BBO Discussion Forums: BBF religious matrix - BBO Discussion Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBF religious matrix

Poll: BBF religious matrix (79 member(s) have cast votes)

I believe there is a God / Higher Being

1. Strongly believe (13 votes [16.46%])

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

2. Somewhat believe (7 votes [8.86%])

Percentage of vote: 8.86%

3. Ambivalent (8 votes [10.13%])

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

4. Somewhat disbelieve (11 votes [13.92%])

Percentage of vote: 13.92%

5. Strongly disbelieve (40 votes [50.63%])

Percentage of vote: 50.63%

My attitude toward those that do not share my views is

1. Supportive - I want there to be diversity on such matters (9 votes [9.28%])

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

2. Tolerant - I don't agree with them but they have the right to their own view (57 votes [58.76%])

Percentage of vote: 58.76%

3. No strong feeling either way (17 votes [17.53%])

Percentage of vote: 17.53%

4. Annoyed / Turned off - I tend to avoid being friends with people that do not share my views, and I avoid them in social settings (7 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. Infuriated - Not only do I not agree with them, but I feel that their POV is a source of some/many of the world's problems (7 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

Vote

#481 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-17, 14:07

View Postwyman, on 2013-January-17, 13:52, said:

As I recall, their conclusion was: yes, but then you have to buy gas for the trip home.

Well....that just makes sense.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#482 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-January-17, 15:31

Posted Image
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#483 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 15:37

View Postdwar0123, on 2013-January-17, 13:26, said:

That's an odd thing to refuse to do, the rapist must have been of the clergy. Seriously though, why?

They refused to test for rape and rape drugs, since if the test would be positive, the victim might decide to take a morning after pill. So, they don't want to tell the victim, but if they do test they will have to tell, so they "simply" refuse to test.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#484 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-17, 16:04

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-January-17, 15:37, said:

They refused to test for rape and rape drugs, since if the test would be positive, the victim might decide to take a morning after pill. So, they don't want to tell the victim, but if they do test they will have to tell, so they "simply" refuse to test.

Rik

So they are withholding a vital test to help catch a rapist, which is probably a direct sin under their religion. Based on the possibility that someone else MIGHT commit a sin(in their eye) by getting an abortion?

That is like seeing 100 dollars left on the floor of a poor house and then killing everyone in the building so they won't be tempted to commit the sin of stealing it.

#485 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 16:59

View Postwyman, on 2013-January-17, 15:31, said:

Posted Image

I supose this is nothing new, but when I asked a friend from morocco about having multiple wives he said that its unthinkable, normal people don't have enouh money for that.

#486 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 17:05

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-January-17, 14:05, said:

They refused to test if date rape drugs had been used against the victim

If this statement holds up they should lose their license to practice medicine. It's insane, stupid and indefensible.
Ken

#487 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-January-17, 23:38

View Postmikeh, on 2013-January-14, 01:40, said:

I can assert with absolute confidence that the anthropomorphic nightmare that 32 worships is the product of some seriously disturbed minds.

The word “worship” does not occur in the Greek in the New Testament. The Greek word is “proskuneo” (NT:4352) and means “homage.” Look up the difference in a dictionary.

#488 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-January-18, 00:22

How would one know what words are or are not in the "new testament" when it is well-known that the new testament is a compilation of books of which nothing but copies of copies of copies of copies remain, not an original text anywhere to be seen, and those copies have thousands of variances among them. That almost all scholars agree that the native tongue of Jesus would have been Aramaic, that the most powerful of the early churches was the one in Rome where Latin presided as the language of choice, makes any argument for the absence or inclusion of a Greek word problematic as a point of contention, does it not?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#489 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-18, 06:45

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-17, 12:52, said:

Catholic hospitals refuse treatment for rape victim (German news article from today.)

Do you know why this is in the news? Because it happened once, it is not common practice.
And do you know how the church and the managers of the hopsital react? They had been shocked too, apologized and claimed that something went wrong.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#490 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:07

View PostCodo, on 2013-January-18, 06:45, said:

And do you know how the church and the managers of the hopsital react? They had been shocked too, apologized and claimed that something went wrong.

I guess you read some different news articles than I did.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#491 User is offline   jkljkl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:09

Do you know why this is in the news? Because it happened once, it is not common practice.

