BBO Discussion Forums: Three decisions, your opinion - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three decisions, your opinion Agree, disagree, why?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:10

MP's all over:

They're red, you're white:

7xx
AQJx
A8
8xxx

Pa-Pa-2*-Pa
???

*5 hearts and 4+ cards in a minor

How do you rate 4?

Again, they're red, you're white:

A8x
AKQTxx
xx
xx

Pa-1-Pa-1
Pa-2-Pa-2
Pa-2-Pa-2
Pa-3-Pa-4
Pa-???

Would you punt to 6 here? Your partner showed a 13+ hand via the 4th suit forcing with 6 spades and diamond cue-bid (he denied, at least momentarily, the club cue-bid).

All white:

Jxx
xxx
T97x
xxx

1N-Pa-2-X
2-Pa-Pa-2
3-???

What would move you to bid 3 here? Incidentally, how do you think the pointed suits are distributed in your partner's hand?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:36

View PostHanoi5, on 2012-July-26, 21:10, said:

1. How do you rate 4?

2. Would you punt to 6 here?

3. What would move you to bid 3 here? \\

1. minus a few hundred %. I assume pard had a 1 bid available with suitable stuff.

2. 4 instead. Since we are going in spades this should be a bit more encouraging than 4 but one of has has to control clubs and it ain't me.

3. An illegal drug, maybe 2 or 3 or the kind you have to mainline.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:38

1) I bid 4H. It may well make.

2) I misbid this hand awfully. What on earth was my nonsensical 2C bid? Why did I not bid 2S over partner's 4th suit forcing? Why should I punt 6S when I know we are off a C control?

3) You are kidding? Yes?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-July-27, 03:57

How do you rate 4?

Quite poorly. Partner made a third seat, green preempt. We already got through them both once. And we want to go against The Law because...?

Would you punt to 6 here?

No, why? Is there something about partner's manner to make me think they are hiding the A or K up their sleeve? It is true that partner might just have a club shortage. If that is the case and 6 does make then I will be ready with apologies for the earlier bidding.

What would move you to bid 3 here? Incidentally, how do you think the pointed suits are distributed in your partner's hand?

A gun aimed at a loved one's head perhaps. I guess partner will have 5-6 diamonds and 4-5 spades although this depends to some extent what an initial 2 overcall from partner would have meant. Most of all I do not really care though - partner has pushed them up a level and I have crud. Even if we do have a 10 card diamond fit here, don't be a slave to The Law!
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-July-27, 04:33

I think 4H on the first hand is automatic. As the hog said, give partner xx Kxxxx Kxxxx x and we may well make it. If 4H does go down, it won't go for a number. They may or may not be cold for 4S, and jumping to 4H may give them a guess. Citing the law here is a joke.

2. You gave us 2 small clubs but made us bid 2C. I don't understand it. Partner has denied a club control (I don't know what's momentarily about it but considering the 2C bid I realize that you play a different game than I do), and we don't have a club control either. Moreover, they will likely lead a club if we jump to slam. It seems obvious to sign off in 4S.

3. I think that partner has 4 spades and 6 diamonds. With 5-5 or 5-6 he might have bid Michaels directly. With 4153 he would have doubled 2H instead of bidding 2S.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-27, 05:28

1. No way I am bidding 4 at MP. At least in my partnership 3rd seat white preempts can be random (from 0 to a reasonable 12 count) so I would probably invite. Its hard to see how can get back into the auction on the 3 level vulnerable when neither could act over 2.

2. Dont understand why you bid 2 in the first place. Anyway, any bid but 4 would guarantee a control for me, so I cant do that. bidding 6 and hoping they dont lead cant be right, they are leading through the hand that showed control in the suit, which is surely attractive.

3. Pass

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-July-27, 11:46

1. If I have a way to get more information about partner's hand, I use it rather than just guess/bash. If he can show me 5-5, for instance, I just go. If he can show me a 5-4 minimum, I'm staying.

2. Why is this an issue? Partner doesn't have a club control, I don't have a club control, 4S is obvious. Oh, and I hate the prior auction. WTF was 2? Because of that really poor bid, partner is going to be reluctant to cue club shortness (or at least he would be reluctant to in my partnerships, where we have an agreement not to cue shortness in partner's suit).

3. I am not bidding normally, but it would take very little, like the onset of insanity, or a partner that I never wanted to play with again opposite, or the threat of physical violence to a loved one, to make me make a free bid here.
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users