BBO Discussion Forums: Tough Rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough Rebid Underbid or Overbid

Poll: Do you take the under or over? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your rebid?

1. 3C (17 votes [58.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.62%

2. 2H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 3D Mini-Splinter (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

5. 2NT (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. Something Else (9 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 22:34

Do you take the High Road or Low Road?

Thanks! :unsure:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 22:42

this is a very very typical death hand in 2/1

this is an old old prb in 2/1

you pick your poison.

I will try 3c here but Understand other choices---

--

many play a toy here 2nt to show this hand.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 23:23

I'll say that without partnership discussion, I have to bid 3. I take away 3 points for the lack of a 4th trump, but then add 2 back for a singleton with 3 trump, and a point or two more for a nice hand. I won't force to 4 because I need partner to have a 5th trump or at least 8 HCP for game, unless my partner was Garozzo or someone similar.

What mike777 is going on about is that a few people use 2 as either a reverse into Diamonds, or a hand that would rebid 2NT. That frees up 2NT to show this "Death Hand", as well as showing any 15+ HCP hand with 4 Hearts and 5+ Clubs.

Playing Walsh transfers (assuming legal) or Mexican 2, you also free up a 2NT rebid for this purpose.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-15, 04:04

View Postchasetb, on 2012-May-14, 23:23, said:

Playing Walsh transfers (assuming legal) or Mexican 2, you also free up a 2NT rebid for this purpose.

We also have the artificial 2N, it's even easier with a weak or wide range no trump to organise your no trump ranges to have no gap between 1N opener, 1N rebid and 2N opener (you may also have to downgrade your 2-2-2N a point so Kokish is useful).

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-15, 04:11

2NT in America, 1 in Germany, 3 in England, 2 or 2NT with the appropriate artificiality. Lots of different solutions out there - you pays your money...
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   kriegel 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-15, 13:17

I think I'd try my luck with 1. 3 is probably my second choice, but I think it's a bit heavy for that. This is quite a convincing argument for an artificial 2NT rebid...

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-15, 14:02

I very much like a semi-artificial 2s rebid with this sort of hand (6+ clubs, spade stop (not 4cd), not diamonds, possibly heart support), rather than having to structure things to play an artificial 2nt rebid. Play 1s as a 1rf vs. non-submin responders with natural spade hands that would normally jump shift, catch up later. After 2s, responder can bid 2nt with 5+H 1rf (3h with GF 6+H), 3c with 4H with min to signoff, 3d GF 4- H, else natural. After 2nt, opener can bid 3c nf without support, 3d/3h with, inv/forcing or however you want to structure it. Similar idea can be done over 1d-1h. Credit for idea to article by B.Y. Yang in the K-S mailing list.

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-15, 15:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-15, 04:11, said:

2NT in America, 1 in Germany, 3 in England, 2 or 2NT with the appropriate artificiality. Lots of different solutions out there - you pays your money...

You forgot GGG ( Gnasher's Gameforce Gadget ) The 2S-jump rebid over a 1H response ( my replies ):

1C - 1H
2S! - 2NT! ( asks for clarification )
??
.. 3C = long ; bid was artificial
.. 3D! = ( other minor ) 4 cards
.. 3H = 3 cards , 5+ , bid was artificial
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 17:46

masse24.....

We are ready for North's hand . ( Or at least I am ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#10 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 21:50

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-17, 17:46, said:

masse24.....

We are ready for North's hand . ( Or at least I am ) .

At the table...

:D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#11 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 22:07

This is why systems like precision and polish club are much easier and more natural to play without many agreements than "standard".
You are completely helpless here without good system.

The solution to those problems is "multi-reverse" convention as played by top Italian pairs:
It goes like this:

1C - 1H
2D/2S*

1C - 1S
2D/2H*

1D - 1H
2S**

1D - 1S
2H**

* if there are two "multireverses" available the higher one promises 3 card support in partner's suit and the other denies it.
** if there is only one "multireverse" it's just any 16+

After multireverse you bid as follows:
-relay (cheapiest new suit or 2NT) is any gf, 8+pc after which you bid more or less natural
-other bids are natural and weak

In your example it would go:
1C - 1H
2S* - 3H**
4H

*-16+, any with 3+hearts
**-5-7hcp, 5+hearts

This is vastly superior way to play comparing to standard or "strong reverse" which is just full of holes and basically unplayable (the only thing which prevents you from instantly losing by playing those is that strong hands come up rarely).

Disclaimer: it's a bit simplified version; there are some problems for example what if:
1C - 1H
2S - 3D is better played as GF or weak (Italians play it as GF natural) but those require a lot of partnership work while basic multireverse is quite simple.

