#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-31, 15:33

T62

A
AQJ

Spades are trump. Flight B (maybe A-) declarer.

Declarer faces his hand and says "you get a heart".

Do they?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 16:03

No. If were trump, yes.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-31, 17:41

Agreed. Some people will claim that it's extremely careless, but not irrational to play hearts from the bottom if you think you're destined to lose a heart. They're just being silly.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-August-31, 23:02

In the old days, I believed that a line of play that sometimes lost but never gained was always "irrational," in a game-theoretic sense, and interpreted "careless or inferior but not irrational" to mean "any line that is not dominated by another line."

But there was a thread on the Laws list, years ago, where we discussed AQT9x opposite K87x, and a majority formed the view that king-first was merely careless, because world class players had done it.

Put me of the view that, if the laws said what I wanted them to say, no heart trick is lost here.... but as things currently stand... he's already said he is giving up on whatever remote chances he had of dropping the king, and if he wants to give the trick away I let him. On my more charitable days I would give it back to him if I were East.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 00:22

Is a concession of one of four remaining tricks a suggestion that play be curtailed?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 00:47

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-September-01, 00:22, said:

Is a concession of one of four remaining tricks a suggestion that play be curtailed?

Certainly yes.
It is one way of claiming three of the four tricks.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-01, 07:32

Follow-on question: Is it possible to concede some, but not all, of the remaining tricks without claiming the rest?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-01, 07:39

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-31, 15:33, said:

T62

A
AQJ

Spades are trump. Flight B (maybe A-) declarer.

Declarer faces his hand and says "you get a heart".

Do they?

Yes.

I have frequently heard claims of the form "unless the king is singleton, you get a heart" in which case declarer gets all the tricks.
But without saying that, the thought of stiff K hasn't occurred to him, so there's no reason he would start with the ace.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-01, 07:45

Declarer is not paying attention. Clearly in this situation the right move is to play the A and then claim. Or say, as part of his claim statement, that he will do that. Of course, as the lady said in the post-mortem, perhaps he "didn't come here to think, he came here to play bridge!" :lol:
--------------------

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-01, 07:46

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-September-01, 07:32, said:

Follow-on question: Is it possible to concede some, but not all, of the remaining tricks without claiming the rest?

I think it is technically possible but usually happens in cases where it is arguable whether or not declarer is actually making a claim or concession.
Examples:

Declarer leads towards dummy's KJ and starts thinking; RHO says "I've got the AQ" declarer says "I'll be losing two tricks in this suit then"
Declarer's in a slam with a trump suit of Axxxx opposite Kxxx, he cashes the ace and someone discards, and he says "OK I'm going off, I've got two trump losers"

This matters, because if declarer's claiming for one off in his slam, his play in the other suits will be judged by the claim rules, while in fact the play may require some more detailed attention to avoid going two off which declarer fully intends to give.

In practice, declarer makes some statement like "you get a heart and a club" making the "...and I have the rest" implicit.

#11 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 09:17

I would never give the defense a trick here. I think the type of players who aren't good enough to think of singleton K here are the same ones who don't just randomly play suits in any order but top down. Every time I say that someone tries to provide a counterexample but I still think it's true 95++% of the time.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#12 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 11:23

I would never claim a trick as east. I would be embarrassed if I were west in a club and my partner tried to claim a trick here. I would feel differently if I were playing a major tournament, I think at high levels it is reasonable to hold players to a higher standard in claims.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#13 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-01, 11:30

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-01, 07:46, said:

I think it is technically possible but usually happens in cases where it is arguable whether or not declarer is actually making a claim or concession.
Examples:

Declarer leads towards dummy's KJ and starts thinking; RHO says "I've got the AQ" declarer says "I'll be losing two tricks in this suit then"

Me, I'll win the K.

#14 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2012-September-01, 14:22

View Postaxman, on 2012-September-01, 11:30, said:

Me, I'll win the K.

how?

#15 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 16:45

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-01, 14:22, said:

how?

After getting a ruling that the AQ are PCs I play the K and require the Q played under it.

#16 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 18:23

View Postaxman, on 2012-September-01, 16:45, said:

After getting a ruling that the AQ are PCs I play the K and require the Q played under it.

"I've got the AQ" is a claim in that situation. But even if it weren't, it is dispicible to try and get a trick out of that. He told you he had the AQ as a favor, to everyone at the table including you, to save you time and you brain cells. It would be like if someone reaches out his hand to help you across a puddle, and you use the opportunity to pull him into the puddle so you can walk on him and stay even drier.
- billw55

#17 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 18:38

View Postaxman, on 2012-September-01, 16:45, said:

After getting a ruling that the AQ are PCs

Who's going to give you that ruling?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#18 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 19:23

View Postgordontd, on 2012-September-01, 18:38, said:

You.

LAW 49 - ... when a defender names a card as being in his hand, each such card becomes a penalty card (Law 50);

LAW 50D.1. (a) A major penalty card must be played at the first legal opportunity, whether in leading, following suit, discarding or trumping. If a defender has two or more penalty cards that can legally be played, declarer designates which is to be played.

#19 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 19:46

View Postaxman, on 2012-September-01, 19:23, said:

You.

LAW 49 - ... when a defender names a card as being in his hand, each such card becomes a penalty card (Law 50);

LAW 50D.1. (a) A major penalty card must be played at the first legal opportunity, whether in leading, following suit, discarding or trumping. If a defender has two or more penalty cards that can legally be played, declarer designates which is to be played.

68A Claim Defined
Any statement to the effect that a contestant will win a specific number of tricks is a claim of those tricks. A contestant also claims when he suggests that play be curtailed, or when he shows his cards (unless he demonstrably did not intend to claim — for example, if declarer faces his cards after an opening lead out of turn, Law 54, not this law will apply).

68D Play Ceases
After any claim or concession, play ceases (but see Law 70D3). If the claim or concession is agreed, Law 69 applies; if it is doubted by any player (dummy included), the Director must be summoned immediately and Law 70 applies. No action may be taken pending the Director’s arrival.

"I have the AQ" when you are thinking which of a K or J to play in front of him is a statement to the effect that he will win those two tricks, so it is a claim.

And I reiterate that repaying your opponent doing you this favor by trying to get an extra trick out of him is dispicible, and you shouldn't need a law to figure that out.
- billw55

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-02, 03:13

View Postgordontd, on 2012-September-01, 18:38, said:

View Postaxman, on 2012-September-01, 19:23, said:

You.

Nope. He's made a claim and I'll treat it as such.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users