• You cannot reply to this topic

Bullies Sectional

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-14, 08:14

In the BCD Teams at the sectional yesterday our opps began with this auction.

(1) - P - very long tank (2)

After the 2 bid I said 'do you agree there was a long pause before the 2 bid?'

2 bidder agreed that she had tanked, her partner however did not agree and simply started
to argue that it wasn't relevant, finishing with a threatening "what are you going to do, call the director?"

I find that this type of intimidating behaviour is not uncommon in BCD games.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-May-14, 08:18

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-14, 08:14, said:

In the BCD Teams at the sectional yesterday our opps began with this auction.

(1) - P - very long tank (2)

After the 2 bid I said 'do you agree there was a long pause before the 2 bid?'

2 bidder agreed that she had tanked, her partner however did not agree and simply started
to argue that it wasn't relevant, finishing with a threatening "what are you going to do, call the director?"

Call the director

Start by asking for a zero tolerance infraction
Follow up by registering that the was a hitch
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-14, 08:40

In an auction like 1 - pass - (sloooowww) 2, I honestly wouldn't bother with the usual, "do you agree there was a hesitation"? I would just let it go. Its going to be difficult to sort out the UI six bids later. Contrast this with a tank after a high level competitive sequence where its clear to protect yourself.

You are probably dealing with newer players that don't understand the the concept of reserving your rights.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 08:47

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-14, 08:40, said:

In an auction like 1 - pass - (sloooowww) 2, I honestly wouldn't bother with the usual, "do you agree there was a hesitation"? I would just let it go. Its going to be difficult to sort out the UI six bids later.

Might the infraction not come earlier than that? Having said that, it's hard to see what a slow 2D suggests - it might be a 9-count, or if opps are inexperienced (which they are by the sound of their attitude) it might be an 18-count.

I think calling the TD is best here. He can friendly-ly explain that the OP has every right to ask about a hesitation.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-14, 08:57

finishing with a threatening "what are you going to do, call the director?"

Just say mildly, "yes, it's best if we establish the facts now."

A good solution is not playing in them.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 09:13

You are probably dealing with newer players that don't understand the the concept of reserving your rights.
which is exactly why you call the director and let him explain the concept to the newbies.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-May-14, 09:15

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-14, 08:57, said:

Not everyone is born a Flight A-caliber player.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-14, 09:25

In an auction like 1 - pass - (sloooowww) 2, I honestly wouldn't bother with the usual, "do you agree there was a hesitation"? I would just let it go. Its going to be difficult to sort out the UI six bids later. Contrast this with a tank after a high level competitive sequence where its clear to protect yourself.

I see the difference between 1 tank 2 and a tank after a high level competitive sequence but I'm not sure that I don't want to protect my rights here. This was not a hitch but a significant BIT. I don't know what the long pause suggests, I don't know the opponents system but that is for the director to sort out later, if needed.
It should be a simple matter to establish the BIT here.

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-14, 08:57, said:

What a fabuloos suggestion.

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-May-14, 09:13, said:

which is exactly why you call the director and let him explain the concept to the newbies.

Agree. Unfortunately I think the BIT may be addressed but not the bullying.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-14, 09:51

Again, I wouldn't worry about this one.

If you start reserving your rights every time your opponent tanks, you are in for a long, unpleasant day.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-14, 09:55

I agree with Phil's philosophy about this situation, while not disagreeing with Jilly's techincal right to say what she said or to call the TD when the facts were not stipulated.

The one opponent who actually hesitated seems to have understood and responded objectively. The opening bidder seems to have (incorrectly, I hope) felt he/she was the one being intimidated. ZT would not be appropriate here, merely education about reserving one's rights by establishing agreement on the facts.

BTW, I don't ever recall either our side or the opponents ever attempting a stipulation about a slow first response in an uncontested auction. If it were my partner who had made the slow bid, I would agree about the B.I.T and get on with matters. The "UI" I possess is that she finally came up with the appropriate game-forcing response and has a follow-up plan in keeping with our system.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-14, 10:18

If it makes any difference, the 2 bidder was a passed hand. I didn't post the auction correctly sorry, my focus was on my lho, not the bidding sequence :)
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-14, 10:40

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-14, 10:18, said:

If it makes any difference, the 2 bidder was a passed hand. I didn't post the auction correctly sorry, my focus was on my lho, not the bidding sequence :)

It merely would eliminate "game-force" from my last paragraph. It doesn't change anything relevant to what occurred, since that paragraph was a side issue.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-14, 11:06

Your obnoxious opponent doesn't sound like a beginner to me. It sounds more like someone who's been playing for years without ever becoming any good. Anyway, I would respond with "That's a good idea. Director please."

Personally I wouldn't bother to complain about the player's behaviour - life's too short. Just get the facts agreed before the other opponent gets a chance to change her mind.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-May-14, 11:45

"Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Director, please."

If I was feeling particularly passive-aggressive today, I would explain everything that happened, in calm polite tones, exactly as I remembered hearing it, ending with "and opener said 'no, there wasn't a long hesitation, and it isn't relevant anyway, and what are you going to do, call the Director?' I'm not sure there's any issue, but I figured it was best to call."
If I was even more passive-aggressive, I would add "[best to call], on LHO's suggestion." but I think that would be pushing it a bit.

It sounds (knowing the 2 bidder is a passed hand) that she was trying to remember if she played 2-way Drury with this partner or not. Probably not an issue, but not something I would want to have the discussion about at the end of the hand if we hadn't had this discussion after 2 :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 13:34

:rolleyes:

Answer seems very simple to me

Do Not stand for bullying Fetch the TD that is partially what TD is there for to Stop this type of thing happening :angry:

#16 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-15, 07:15

In some ways, the responses suggesting that it is not worth establishing a hesitation are red herrings. Yes, it may not be worth the trouble, and I would not, but once you have done so you must not stand for bullying: call the TD.

As for playing in B/C/D events, bridge is meant to be a pleasant social yet challenging game. While someone like myself will always play in the highest level game I am allowed to, and have felt that way since my university days, that certainly does not apply to everyone. The fact that it is a B/C/D game is no excuse whatever for unpleasantness of this sort, and we must deal with rude players at that level.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#17 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-15, 08:48

I too would rather get bloodied and beaten in A/X than play in B/C/D but this usually only happens when I am playing with someone who
does not qualify for B/C/D. It is very hard impossible to persuade a B/C/D team to play in A/X, some partners will play up.

Having played a few times now in both B/C/D and A/X, I have experienced more unpleasantness and unethical behaviour in B/C/D.
(still learning)

#18 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-15, 10:19

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-15, 08:48, said:

Having played a few times now in both B/C/D and A/X, I have experienced more unpleasantness and unethical behaviour in B/C/D.

Someone once said: "Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity".

I think most of the unethical behavior you see in B/C/D events is simply players not knowing better, that is they are not consciously doing improper things. In A/X, they are at least supposed to know better, though they often do not.

#19 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-May-15, 15:15

..., finishing with a threatening "what are you going to do, call the director?"

I would suggest replying "Yes", calling the TD, telling him the exchange with the opponents, and mentioning zero tolerance.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-15, 15:34

Has anyone had any experience in calling the director on these zero tolerance matters?
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users