BBO Discussion Forums: Good hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good hand

Poll: Good hand (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you lead?

1. Spade (15 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Heart (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

3. Diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Club (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-20, 02:52

3H showed no 4- or 5-card major

edit: imps

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 04:34

ten of spades

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 06:53

I prefer the spade ten to a heart.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:18

We have to assume we can beat this. Therefore partner has to take a lot of tricks.

We aren't leading clubs, and diamonds seems unlikely to be best.

At mps, the 10 stands out, as the most passive lead.

But here, as stated above, we are hoping for a set. While partner will have 5 more often than he has 5s, it is the latter holding that offers the best chance for a set, finding the opps hopelessly duplicated in their 2-2 fit, so I am leading a heart.

There are other holdings on which the heart works: Kx in dummy, with Qxx in declarer's hand, for example. While the spade suit also offers some possibilities, I think the heart is slightly more likely to produce a set if a set is available.

It stands more chance of blowing a trick immediately than does the spade 10, but I'm not looking to make a safe lead on this auction.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:24

If 3 NT can be beaten, it will have to be with long suit tricks from partner's hand. Opener has advertised no 4 card or longer major, so is more likely to have 4=4, 5=3, or 3=5 in the minors than any 4-3-3-3 hand.

10 seems best guess for hitting partner's major holding, if any, and more likely not to give anything away.

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 17:25

@ mikeh

Declarer has shown 4 cards ( Stayman reply ).
And has denied 4 cards ( since no "correction' to 4S ) .

I missed the "Muppet" reply.

Still, I'm leading the 10 .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-20, 17:31

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-20, 17:25, said:

@ mikeh

Declarer has shown 4 cards ( Stayman reply ).
And has denied 4 cards ( since no "correction' to 4S ) .

FrancesHinden, on 2012-May-20, 02:52, said:

3H showed no 4- or 5-card major

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 19:51

T for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:03

what was the layout?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:08

mikeh, on 2012-May-20, 14:18, said:

We have to assume we can beat this. Therefore partner has to take a lot of tricks.

We aren't leading clubs, and diamonds seems unlikely to be best.

At mps, the 10 stands out, as the most passive lead.

But here, as stated above, we are hoping for a set. While partner will have 5 more often than he has 5s, it is the latter holding that offers the best chance for a set, finding the opps hopelessly duplicated in their 2-2 fit, so I am leading a heart.

There are other holdings on which the heart works: Kx in dummy, with Qxx in declarer's hand, for example. While the spade suit also offers some possibilities, I think the heart is slightly more likely to produce a set if a set is available.

It stands more chance of blowing a trick immediately than does the spade 10, but I'm not looking to make a safe lead on this auction.

I agree completely.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-28, 17:24

rhm, on 2012-May-26, 08:08, said:

I agree completely.

Rainer Herrmann

i completely agree with this agreement:)) go mikeH

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-29, 12:33

The 10 of spades was led at both tables.
A heart lead beats it. Declarer has two spade stops and two heart stops and needs to knock out two minor suit cards. However, once you have knocked out the two heart stops you have two long heart tricks to cash along with the ace of spades. Once you knocked out the two spade stops, you only have one spade to cash, because you don't have enough spades between you to set up the long ones.

I was declarer, but I thought a heart was obvious and was surprised it was a flat board.

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:04

I like this thread. The arguments for the heart lead are quite convincing, but I would like to check it with a double dummy simulation. In order to get the specifications right I wonder if your partner would often bid 3C without holding a 4-card major. What do you think?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:08

I think the less you have, the more you have to lead a long suit, more often than people think the only real hope is to find a suit with 2-2 distribution on the opponents.

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2012-May-30, 13:34

han, on 2012-May-30, 09:04, said:

I like this thread. The arguments for the heart lead are quite convincing, but I would like to check it with a double dummy simulation. In order to get the specifications right I wonder if your partner would often bid 3C without holding a 4-card major. What do you think?

We were discussing how to run a simulation on this. Some questions are answerable and some aren't.

The auction was similar at both tables, although I think at the other table it was simply 2C-2D- 2NT - 3C Stayman - 3D no major - 3NT, so dummy had promised a 4-card major.

We play 2NT-3NT (or via 2C) as artificial, so in our auction dummy had not promised a major. But responder could have bid 3S to force 3NT rather than go through 3C and reveal something of opener's shape. That means either that he was interested in a major suit fit (including a 5-3 one if responder was, say, 1354), or that he thought 3C was less likely to be doubled for the lead than 3S. That might encourage a spade lead in theory, but the opponents didn't ask any of these questions before leading.

The style of responses to 2C might be relevant; at both tables it was the 'English' approach where 2D is any negative or a positive with no suit and 2H/2S/2NT are all natural FG. This gives less information about responder's high cards than control showing responses, or semi-negative or similar.

Also I made the vulnerability game all. The position is different NV, because some pairs are very aggressive overcallers after 2C P 2D; if you were playing us then 4th seat would virtually have denied, say, AJ8xx in spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users