• You cannot reply to this topic

Chicago teachers' strike

#161 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-19, 12:22

View Postmycroft, on 2012-September-19, 11:38, said:

Of course the Democratic backers are backers because it will help them. But some, I mean some, of them might just be there because they realize that helping Buffett's maid or UAW builders actually *buy* the stuff they make will help them, even if it costs them some profits *now*.

Sure, some are. Some republican backers are also motivated by principle. Particularly the religious wing of the party. While I mostly don't agree with them, at least they are intellectually honest. Well, some of them.

Anyway, if you are unsatisfied with either party, then we are in the same boat to some extent ;)
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#162 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 17:01

Ah, but that's not what I said. Many, many, backers for either party are like that, yes - but I'm not looking at them. The "screw you, Jack, I got mine" money (or, in the case of Norquist, power) folks - especially the heavies in these last couple of elections - are not spread equally.

There are some people who are actively trying to rewind the last hundred years, because it's in their interest, and Nobody Else Matters. And the United States doesn't matter either, because if it all goes Bravo Uniform, *they'll* still be fine. Somehow, I'm betting that they are quite convinced it won't be an "if", and are making sure that they're protected "when".

Please don't get me started on the religious wing of the Republican party. Please. After all, I am a Christian, and therefore, in their eyes at least, somewhere between apostate and heretic.

Do look up the NDP (New Democratic Party), though. "If I am unsatisfied..." don't even start to cover it. Fortunately, my sympathies with either U.S. party don't matter, because I can't vote for either of them. Unfortunately, the decisions they make affect me rather strongly (and the bleeperied Rovian political tactics certainly affect me, as a certain Mr. Harper has been checking them off, by the numbers).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#163 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:26

View Postmycroft, on 2012-September-19, 17:01, said:

Fortunately, my sympathies with either U.S. party don't matter, because I can't vote for either of them.

I live in a landslide state, so my vote for president matters about as much as yours. Yet another problem with the US system.
-gwnn

#164 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:30

View Postbillw55, on 2012-September-20, 06:26, said:

I live in a landslide state, so my vote for president matters about as much as yours. Yet another problem with the US system.

I live in a red state, which is pretty cool as it matches my ass every time election time rolls around.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#165 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-September-24, 08:51

With the strike over, we can see the results: What the Chicago teachers won, in one post

The end result is that the Chicago public schools will base more of evaluations on tests, base more of their layoffs and recalls on evaluations rather than seniority, and have longer school days than before Emanuel took office.

And Rahm can focus on Obama's superPac...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#166 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-September-24, 09:49

The schools in the city have a deficit of 3 billion over the next 3 years, I wonder where the money is coming from.

It appears that the state is basically bankrupt and will not fund its statewide pension obligations. At this point the state government wants the Federal govt. to bail it out.

#167 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-24, 10:06

View Postmike777, on 2012-September-24, 09:49, said:

The schools in the city have a deficit of 3 billion over the next 3 years, I wonder where the money is coming from.

It appears that the state is basically bankrupt and will not fund its statewide pension obligations. At this point the state government wants the Federal govt. to bail it out.

... which would only encourage the state, and perhaps other states as well, to continue with its unsustainable practices.

What I want to know is, where the heck did that big tax increase go? Not even a year went by and they were already in big trouble again.
-gwnn

#168 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-September-24, 14:01

All of the tax increase goes towards pensions and it still is not enough.

The state faces a deficit of as much as $15 billion going into fiscal 2012 which begins July 1, $62.4 billion of unfunded pension liabilities, and a backlog of $8 billion in bills. The state has an all-funds budget of about $52 billion, including a $25 billion general fund

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users