Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cavendish

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-08, 17:19

As many would know, the Cavendish Invitational will take place in Monaco from 15-19 October 2012 but it doesn't seem to have made the BBO vugraph schedule as yet and nor can I find details of the field anywhere. The official website seems to be http://cavendish.bri...dish-in-monaco-.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2012-October-08, 21:20

View Postmrdct, on 2012-October-08, 17:19, said:

As many would know, the Cavendish Invitational will take place in Monaco from 15-19 October 2012 but it doesn't seem to have made the BBO vugraph schedule as yet and nor can I find details of the field anywhere. The official website seems to be http://cavendish.bri...dish-in-monaco-.

I received details (five attachments) from the organisers on October 4th and forwarded, as instructed, the email to vugraph@ 45 minutes later. As for listing the event on the vugraph schedule web page is now out of my hands. However, I saved the email, so those who are interested in getting a copy can email me at roland_wald (at) hotmail.com
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#3 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 23:10

A much more uptodate website which includes the player roster for the pairs is at: http://www.cavendish...dex.php?lang=en
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#4 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-10, 01:25

View PostWalddk, on 2012-October-08, 21:20, said:

I received details (five attachments) from the organisers on October 4th and forwarded, as instructed, the email to vugraph@ 45 minutes later. As for listing the event on the vugraph schedule web page is now out of my hands. However, I saved the email, so those who are interested in getting a copy can email me at roland_wald (at) hotmail.com

It's up there now. However, it seems that either the organisers did not want voice commentary or the mystery individual dealing with support@ e-mails could not cope with the vugraph automated sign-up procedure.

Now that the Cavendish has moved to Europe, will the Multi 2 opening be allowed?

#5 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-10, 10:40

Ridiculously strong tournament.
No Lall - Hamman though :(

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 09:30

View Postjallerton, on 2012-October-10, 01:25, said:

Now that the Cavendish has moved to Europe, will the Multi 2 opening be allowed?

Yes. The Conditions of Contest say that it is being run as an EBL (or WBF) Category 3 event, namely no HUMs, nor BSCs. This should mean that Multi 2 is permitted but a written defence may be used.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 09:31

I am glad to see a lot of new players and also a lot of new partnerships.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 09:36

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-October-10, 10:40, said:

Ridiculously strong tournament.
No Lall - Hamman though :(

No Levin-Weinstein or Woolsey-Stewart either. On the other hand, a lot of very good European partnerships and some sponsors who are not seen in Vegas. I have the impression that there are more regular world-class partnerships than previously.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 13:47

View Postpaulg, on 2012-October-11, 09:36, said:

No Levin-Weinstein or Woolsey-Stewart either. On the other hand, a lot of very good European partnerships and some sponsors who are not seen in Vegas. I have the impression that there are more regular world-class partnerships than previously.

It depends on what does "previously" mean". Compared to the Cavendishs that took place 5,6,7 years ago there will be not a half of them imo. The new venue in MC may be a good idea to reanimate the prestigous character of this tournament , but with so many playing sponsors, one-event-partnerships and pairs which would be for sure "not expected" in older Cavendishs?...
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#10 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2012-October-11, 14:07

View Postjallerton, on 2012-October-10, 01:25, said:

It's up there now. However, it seems that either the organisers did not want voice commentary or the mystery individual dealing with support@ e-mails could not cope with the vugraph automated sign-up procedure.

It is not so easy to figure out what the organisers want. They used our now redundant guidelines (9 questions), and when asked whether they would like us to provide commentary, the answer was:

"yes we would like to have commentary but not imperative.
If so we have in open room French and closed room english."

When I logged in to BBO about 15 minutes ago, there was a mail message from aramesh. I forgot the exact wording, but the bottom line was that BBO wants high quality commentary and that I was encouraged to sign up on the schedule web page, preferably for voice. I don't know yet if I am available for some of it, but even if I am, I can't register for voice, simply because there is no speaker icon. One can click on "I'll commentate", but there is no button with "I'll voice commentate."
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-11, 18:25

View PostWalddk, on 2012-October-11, 14:07, said:

It is not so easy to figure out what the organisers want. They used our now redundant guidelines (9 questions), and when asked whether they would like us to provide commentary, the answer was:

They didn't say anything about voice, so it's understandable that there might be confusion over this detail.

When I logged in to BBO about 15 minutes ago, there was a mail message from aramesh. I forgot the exact wording, but the bottom line was that BBO wants high quality commentary and that I was encouraged to sign up on the schedule web page, preferably for voice. I don't know yet if I am available for some of it, but even if I am, I can't register for voice, simply because there is no speaker icon. One can click on "I'll commentate", but there is no button with "I'll voice commentate."

Did you reply to Aramesh to let him know about the problem? I just sent him email asking him to check on this.

#12 User is offline   madongjun 

• China
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics、sports

Posted 2012-October-11, 18:39

"As many would know, the Cavendish Invitational will take place in Monaco from 15-19 October 2012" --not in USA?
"http://cavendish.bri...dish-in-monaco-."--Which language,English?where is chinese?

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-11, 22:03

View PostWalddk, on 2012-October-11, 14:07, said:

Yup so as you see it was rather unclear what they wanted. Fixed now.

We'll try to have voice commentary (English) for the Teams finals on Tuesday, and for the two sessions of Pairs on Friday. Open room, but if something more exciting happens in the closed room it's possible for commentators to switch to the other table.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-12, 10:37

DO you know if there will be live VuGraph at the venue?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-13, 08:40

Hm #4 in the world is playing with #934 in the world... guess one of them must be a sponsor... :D
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users