BBO Discussion Forums: What do you open? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you open?

Poll: What do you open? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

SAYC

1. 1C (19 votes [52.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.78%

2. 1N (17 votes [47.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-May-24, 10:53

This may not be extremely interesting, but I will put it here for opinions. You are playing a very standard 2455 system. It is MP at a mid-level local club. You count your cards, flip them over, and see...

KJ7
AKQJ2

I chose to open 1NT over 1C. I had 2 very bad suits, but I felt that the possibility of making 5 club tricks alone upgraded this to a 1NT opening. I also felt I am far too strong to reply 1NT to a 1C-1H/S reply. By bidding 1NT, I also have a better chance to find out about 5 card majors from partner directly.

Do you all agree w/ my choice?
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 10:55

NV for everyone if that affects your decision.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-24, 11:40

I open 1NT in a robot duplicate. With a real partner, I open 1.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 11:42

Looks like a 15-17 NT opening to me. Maybe a tick short of saying WTP, but :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 11:47

Thanks for input. The only situation I saw of this hand gaining more information from a 1C opening is if partner replies 1NT, 2C, or 3C. I do not know the odds of the distribution denying my partner a 4 card major, but I can tell they are lower than average. The other thing about putting NT into your hand is that I prefer my partner declaring a NT contract, but you cannot always get it the way you want. A 2C rebid is too weak IMO, and 2D is out of the question as you will be signaling a reverse.

Edit: 2C/3C not inverted would say much also...

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 14:18

I agree the hand is easily worth 1NT in terms of playing strength, however:

1. It may wrong side a NT contract.

2. It goes against the field. In a weak field at MP people will be point counters and card play will be poor as well. So you need to be right a lot more than half the time if you take a position early in the hand. And missing a game that everyone else misses doesn't matter if partner takes one trick more than most of them.

3. If opponents enter the auction, there is a risk that partner will under-compete as our ODR is unusually high for a 1NT opening. Either that or we will have to unilaterally back in with 3.

So I think 1NT has too much wrong with it.

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 14:34

1nt white in 3rd seat otherwise 1 for all of nigels reasons.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 15:09

I voted 1, with no particular conviction. I can see myself bidding 1N as well, but given that it's a mid-level field, it's likely going against the field.

OTOH, it forces them to come in at the 2-level...
foobar on BBO

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-24, 15:10

nigel_k, on 2012-May-24, 14:18, said:

I agree the hand is easily worth 1NT in terms of playing strength, however:

1. It may wrong side a NT contract.

2. It goes against the field. In a weak field at MP people will be point counters and card play will be poor as well. So you need to be right a lot more than half the time if you take a position early in the hand. And missing a game that everyone else misses doesn't matter if partner takes one trick more than most of them.

3. If opponents enter the auction, there is a risk that partner will under-compete as our ODR is unusually high for a 1NT opening. Either that or we will have to unilaterally back in with 3.

So I think 1NT has too much wrong with it.

1. Or it might not; or it might not matter. We don't wait for protected cards in all the suits to show size and shape.

2. Going against a weak field with bids which suit our methods doesn't bother us.

3. Flip side, here: The opponents might well underbid with their (likely) high ODR. It is rare to want to bid game when the other side has opened a strong NT, and that will be their mindset even if game is on for them.
3a. If they compete I am not backing in with 3 and give them another chance to bid a major suit game.

4. If partner overbids, I have some really good tricks for her. Might even be one of those double game swing hands.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-25, 01:23

Those opening 1 - what is the rebid if partner responds with 1 of a suit? Are you treating the hand as having 6 clubs or downgrading to a weak NT? Are you tempted to raise if partner's response is 1?
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 01:36

Easy 1N NV. It is a good preempt.

#12 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-May-25, 06:37

I don't want to play in 1NT with 2 weak suits. I would open 1 and rebid 2 after a 1/1 response, saying this hand should play clubs.

#13 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 12:36

ArtK78, on 2012-May-24, 11:40, said:

I open 1NT in a robot duplicate. With a real partner, I open 1.

Not sure why that would matter. 1NT has several things going for it:

avoids rebid problems
keeps opps from bidding a major at the one level
makes the stronger player declarer :)

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-25, 19:46

dboxley, on 2012-May-25, 12:36, said:

(1NT)
makes the stronger player declarer :)

Do you mean your partner is the weaker player?

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 04:44

JLOGIC, on 2012-May-25, 01:36, said:

Easy 1N NV. It is a good preempt.

If you want to preempt play weak notrumps, what this hand is worth.
Like most overbids you may get lucky, but this hand will go down in 3NT opposite most balanced nine counts.

