• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU Autumn Congress Soliciting opinions

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-03, 05:57

Has anyone been to the EBU Autumn Congress in Stratford-upon-Avon and would be willing to offer an opinion? I realise it is not exactly the top event on the EBU calendar but it happens it would fit into my schedule, so I was wondering whether it had decent bridge on offer. Is it necessary to be an EBU member to play in these events? Also, would it be at all realistic to be there for the 2PM start landing at Gatwick at 10:20AM or would I have to plan on flying the evening before?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 06:14

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-03, 05:57, said:

Has anyone been to the EBU Autumn Congress in Stratford-upon-Avon and would be willing to offer an opinion? I realise it is not exactly the top event on the EBU calendar but it happens it would fit into my schedule, so I was wondering whether it had decent bridge on offer. Is it necessary to be an EBU member to play in these events? Also, would it be at all realistic to be there for the 2PM start landing at Gatwick at 10:20AM or would I have to plan on flying the evening before?

I dont think I have ever played that one.

I don't think that is a realistic travel time. Its about 3 hours or so on the train I think, and there may not be a train at a great time etc. I think its longer if you drive, but I might be wrong. I don't drive so am normally poor at car travel times.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:17

It's a serious event and it attracts some good players. Here are last year's finalists:
http://www.ebu.co.uk...2StarsFinal.htm
http://www.ebu.co.uk...tbourneBowl.htm
You'll probably recognise a few of the names.

It's not a great rail journey, because you have to go either through or around London, and the trains to Stratford are rather slow. There's a rail planner here:
http://ojp.nationalr...njourney/search

If you're driving it's 130 miles (210km), all by motorway, so you'd be cutting it fine, but probably OK if you didn't have any major delays.

Now for an unhelpful suggestion: can't you fly to Birmingham instead?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:35

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-03, 05:57, said:

The Two-Stars Pairs was indeed in the past one of the top pairs events in the EBU calendar, but the Autumn Congress declined a bit over the years and was then moved to an unfortunate venue in Birmingham for a couple of years and it declined further.

However, last year it was moved to Stratford-upon-Avon, a very popular venue familiar with those who have played in the Spring Fours, and it was generally well received, with numbers recovering to some extent. I'd expect this year to be even better as word-of-mouth gets around, and the format of the Two-Stars Pairs is enjoyable to play in (as long as you qualify for one of the two main finals!)

As regards getting there, I don't think you could do it by public transport in the time you give, and although you could probably manage it driving I don't think you would be allowing enough time for contingencies.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:42

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-April-03, 06:14, said:

I dont think I have ever played that one.

Well, it has taken place, according to the full description given, only once.

Getting there a day early would allow you to get some sightseeing in. If this will be your first time in Stratford, surely you have to visit Shakespeare's house, if only because when you get back home everyone will be asking you if you went there.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:58

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-03, 07:17, said:

Now for an unhelpful suggestion: can't you fly to Birmingham instead?

It doesn't sound that unhelpful, but apparently I could arrive at Birmingham at 7:45, which would leave me completely dazed and incoherent by the time of day when I would have to play bridge, or at 10:35 by tripling my flight budget (currently at 60 Quid for CGN-LGW-CGN), so a Thursday evening flight to London sounds more likely.

Anyhow thanks all for the advice, I shall be looking into it further. Would still appreciate it if someone could tell me whether I need to be an EBU member.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 08:07

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-03, 07:58, said:

Would still appreciate it if someone could tell me whether I need to be an EBU member.

No, you don't need to be a member of the EBU as long as you are a member of your national federation.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-28, 12:02

Well, I've booked my flights, even though they haven't put up a webpage for this year's event yet (fingers crossed). Any BBFers who will be there and would like to say hello, drop me a line.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-28, 13:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-May-28, 12:02, said:

Well, I've booked my flights, even though they haven't put up a webpage for this year's event yet (fingers crossed). Any BBFers who will be there and would like to say hello, drop me a line.

It'll be happening - it's listed in the calendar, and I'm directing it!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-29, 05:10

:rolleyes:

Yup I'm there Directing as well

:D

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-29, 08:33

View Postshintaro, on 2012-May-29, 05:10, said:

Yup I'm there Directing as well

Let's hope noone refuses to provide their carding agreements then.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-29, 13:14

Hmm, decisions decisions, do I play this or head to pretty close to where MGoetze has come from to go to the boardgames fair in Essen.

#13 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 02:29

[

#14 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 02:31

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-29, 08:33, said:

Let's hope noone refuses to provide their carding agreements then.

:D :P

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 15:47

So I'll be playing a rather complicated system and would like to read up on the alerting regulations. What am I supposed to look at, the "Tangerine Book"? Am I correct in assuming all the events are "Level 4"?

