Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

robot questions

#1 User is offline   micamb 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 06:26

I have been playing 'quick games' and learning. But could someone put my mind to rest on some points:
1. I return their suit (disappointing) but they don't lead mine.
2. I reply 1nt to a suit opening (in case they are strong) but if the reply is forcing I can't make it with 6-10.
3. I often bid 2nt- inviting 3 with max points. Where another meaning is implied this bid is lost.
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 06:30

About (1), the bots use a different process to decide what to lead than a human. The result is that they make passive leads much more often, because they "trust" you to make the right switch when needed. So, no special care should be taken to return the bot's suit if a spot card is led.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 06:35

1. Yes, GIB likes passive leads and hopes you will return its real suit, not the suit of its opening lead. Not always, but more often than most humans would. Gotta get used to it.

2. 1NT is forcing and shows appr. 6-11. You can make that call with the hands you are used to (if you used to play SA or Acol or such) but also with slightly stronger hands, basically any hands that can't force to game.

3. Yes, a 2NT response to a major suit opening shows a game forcing raise of opener's suit. With 11 points and no fit you respond 1NT. Depending on opener's rebid you will often bid 2NT at your second turn, for example:
1-1NT
2-2NT*
which shows your values.

GIB's system (2/1 GF) is what is played by most advanced players on BBO and in many other places (especially if you live in North America) so it is useful to learn that system.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users