I ran a simulation to prove my point, giving partner a balanced hand with 9-10 HCP
Average number of tricks: 7.5 (add 0.2 tricks if you like for single dummy play)
3NT was down 75% of the time (1000 random deals)

Pretending to play strong notrump but then upgrading weak notrumps non-vulnerable is at least problematic if only your partner knows your tendencies.
Giving opponents the impression that they are contending against a strong notrump certainly increases the preemptive effect in a dubious manner.

Rainer Herrmann

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-26, 16:18

rhm, on 2012-May-26, 04:44, said:

If you want to preempt play weak notrumps, what this hand is worth.
Like most overbids you may get lucky, but this hand will go down in 3NT opposite most balanced nine counts.

I ran a simulation to prove my point, giving partner a balanced hand with 9-10 HCP
Average number of tricks: 7.5 (add 0.2 tricks if you like for single dummy play)
3NT was down 75% of the time (1000 random deals)

Pretending to play strong notrump but then upgrading weak notrumps non-vulnerable is at least problematic if only your partner knows your tendencies.
Giving opponents the impression that they are contending against a strong notrump certainly increases the preemptive effect in a dubious manner.

Rainer Herrmann

OP did not say their NT range but if it is 14-16, i doubt you will end up in 3 NT at mp when he holds 9-10 hcp. And if it is 15-17 you will end up playing 3 NT when pd has 10 hcp. Rest you will pretty much end up in 2 NT at mps.

You may end up going down in 2 NT, but depending on vulnerability this actually may turn out to be a good score, as a result of preemptive function of 1NT.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-May-26, 16:46

rhm, on 2012-May-26, 04:44, said:

You have a 14 count and a good 5 card suit.
Plenty of people would consider this suitable for a strong NT opening.

It would be interesting to understand how often 3NT went down based on quick losers...
Alderaan delenda est

#18 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 17:17

1NT for me, describes shape and strength well. Opening 1 leaves it too hard to convey the strength. Clearly it's reasonable to treat the clubs as a six carder, but do we underbid with 2 or overbid with 3 on our rebid. This hand is a systemic gain for bid clubbers, it is clear IMHO in that context to open 2: about as preemptive as 1NT and a better description. Big clubbers also have systemic loses on other types of hands, of course.

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 04:16

MrAce, on 2012-May-26, 16:18, said:

OP did not say their NT range but if it is 14-16, i doubt you will end up in 3 NT at mp when he holds 9-10 hcp. And if it is 15-17 you will end up playing 3 NT when pd has 10 hcp. Rest you will pretty much end up in 2 NT at mps.

You may end up going down in 2 NT, but depending on vulnerability this actually may turn out to be a good score, as a result of preemptive function of 1NT.

OP did say

RunemPard, on 2012-May-24, 10:53, said:

... You are playing a very standard 2455 system....

besides the poll says SAYC, not a system known for a 14-16 NT range and the whole issue would hardly have been raised playing 14-16 NT range.
I tend to bid 3NT with 9 HCP opposite a 15-17 notrump range, but if you play 15-17 only on the convention card this may not be so clever and a more conservative approach may be indicated.
But some would call that cheating or fielding.
Admittedly a lot of Bridge players live under the illusion that any hand with a good 5 card suit should be upgraded and no evidence to the contrary will change their mind.
What is true about the above hand is that in a trump contract the above hand has a high ODR (offense/defense ratio).
For you I have repeated the simulation with partner having exactly 10 HCP balanced.
Now trick average is 7.8 and 3NT still goes down on 2 out of 3 deals.

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-May-27, 08:10

I agree that if partner bids 3N with a 9 or 10 count it probably won't be good on average, there is no debate there. And I will probably often wrongside it when it is our hand for 3N. I still think it will be a winning action to open 1N because it will often be their hand when I have 2 small 3 small in the majors, and white/white at MP if it is their hand and they have a harder time competing effectively that is very good for us. Every action has some plusses and some minuses, looking at only the times when a bid will lose and running a simulation of those times is not a good way to evaluate whether it is a good bid or not.

Accusing me of being unethical or cheating because I open 1N with 14 and a good 5 card suit is pretty lol. But fwiw I always write/say 14+-17 or 13+-16 or 10+-13 whatever my range is. I also always tell the opps in a knockout match when they ask our system "all ranges can be upgraded by 1 and are done so more liberally not vulnerable and in third seat." If they ask about my shape I say very liberal on all reasonable shapes (5422, 5 card major, 6 card minor). I view this as adequate disclosure of my style, though perhaps in pair games it is harder and usually they only hear 14+-17 since they don't go over your system at the beginning of the round, but perfect disclosure in pair games is always harder than in knockout matches.

edit: For example, here is my system summary form from the last USBF event I played:

http://usbf.org/inde...fid=962&pid=186

"Ranges are flexible and upgrades are frequent, downgrades not frequent."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users