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-17, 22:23

One thing that im convinced is that your first forcing bid should be artificial or have a very high frequency.

After 1C-1M-?? If you play 1S as forcing than you should bid 1S with many akward hands. If 1S/1Nt/2C arent forcing and 2D is forcing, I dont really care what 2D should be, but It should have a fairly high frequency and keeping it as pure reverse is simply inferior.

Without artificiality I think I prefer 3H if partner respond light or 2S if partner is sound.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#13 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 23:52

After 1C-1M-?? If you play 1S as forcing than you should bid 1S with many akward hands.

It's not so simple. You need a bid for strong hands but if you mix some weak and strong hands together in say 1S then you will not untangle it without losing on some frequent hands.
If it goes:

1C - 1H and you have 12hcp and 4 spades here you need to bid 1S here, if you put some non-spade strong hand there you are in tough spot after very common 2S or 3S rebid. If partner can't bid those with usual hands your in trouble on basic hands.
This is why you need bids which are unambiguously strong. Reverses are perfect for the purpose because they are rare as natural bids, you usually play a partial in partner's suit or your long suit if strength of combined hands is not enough for game and if it's enough for game you have enough space to explore.

#14 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-18, 05:42

GGG strikes again ... :)
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#15 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-May-18, 06:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-15, 04:11, said:

How would our Italian Gazzilli friends bid this hand? 1-of-a-suit in their system promises an unbalanced hand. Maybe something like this?
1 = Suit, unbalanced
1 = Natural
2 = Gazzilli?
2 = Natural 5-7 HCP
4 = Natural, signoff

#16 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-18, 06:13

View Postmasse24, on 2012-May-17, 21:50, said:

At the table...

:D

so this is a very difficult problem but this type we have an easy answer this time

we bid 3d

3c again is very wide range here, very wide.

we bid 3d and hope we survive but of course this could be a disaster.

passing 3c is shooting for a very narrow answer that can be a disaster also.

for me it helps to know that pard does not, does not have bal or semi bal hand with long clubs and 14+
pard has shortness, somewhere.

here one wonders why the opp never bid D.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-18, 07:08

View Post32519, on 2012-May-18, 06:02, said:

How would our Italian Gazzilli friends bid this hand?

Or with strong club:-

1 = 15+ nat/bal or 18+ any
... - 1 = (almost) any non-GF
1 = 18-20 any or 23+ bal
... - 1 = relay
2 = 5+ clubs, unbal
... - 2 = nat
3 = nat
... - 3 = nat
3 = nat
... - 4
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-18, 07:37

I am shocked that 3C is winning here. I think it's terrible bid. I much prefer 3D or 2N or even playing "American Standard". Those bids gives you chances for finding 5-3 heart game and guarantee finding it if partner has 6 hearts while after 3C even that will not be enough.

#19 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-18, 10:56

View Postmasse24, on 2012-May-14, 22:34, said:

Do you take the High Road or Low Road?

Thanks! :unsure:

I take Route XYZ:

1C-1H
1S*-2H**
4H

* = forcing (SNT base, inv+ spl in all suits)
** = weak, 5+H

#20 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-18, 15:55

It's not so simple. You need a bid for strong hands but if you mix some weak and strong hands together in say 1S then you will not untangle it without losing on some frequent hands.
If it goes:

1C - 1H and you have 12hcp and 4 spades here you need to bid 1S here, if you put some non-spade strong hand there you are in tough spot after very common 2S or 3S rebid. If partner can't bid those with usual hands your in trouble on basic hands.
This is why you need bids which are unambiguously strong. Reverses are perfect for the purpose because they are rare as natural bids, you usually play a partial in partner's suit or your long suit if strength of combined hands is not enough for game and if it's enough for game you have enough space to explore.

If you bid 1S with any strong hand holding at least 3S and have decent follow up you wont have a problem IMO. If all others strong bid denies 3S (Hxx) you will be very well placed in the long run. Its an illusion that you need to split out strenght right away, what you need is to be able to control the auction IE having decent follow up no matter what partner respond. Strong hand are often protected by the ability to take an extra bid because of the unexpected strenght.

Playing 1S forcing I would prefer to bid 1S with a fair amount of 18-19 bal holding 3S for example. So that my 2NT can be artificial or if its natural its going to show nice stops in the unbid suit or denies Hxx in S for example.

In many auction the optimal pattern

1st step = many thing,2nd= fairly precise,3rd precise etc..

With keeping the 1st forcing bid with a fairly wide meaning (either catch-all, relay asking partner to describe more or quasi forced puppet allowing you to make a further description) you can rarely go wrong IMO. This is especially true for reverse & strong jump shift and for their responses.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users