K64
J753
QJ4
KJ4

opponents not vulnerable, you deal and pass, you play 15-17 NT

pass-(pass)-1-(1)
dble-( 3 )-dble-(pass)
???

your first double doesn't 100% guarantee 4 but the only non 4h holding is a 8-11 balanced hand without stopper. No explicit agreements about partner's double.

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-16, 15:50

I expect they are down two so would pass at any other vul (assuming IMPs). But 300 instead of 600 is not great so will try 3NT here. They may even bid 4.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-16, 15:51

3NT.

My first thought was pass, which is probably a safe +300 or so. Diamond to partner, trump return won by the ace, get in somehow, two more rounds of trumps. The opponents making four long trumps, a ruff in dummy, and two side-suit tricks.

300 isn't much compensation for a vulnerable game, though. We have a lot of high cards in partner's long suits, which suggests playing the hand. x Kxx AKxxx A10xx is enough for 3NT to be good.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-16, 16:41

3NT also... for the reasons given above.

Opener's DBL was "Competitive" -- " I want to compete further but I am not sure what to bid " .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-17, 17:15

I though doubling with 4 hearts was more normal than people here think.

partner held this time:

A
Q9x
AK10xx
Axxx

A sad/fun anecdote happened. I won the lead with A and asked for a club from dummy, my RHO played 2 by mistake and I asked him if he was sure he had no clubs. He said oh sorry, put the 2 face up on his right side and played 2, my J won the trick

now I though that I should take advantage of penalty card and played a heart to the 9. He won the 10 and moved the 2 to the middle of the table.

Now, a very experienced player from a top team on my left said, no, the 2 is not a penalty card, and he pretended that his partner was able to play something else!

He called director and explained something about no penalty because no call to director or something, director said it was penalty card and must be played. But I almost said to him that he is an asshole. maybe they would punnish me, but who cares, I was just saying the truth.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-17, 19:23

A friend of mine and I recently had a discussion about whether the difference between an asshole and a jerk is a difference in kind, or merely a difference in degree. We decided it is a difference in kind. Your opponent is a jerk, not an asshole (based solely on this evidence — additional evidence may show he really is an asshole :P ). Either way, he's his own worst enemy — don't lower yourself by calling him names.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-17, 21:47

View PostFluffy, on 2012-June-17, 17:15, said:

He called director and explained something about no penalty because no call to director or something, director said it was penalty card and must be played. But I almost said to him that he is an asshole. maybe they would punnish me, but who cares, I was just saying the truth.

Playing in a world juniors once, I was alerting by pointing my finger and looking him in the eye for confirmation that he saw it. He was doing the same. You can foresee whats gonna happen now, he had a bad result and called the director and said I didn't alert. I LOLed. Of course I knew I would lose the ruling since I did not follow correct procedure, what an easy mark I must have been for this guy. I wonder how many times he did this. Anyways, I called him a ***** jackass in front of the director but the director did not hear me luckily. The guy started flipping out saying I said that and I am not ashamed to say that I denied it.

Anyways, moral of the story is if you don't know your opps then follow the letter of the law precisely since they might try and do stuff like this. It is disgusting but there it is. This includes stuff like if there is a break in tempo, it's pretty standard to just say "do you agree there was a break in tempo?" If they do then you can save some time since if you call the director on a BIT they will just try to confirm that there was one then say to call them back if necessary. Of course, you must trust your opps to do this, otherwise they might dispute there was a BIT later and lie that you said anything about it at the time. Also, write everything down and alert with the alert card etc if you don't know your opps so they can't lie.

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-June-18, 08:39

Obv we're off topic now, but at the weekend jallerton was at the other table (I think he was dummy, but might have been declarer) when:
- declarer ruffed a club in hand, with spades trumps, and led a diamond
- declarer's RHO hadn't seen the ruff and thought he'd won the trick, and tried to lead a heart.

Both these things happened at much the same time.
The TD was called.

RHO tried to claim that the heart had been played before the diamond, and that declarer was accepting the lead out of turn by following to it with a diamond.
Where do you get these people from?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users