BBO Discussion Forums: enabling the back button for the forums - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

enabling the back button for the forums

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-10, 11:17

It would be so nice if clicking on the back button in the forums didn't kick you out to a "page has expired" notice. It's a minor thing for sure, but a niggling annoyance esp if you are at the bottom of a long page and want to get back to the forum title or go to another thread. Am I missing something or is it really necessary to scroll back up the page to the title of the thread and then move out? Maybe there's a trick I haven't yet found, or everyone else pays more attention and never forgets not to use the back button, but this is my whine for today.:)

#2 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-10, 15:09

It is not clear to me what you consider the "back button" in the forum.

Perhaps you want to just click on the "Backspace" key on your keyboard, which in most modern browsers will take you to the previous page that you viewed?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-10, 17:18

View Postonoway, on 2012-December-10, 11:17, said:

It would be so nice if clicking on the back button in the forums didn't kick you out to a "page has expired" notice. It's a minor thing for sure, but a niggling annoyance esp if you are at the bottom of a long page and want to get back to the forum title or go to another thread. Am I missing something or is it really necessary to scroll back up the page to the title of the thread and then move out? Maybe there's a trick I haven't yet found, or everyone else pays more attention and never forgets not to use the back button, but this is my whine for today.:)

Using IE8, I use the "back" button all the time when viewing and responding to forums, and I don't think I've ever gotten a "page has expired" notice; it always goes back to where I'm expecting it to go back to.

#4 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-10, 19:12

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-December-10, 17:18, said:

Using IE8, I use the "back" button all the time when viewing and responding to forums, and I don't think I've ever gotten a "page has expired" notice; it always goes back to where I'm expecting it to go back to.

I'm talking about the arrow at the top left of the screen. If I forget and use it it almost always kicks me out of the Forums.
~~~~~ later udate post~~~~
Well, now it isn't doing it.. it kicked me out twice this morning as usual but now it's working fine

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-11, 09:05

It depends what the previous page was. Searches tend to be temporary and will cause this message to appear. It should work fine when simply browsing the forums normally though.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-11, 15:40

You don't need to scroll back to the top of the page to get out of a thread. At the bottom right of the thread there are links:

<-- Previous Topic | Forum Name | Next Topic -->

There's also a menu right above that, which you can use to jump directly to some other forum.

And I've never gotten an error with the back button, either, although I don't use it very often in the forum. The main problem with using the back button is that you get a cached copy of the previous page. E.g. if it's the thread list, when you go back to it the icon that shows whether a thread has new messages will still be in the old state.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-14, 05:03

View Postbarmar, on 2012-December-11, 15:40, said:

The main problem with using the back button is that you get a cached copy of the previous page. E.g. if it's the thread list, when you go back to it the icon that shows whether a thread has new messages will still be in the old state.

I sometimes use the "Find My Content" button of the profile to see quickly only the threads with new content that I have participated in. Using the Back button for that works very well and always shows an up-to-date list. When viewing normally I usually do as you suggest and simply click on the forum name.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users