J104
A3

Bidding: 1-2-Pass-?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-29, 06:02

You can't show your spades but you can chose to give partner room to show his spades (if he has them) by bidding 2. Such a bid in the opponents' suit (cuebid) may show support for partner's suit (clubs) or it may just show some good hand, depending on agreement.

The alternative is to bid 2NT. Or even pass, if partner has an aggressive overcall style. I think I would bit 2NT, unless I have specifically agreed that 2 doesn't promise club support.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-29, 08:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-January-29, 06:02, said:

You can't show your spades but you can chose to give partner room to show his spades (if he has them) by bidding 2. Such a bid in the opponents' suit (cuebid) may show support for partner's suit (clubs) or it may just show some good hand, depending on agreement.

The alternative is to bid 2NT. Or even pass, if partner has an aggressive overcall style. I think I would bit 2NT, unless I have specifically agreed that 2 doesn't promise club support.

Thank you, "helene_t"

I understand about 2NT
Wouldn't cuebid be confusing here?

If my partner doesn't have spades, doesn't have heart stopper what are his options after 2H cue?

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-29, 08:24

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-January-29, 08:18, said:

If my partner doesn't have spades, doesn't have heart stopper what are his options after 2H cue?

In this case he should just rebid 3, which would not show extra club length but just that he has nothing new to say.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-29, 08:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-29, 08:24, said:

In this case he should just rebid 3, which would not show extra club length but just that he has nothing new to say.

Thank you. Actually partner did have four spades. So after 2H he'd comfortably bid 2S. What's next from the cuebidder? Pass?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users