• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revoke (EBU)

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-20, 14:43

I think that law 63A3 is very badly written. Like others, I have *never* seen a defender showing their hand with the intent to accept the claim, only as supporting evidence to partner ("I have no objections; pard?", which is of neutral affect); whereas I have several times seen players (defenders included) showing their hand with intent to make a claim.

I can't imagine it's the intent of the lawmakers to make both facings, with no other context, have the same affect.

Oddly enough, I'd never seen that before.

This looks to me like another one for Grattan's list.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-20, 22:41

I think they were just trying to save some verbiage by combining making and agreeing to a claim in one place, and mentioning the common ways players typically do this. "orally" applies to both, but "by facing his hand" generally only applies to making.

Since they included "or in any other way", the list of methods seems to be superfluous, since they're obviously not meant to be exhaustive (well, including "any other way" tautologically makes it exhaustive). I also don't think it's intended to be definitive, just illustrative. It's still up to the TD to determine whether a claim or agreement has actually occurred.

#23 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-July-21, 03:51

View Postmycroft, on 2012-July-20, 14:43, said:

I can't imagine it's the intent of the lawmakers to make both facings, with no other context, have the same affect.

/grammar police on

Effect, not affect

/grammar police off

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 08:09

View Postbarmar, on 2012-July-20, 22:41, said:

It's still up to the TD to determine whether a claim or agreement has actually occurred.

I agree with this bit.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 13:42

View Postbillw55, on 2012-July-20, 07:17, said:

Interesting, EW agreement seems to be the key point. I based my (apparently knee-jerk) answer on a vague understanding that the laws had moved to toward restoring equity rather than penalizing. I suppose it is a good thing that I am not a director.

Yes, as directors are expected to read the law book, rather than having a vague understanding of it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 11:12

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-July-21, 03:51, said:

/grammar police on
Effect, not affect
/grammar police off

Actually, I meant affect, and I'm not sure I'm not right; in the psychiatric sense of "the intent that the action implies". Now they use it to mean "appearance of *emotion*", and I'm not sure that I can generalize it to "intent".

But English is at least my third language (after Python and K/S), so who knows?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-23, 11:20

View Postmycroft, on 2012-July-23, 11:12, said:

Actually, I meant affect, and I'm not sure I'm not right; in the psychiatric sense of "the intent that the action implies". Now they use it to mean "appearance of *emotion*", and I'm not sure that I can generalize it to "intent".

It's a stretch, IMHO.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users