• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oh the Irony gun show injuries

#181 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-04, 08:58

Not a new article (2004) but it looks like a decent study: Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#182 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-05, 10:34

I started a robot and tech thread so we can give this one back to the guns.

http://www.bridgebas...ology-and-such/
Ken

#183 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-05, 10:45

View Postkenberg, on 2013-February-05, 10:34, said:

I started a robot and tech thread so we can give this one back to the guns.

Sigh, one of the few times I was in favor of thread drift. :)

I've moved all the robot posts into the new thread.

#184 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-February-07, 03:16

So many of you seem to live in a world whn you or your loved ones have not been raped or shot.

I repeat Europe has seen this more than USA yet many there seem to forgot or not care.

I grew up in a city where 100,000 gang members......12,ooo cops and many more are crooks.

See:
http://www.spotcrime...hicago/roseland

this is where i grew up.

We did not own a car so I walked...biked alot...lol

I know all of these streets

scroll down to see recent crimes....just recent.

--------------------

so many posters seem to live in fantasy land where you have not been raped or mugged.

My school is in the middle of all this crap.

edit

guys I know all of these streets listed as crimes I lived there I walked there.

#185 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-07, 04:55

So, you live in an area with a lot of crime. What does that have to do with the discussion whether gun ownership needs to be limited? Exactly nothing.

You live under the notion that the best way to reduce crime is to own a gun. I don't know who gave you that idea (well, actually I sort of do), but if there is any correlation between the amount of guns owned and violent crime it is positive, not negative. (This means: more guns -> more crime and less guns -> less crime.)

Of course, the NRA wants you to believe that guns reduce crime. But it is a believe... it is not based on facts.

If the NRA wants to, they could convince the nation that hamburgers and pulled pork sandwiches taste better if you own a gun... or that your wife looks prettier if you own a gun or that the weather will be nicer if you own a gun. People would believe that, no matter what the facts say.

But the gun discussion isn't based on facts and reason. It is based on whipped up emotions:
- My personal freedom is at risk if I can't walk around with a gun. (In SF they are no longer allowed to walk around naked. How about that for personal freedom?)
- I have a God given right to bear fire arms. (Of course, God created the Fire Arm and he saw that it was good. Firearmism is a religion and we have freedom of religion.)
- The only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. (Wouldn't it be much better if the bad guy wouldn't have a gun to begin with? And given the fact that many bad guys got their guns from good guys and many bad guys used to be good guys before, it would be a better idea if there were less of these "good guys with guns".)

If the gun discussion would be based on facts and reason, there wouldn't be a gun discussion at all anymore: No individual would be allowed to own a gun, except for a few who have a very good reason to own one and have proven to be reliable. But the gun discussion is not based on facts and reason.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#186 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-February-07, 05:02

I make no claim and your logic is well stupid.....I make no claim or logic. I repeat i MAKE no claim or logic.....you live in fantasy land.

In any event do you live in a high crime area..if so what is your logic?

If you dont then stop/

If you grew up in Roseland/Pullman ok ....I did.

#187 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-07, 10:31

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-February-07, 04:55, said:

You live under the notion that the best way to reduce crime is to own a gun. I don't know who gave you that idea (well, actually I sort of do), but if there is any correlation between the amount of guns owned and violent crime it is positive, not negative. (This means: more guns -> more crime and less guns -> less crime.)

Of course, the NRA wants you to believe that guns reduce crime. But it is a believe... it is not based on facts.

Sure. That explains the title of John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime.

I should point out that Lott originally set out to prove your premise (more guns = more crime), but much to his surprise found the evidence says otherwise.

I don't know how Lott feels about the NRA now, but his original research had nothing to do with that organization.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#188 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-07, 10:34

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-February-07, 04:55, said:

If the NRA wants to, they could convince the nation that hamburgers and pulled pork sandwiches taste better if you own a gun... or that your wife looks prettier if you own a gun or that the weather will be nicer if you own a gun. People would believe that, no matter what the facts say.

I missed this at first. Sorry Rik, but this puts you squarely in the "nutcase" camp.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#189 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-February-07, 19:43

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-07, 10:31, said:

Sure. That explains the title of John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime. I should point out that Lott originally set out to prove your premise (more guns = more crime), but much to his surprise found the evidence says otherwise. I don't know how Lott feels about the NRA now, but his original research had nothing to do with that organization.
What does Helene_t make of this book?

View Postmike777, on 2013-February-07, 03:16, said:

I grew up in a city where 100,000 gang members......12,ooo cops and many more are crooks. See: http://www.spotcrime...hicago/roseland
this is where i grew up. We did not own a car so I walked...biked alot...lol I know all of these streets scroll down to see recent crimes....just recent. My school is in the middle of all this crap.
Why don't the Chicago authorities flood the city with guns so that concerned citizens can restore law and order? Simples!

#190 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-07, 22:24

What makes you think the authorities want the citizens to restore law and order? :ph34r:
--------------------

#191 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 08:13

View Postmike777, on 2013-February-07, 05:02, said:

I make no claim and your logic is well stupid.....I make no claim or logic. I repeat i MAKE no claim or logic.....you live in fantasy land.

In any event do you live in a high crime area..if so what is your logic?

If you dont then stop/

If you grew up in Roseland/Pullman ok ....I did.