Also, what's the unofficial rule on convention cards? How many people would you expect to have a convention card and would it be a real problem if I used, say, a WBF convention card rather than an EBU one?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-02, 17:40

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-October-02, 15:47, said:

So I'll be playing a rather complicated system and would like to read up on the alerting regulations. What am I supposed to look at, the "Tangerine Book"? Am I correct in assuming all the events are "Level 4"?

Also, what's the unofficial rule on convention cards? How many people would you expect to have a convention card and would it be a real problem if I used, say, a WBF convention card rather than an EBU one?

The alerting regulations are in the Orange Book. The Tangerine Book contains only a simplified summary.

All the events will be Level 4.

The unofficial rule on convention cards is the same as the official rule. Almost every pair you meet will have two EBU convention cards, and I think you should do the same. Some of the players will rarely or never have encountered an WBF card, so if that's all you offer you will inconvenience some people, probably disadvantage someone, and possibly annoy someone enough for them to call the director.

People are likely to be forgiving of an accidental failure to alert, but not of a wilful failure to fill in a convention card.

Beware that "2nd and 4th" doesn't mean the same as it does in some other countries.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 01:27

The EBU has an announcing and alert table (PDF). Once you've got the hang of what to announce, the alert policy is not complicated except when it comes to alerting doubles; even here I think you'll be better placed than EBU members since you have no history and the rule is simple - alert penalty doubles of natural bids and non-penalty doubles of artificial bids. As gnasher says, people are very tolerant with alerts when you are foreign, even when you have a Scottish accent.

On convention cards I'll be less subtle than gnasher and just say, "do NOT bring your WBF card" - complete an EBU 20B card. If you need any help then just send a draft to me and I'll look it over.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-03, 04:11

View Postpaulg, on 2012-October-03, 01:27, said:

alert penalty doubles of natural bids and non-penalty doubles of artificial bids.

This isn't it, but it is still simple, despite the large number of words used in the OB:

5 E 2 DoublesThe rules for alerting doubles are:
(a) Suit bids that show the suit bid.
Double of these bids is not alertable if for take-out; alertable otherwise.
(b) Short, Nebulous, Prepared and Phoney minor openings.
Double of these bids is not alertable if for take-out; alertable otherwise.
© No trump bids.
Double of these bids is not alertable if for penalties; alertable otherwise.
(d) Suit bids that do not show the suit bid.
Double of these bids is not alertable if showing the suit doubled; alertable
otherwise.
Doubles are also alertable if they convey a potentially unexpected meaning in addition
to take-out or penalties as defined above.
In 5E2(a) and 5E2(d) the word ‘show’ is defined as follows:
‘it is natural, or shows willingness, in the context of the auction, to play in the suit, or it
is followed by two passes’.
5 E 3 RedoublesThe rules for alerting redoubles are:
(a) Redoubles which are for business or show general strength, which partner is
normally expected to pass if the next hand passes – not alertable.
(b) Other redoubles (notably those partner is expected to take out) – alertable.
5 E 4 Calls above 3NTOnce the auction is above the level of 3NT, no calls are to be alerted except for:
(a) Artificial opening bids
(b) Lead-directing passes
© Doubles or redoubles that are lead-directing but ask for the lead of a suit other
than the suit doubled (or redoubled)

Sometimes a director will go round the room doing a CC check, so do not think that "required" means "optional" as it does in some places.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:28

Many of the EBU Green-pointed events have a discounted rate for juniors. From what I can see this one does not, which I find quite surprising.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#20 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-October-03, 11:49

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-October-02, 15:47, said:

Do you mean 'alerting' regulations or system regulations.
For alerting, you won't go far wrong if you alert anything that isn't natural, and don't alert things that are natural; the only things to be aware of are
(i) you announce opening 1NT range and natural 2-level openings
(ii) you alert penalty doubles of natural suit bids

[some other things get announced as well, but it doesn't really matter if you forget and alert instead]

For system regulations, the tangerine book is almost certainly all you need unless you want to play some very odd two-level openings. Also it will speed up checking if what you want to play is legal if you notice that the only things that are regulated are
(i) opening bids (at every level) and
(ii) second seat actions after a natural 1-level opening suit bid
[some 4th seat actions are as well but that is really obscure]

i.e. you don't need to worry about your response structure or about your evil defence to 1NT or 2-level openings.

If you want to know if your system is legal, send me your WBF convention card and I'll tell you very quickly. [I'm an EBU official so you can take it as an official answer]

On convention cards, DO NOT use your WBF one; it's not logical (or particularly rational) but in general you will irritate most people far less with a badly-filled out English one than a well-filled out WBF one. The EBU one doesn't take long to fill out the most important bits of (opening bids, leads, signals, discards, 2nd seat defences).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users