BBO Discussion Forums: Thoughts? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts? Is this worth using?

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-May-24, 22:44

In response to a 1C opening (Better minor w/inverted, 12-19 HCP), are these responses worth it?

1C > 3+C 12-19 HCP
-1D > 4+H 6+ HCP
--1H > 4H 12-14 HCP (if weak NT, shows unbalanced shape, 5+C, 4H)
--2H > 4H 15-17 HCP (if std NT, shows unbalanced shape, 5+C, 4H)
--3H > 4H 18-19 HCP

1C > 3+C 12-19 HCP
-1H > 4+S 6+ HCP
--1S > 4S 12-14 HCP

1C > 3+C 12-19 HCP
-1S > 4+D 6+ HCP
--1N > balanced 12-14 HCP
--2D > 5+C, 4+D 12-14 HCP

1C > 3+C 12-19 HCP
-1N > balanced 6-9 HCP

My thoughts are that by doing this, we leave room to describe our hands further without going too high. The typical 1C-1D bids now become 1C-1S block 4th seat from showing a major without going to the 2 level. The downside, however, is that 1C-1D-1H leaves room for opponents to come into the bidding. Doubles could also be made to show suit during the artificial bids.

Does the good outweigh the bad?
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 23:07

No. Your structure should be organized to save room when you have a fit and spend it when you do.

Maybe something like...

1C-1D
.....1H-two hearts balanced 12-14 or 1-3-(54)
.....1S-four spades (not 4-2-x-x 12-14 bal)
.....1N-three hearts balanced 12-14
.....2m-natural
.....2H-4 hearts, weak raise

This lets responder pass 1H with a 5-2 fit. When opener rebids 1N, responder can correct to play a 5-3 fit at the 2-level.

1C-1H
.....1S-two spades balanced 12-14 or 3-(541)
.....1N-12-14 balanced with three spades
.....2S-4 spades, weak raise

#3 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-27, 09:12

If you hate playing 3H you can always use 2D as a H raise with extras. It wrongside the H contract but give you more security.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-29, 15:38

Read one of the (many) threads on T-Walsh. Your proposed structure has very few of the benefits (e.g. allowing light responses). Showing 4-card support at the 1-level is a huge waste of a bid. You want to use low-level bids when you don't have a fit, not when you do.

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-June-02, 00:07

As said above, showing 4-card support at the 1-level isn't very useful, since with an 8-card fit you will always bid to at least two of your suit, and all the space in between is wasted - you are never going to play any of the contracts in between 1 and 2 of your suit.

Most people I know who play transfers to 1 club do this:

- Bidding the transfer = exactly 3-card support, any HCP or shape, OR 4-card support with a weak hand (11-13 HCP) (opener will repeat hearts over whatever partner or opponents do next)
- Bidding the transfer at the 2-level shows 4-card support and 14-16 HCP, at the 3-level 4-card support and 17-19 HCP (you can bid game if you think you can make it opposite Q to five hearts and nothing else).
- Anything else denies support and is natural

A good reason for playing this way is if you play transfers after a 1-1-1 auction, you can bid really really well so the more often they happen the better. If opener is going to not let a 1-1-1 auction start (he raises the suit to the 2-level or higher, or rebids his suit, etc) then there should be good definition so responder can know what to do. E.g. if he has a six card heart suit and the auction starts 1 1 2, he can forget about his hearts, since having denied 3 cards, opener will be extremely happy to offer his 2-card support at a later stage. The auction could continue 1 1 2 2 (natural) 2 4
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users