And did you carry a gun as a teenager? I didn't, nor did anyone else at my school. I am guessing, sure it's a guess but it's a strong guess, that you now live in a safer neighborhood. Dangerous neighborhoods are a fact of life. Maybe these neighborhoods will become safer if all the eighteen year olds buy guns, but I am (very) skeptical. And of course they can then provide them to their younger brothers as needed.

The Post today has a story about aremed officers in school (perhaps more suitable for the Newtown thread but appropriate enough here I think)
http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z2

The following statistic from http://www.washingto...2a_graphic.html caught my eye:

In D.C. there is an enrollment of 80,230 and they have 95 armed officers. In Montgomery County Maryland (adjacent to D.C.), they have an enrollment of 144,727 and 6 armed officers. I can't say for sure, but as far as I know the number of armed officers for the St. Paul system when I was in high school (1952-1956) was 0. Which would be the same as the number of students who were shot in school.

Kids have to be protected, sure. But how has it come to this? More importantly, what should we do? I have to be plainspoken here. I see guns as the simple-minded solution. I suppose that if everyone is armed to the teeth then everyone (well, not quite everyone) will be careful about stepping on someone's toes but I think we need to do better. Like most any kid, I had my troubles from time to time in high school. I was and am really grateful that guns were not in any way part of the equation. The earlier article about the sharp reduction of crime in New York City seems to give hope that there are more creative solutions than massive gun sales. Once we focus on such approaches, we can be successful.
Ken

#192 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 09:11

To paraphrase a president who experienced an attack with a fire arm: "Guns are not the solution to our problems. Guns are the problem."

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#193 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-February-08, 09:25

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-February-08, 09:11, said:

To paraphrase a president who experienced an attack with a fire arm: "Guns are not the solution to our problems. Guns are the problem."

Rik

There will come a time when people finally realize that this is true.

#194 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:09

Pro gun argument: if we ban these guns, criminals will still have them, because they are criminals. They don't obey laws, so why would this law affect them?

Counter point: when these mass shootings happen, it is often the case that the shooter wants to kill as many people as possible. Sometimes they explicitly state this in their writings/recordings. So it occurs to me to wonder, why aren't they using fully automatic weapons? Surely they could kill many more that way. The obvious answer is that those weapons are not available, because they are illegal. So, gun bans evidently do work to keep the banned weapons out of criminal hands, despite what gun advocates say.

Is there something wrong with this logic?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#195 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:19

View Postbillw55, on 2013-February-08, 10:09, said:

Pro gun argument: if we ban these guns, criminals will still have them, because they are criminals. They don't obey laws, so why would this law affect them?

Counter point: when these mass shootings happen, it is often the case that the shooter wants to kill as many people as possible. Sometimes they explicitly state this in their writings/recordings. So it occurs to me to wonder, why aren't they using fully automatic weapons? Surely they could kill many more that way. The obvious answer is that those weapons are not available, because they are illegal. So, gun bans evidently do work to keep the banned weapons out of criminal hands, despite what gun advocates say.

Is there something wrong with this logic?

That you are trying to make sense in an entirely emotional argument?

#196 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 12:32

I won't offer an opinion on gun laws, but the Christopher Dorner situation is amazing to me.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. Cops on the lookout for 270 lb. bald black male in a dark pickup truck somehow identify and open fire on two white little old ladies delivering newspapers in a light blue pickup truck. Somehow this revelation is not accompanied by "obviously the cops have been fired from the police force, arrested on the spot, and held for psychiatric evaluation while every officer either of these two had ever worked with or for is questioned as to how they failed to notice their obvious Mr. Magoo observational abilities and trigger-happy demeanor."
OK
bed

#197 User is offline   VMars 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-08, 23:09

View Postjjbrr, on 2013-February-08, 12:32, said:

I won't offer an opinion on gun laws, but the Christopher Dorner situation is amazing to me.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. Cops on the lookout for 270 lb. bald black male in a dark pickup truck somehow identify and open fire on two white little old ladies delivering newspapers in a light blue pickup truck. Somehow this revelation is not accompanied by "obviously the cops have been fired from the police force, arrested on the spot, and held for psychiatric evaluation while every officer either of these two had ever worked with or for is questioned as to how they failed to notice their obvious Mr. Magoo observational abilities and trigger-happy demeanor."

They should extend this investigation to the people that supervised Dorner (a former cop/navy reservist).

#198 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-08, 23:58

The report that I saw about firing on pickup trucks said there were two incidents, one the one described upthread. In both, police detailed to guard people who might be Dorner's targets fired on a pickup truck they thought was his. In one incident two people were wounded, in the other no one was hurt. Both incidents took place about five in the morning. The two incidents, afaik, involved different cops and different, widely separated, people being guarded. I certainly hope there will be a thorough and objective investigation into both shootings, but I doubt that much will come of either.
--------------------

#199 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-February-09, 00:27

I certainly hope there will be a thorough and objective investigation into both shootings, but I doubt that much will come of either.

you start something but you should follow through with your point and logic.

You basically start out saying something is rotten in Denmark but dont really say what......

#200 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-09, 10:35

View PostVMars, on 2013-February-08, 23:09, said:

They should extend this investigation to the people that supervised Dorner (a former cop/navy reservist).

And, therefore, another example of a "bad guy with a gun" who used to be a "good guy with a gun".

Rik

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users