BBO Discussion Forums: Second Bite at the Cherry (Linguistics) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Second Bite at the Cherry (Linguistics) Off topic for Laws and Rulings, but okay :-)

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-02, 08:09

Pretty soon now I'm gonna take all these extraneous posts and move them… somewhere.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 08:27

View Postgordontd, on 2012-October-02, 02:48, said:

I want to know where these people are getting their cherries. I tried to buy some yesterday and they seem to have suddenly gone out of season.

The problem is that some people are only taking two bites out of them and moving on to the next cherry, discarding the rest of the first cherry. Not enough people are taking third and fourth bites from the same cherry, hence the increased consumption and resultant shortage.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-02, 08:29

View Postlamford, on 2012-October-02, 08:27, said:

The problem is that some people are only taking two bites out of them and moving on to the next cherry, discarding the rest of the first cherry. Not enough people are taking third and fourth bites from the same cherry, hence the increased consumption and resultant shortage.

As mentioned above, these people are probably concerned about their dental health: after two bites of a normal cherry there is scarcely more left than the stone.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-October-02, 09:06

In the South-West there is a saying - don't take three bites a cherry once september is out - but I can't do the accent <_<

I think the answer to the original questions is "bites at the cherry subsequent to the first"

If there was bridge question somewhere - sorry - no idea
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#25 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 12:55

View Postgwnn, on 2012-October-02, 08:29, said:

As mentioned above, these people are probably concerned about their dental health: after two bites of a normal cherry there is scarcely more left than the stone.

If you first take one bite at the cherry, just avoiding the stone (that would be the obvious reason to bite a cherry) and then bite the other side -again just avoiding the stone- there is still quite a bit of cherry left "in the shadow of the stone".

When I eat cherries there won't be a second bite. But when someone does take bites at a cherry, then it follows from the geometry of the cherry as well as the circular bite movement that after the first bite there will be a second one as well as a third.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#26 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 12:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-October-02, 08:09, said:

Pretty soon now I'm gonna take all these extraneous posts and move them… somewhere.

I agree. All these posts about bridge laws are disturbing the fascinating discussion about the linguistics and mathematics of eating cherries.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#27 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-02, 15:30

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-October-02, 12:55, said:

If you first take one bite at the cherry, just avoiding the stone (that would be the obvious reason to bite a cherry) and then bite the other side -again just avoiding the stone- there is still quite a bit of cherry left "in the shadow of the stone".

When I eat cherries there won't be a second bite. But when someone does take bites at a cherry, then it follows from the geometry of the cherry as well as the circular bite movement that after the first bite there will be a second one as well as a third.

Rik

I think if you consider geometric bites (for example, a bite takes off only a section that is above a certain plane, tangent to the stone; or worse yet, a bite is modelled by a tangent sphere, probably with a much larger radius than the cherry), in most models it would follow that you need an infinite number of bites to actually eat the cherry. In fact, this is quite close to truth, I've never seen clean cherry stones obtained purely by biting (I will not go into other techniques out of fear of unwanted double entendres).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#28 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-03, 08:47

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-October-02, 08:09, said:

I tried to split them - and the software would not let me!
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-03, 09:02

View Postbluejak, on 2012-October-03, 08:47, said:

I tried to split them - and the software would not let me!

I guess you can't take two bites of the cherry discussion.

#30 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-October-03, 09:12

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-October-01, 03:01, said:

"second, third and fourth bite of the cherry" ;)

Rik

"multiple bites of the cherry"
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#31 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 09:16

I split off the rulings oriented posts into a second topic (UI ruling - is pass an LA?) leaving the "cherry" posts - and a couple of posts pertinent to both topics - here. I think this worked because there were fewer posts to split off this way than trying to split off the "cherry" posts. If David wants to move the "cherry" topic to the Water Cooler, that's fine with me, although perhaps the topic title should be edited (again) first to remove the comment about pertinence to "Laws and Rulings".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#32 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:13

No, I was going to leave it here. I just thought it an uneasy mix. I worried about the posts [3 altogether] which were mixed. I also worry, considerably, as to why I could not split. But since today I have had other funny effects in this forum I shall not worry too much.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#33 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:14

Two points:

1) The phrase is more commonly second bite at the apple

2) I prefer "second bites at the apple" if it's the same (metaphorical or not) apple. I can have my second bite and you can have your second bite at the same (metaphorical or not) apple.

#34 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:36

View Postsemeai, on 2012-October-03, 10:14, said:

1) The phrase is more commonly second bite at the apple

I have never heard this phrase with apple substituted for cherry.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#35 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:43

View PostVampyr, on 2012-October-03, 10:36, said:

There are quite a few on the net. One from the New York Times, from a supreme court ruling:

"Mr. Blueford’s lawyers also argued that the trial judge should not have declared a mistrial without first asking the jury whether, in the end, the defendant had been found not guilty of some charges. Chief Justice Roberts said the judge had acted appropriately, as “the jury’s options in this case were limited to two: either convict on one of the offenses, or acquit on all.”

In dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote that the majority had improperly given prosecutors “the proverbial second bite at the apple.”
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#36 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:19

View PostVampyr, on 2012-October-03, 10:36, said:

Here's a dictionary suggesting "second bite at the cherry" is British, so perhaps that's the distinction.

#37 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:40

View Postsemeai, on 2012-October-03, 14:19, said:

Here's a dictionary suggesting "second bite at the cherry" is British, so perhaps that's the distinction.

In my "V.H.Collins: A Book of English Idioms" (1956) I find:

two bites of or (at a) cherry, two attempts to do something that ought to be done in one. In French a figurative use of the phrase 'three bites of a cherry' that goes as far back as Rabelais (1548) appeared in an English translation by P.A.-Motteux, completing Sir Thomas Urquhart's, in 1693-1694. The earliest record of two bites at a cherry is its use in a forgotten novel of 1850.

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-03, 15:42

This thread is making me hungry for some pie.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#39 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-October-03, 18:50

View PostVampyr, on 2012-October-03, 15:42, said:

This thread is making me hungry for some pie.

Apple or cherry
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-04, 12:16

It may be that all of this discussion about how many bites comprise the typical cherry is off the mark. I think that you didn't succeed at actually biting the cherry the first time; that is why you need a second bite at it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users