Did you expect that cardinal Meisner would step up and say that this is in perfect line to his mindset? Coincidence that it happened under this ultraconservative?

ciao
stefan

#492 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:19

I am very glad to hear this but I have to ask: Did someone get fired? "Something went wrong"? "Mistakes were made" is the usual way of ducking responsibility. Usually the mistake, or the thing that went wrong, is that they got found out.
Ken

#493 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:27

Germany is not Spain, but here politicians get caught stealing millions and don't even lose their job, they even get reelected, a kamikaze killed someone for driving his car on the wrong side of a highway, he has been exonerated by the government (links to the government are suspected), however a mother's been sent to prison for buying food&diapers with a credit card she found on the street.

#494 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:44

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-18, 08:27, said:

Germany is not Spain, but here politicians get caught stealing millions and don't even lose their job, they even get reelected, a kamikaze killed someone for driving his car on the wrong side of a highway, he has been exonerated by the government (links to the government are suspected), however a mother's been sent to prison for buying food&diapers with a credit card she found on the street.

You and I might well agree that things are a bit screwed up. Here, there, everywhere.
Ken

#495 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:49

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-15, 13:22, said:

Err no, not at all.

Most Jews as I understand it simply don't believe the New testament is much to do with the old testament.

Something that was written the best part of 4000 years later, and 100 or so years later than the events described in most cases, by the followers of the central character is just not viewed as a reliable historical record let alone anything with any divine significance. Sourcing your "truth" from there is like saying "wolves will dress up as your granny to attack you" by reference to a book of fairy tales to many jews.

There’s a major flaw in your reasoning here. The writings of Flavius Josephus confirm the accuracy of Acts in more ways than you can imagine. The flaw? Acts was written some time during AD 60 – AD 62 as Paul’s affidavit before Emperor Nero during his first Roman imprisonment. Josephus became a Roman defector during the Roman-Jewish war of AD 66 – AD 70. He documented the history of the Jews during/after this war.

You can read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus

#496 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-18, 08:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2013-January-18, 00:22, said:

How would one know what words are or are not in the "new testament" when it is well-known that the new testament is a compilation of books of which nothing but copies of copies of copies of copies remain, not an original text anywhere to be seen, and those copies have thousands of variances among them. That almost all scholars agree that the native tongue of Jesus would have been Aramaic, that the most powerful of the early churches was the one in Rome where Latin presided as the language of choice, makes any argument for the absence or inclusion of a Greek word problematic as a point of contention, does it not?

A large amount of copies of all the letters written which make up the New Testament have been recovered, sometimes 300 or more. The oldest manuscripts are regarded as the most accurate. But there is also a process of comparing them with each other to determine consistency in the copy process, the majority containing the same text are considered more reliable.

The language of the first century was predominantly Greek.

#497 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-January-18, 09:23

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-18, 08:19, said:

I am very glad to hear this but I have to ask: Did someone get fired? "Something went wrong"? "Mistakes were made" is the usual way of ducking responsibility. Usually the mistake, or the thing that went wrong, is that they got found out.

The incident had been in december the press release yesterday. SO I hope something will happen.
Kind Regards

Roland

#498 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-January-18, 09:28

View Postjkljkl, on 2013-January-18, 08:09, said:

Did you expect that cardinal Meisner would step up and say that this is in perfect line to his mindset? Coincidence that it happened under this ultraconservative?

ciao
stefan

I would not claim knowledge of his mindset. I am evangelic ltherian from Hamburg, I do not care about your regional cardinals or your regional politicians, sorry.

But I would belive that you will find fundamentalists everywhere and that some of them will support how the doctors reacted.

But up to now, nobody claimed that this behaviour was right or according to catholic believes. Or do you know/hear someone?
Kind Regards

Roland

#499 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-January-18, 09:33

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-18, 08:07, said:

I guess you read some different news articles than I did.

You may google it and find something in the WDR, Münchner Abendzeitung, Fokus, Gerealanzeiger- just to name the first hits I found on facebook...

But maybe in your dayly "Bash the christs" journal they had another view....
Kind Regards

Roland

#500 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-January-18, 09:53

View PostCodo, on 2013-January-18, 09:28, said:

But I would belive that you will find fundamentalists everywhere and that some of them will support how the doctors reacted.

I have no idea what they did or failed to, but I am no fundamentalist but accept that they can follow their beliefs in their own hospital as long as it is according to the law (maybe it wasn't according to law, then I am just saying nonsense and they should be pursued by law, not by ethics). But then, I am more tolerant that others.

I had surgery on 17th december, but before I was taken to the operation room I had to take way my wedding ring, this shocked me because I had planned to stay with it for my whole life, even managed to board 4 planes with it. But it is their hospital and their rules. I just accepted it. I supose this is much less important for you than whatever rape thing (I did't fully understand sorry), but the concept its the same.

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users