BBO Discussion Forums: Cuebid after oponent overcalls - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Cuebid after oponent overcalls

#1 User is offline   mitsguy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-02, 14:33

If your partner opens and your RHO overcalls, I read conflicting information as to what a cuebid of oponent's suit by responder means. I have read (including in the SAYC document) that it is forcing to game, and usually shows strong support for operner's suit. But most other sources I read say that it shows a limit raise or better, and that a 3 level raise (normally a limit raise) would be pre-emptive. Which is correct? Or is it just a matter of preference? It seems to me that it would make more sense for it to show a limit raise or better, and free up a 3 level raise for a pre-emptive raise. It seems to me that if your parter was able to open and your oponent was able to overcall, it would be fairly unlikely that you would have enough points to force to game, and that a pre-emptive raise would be more useful. Or am I wrong? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-03, 00:00

As with many conventions and treatments, what the bid means is whatever your partnership agrees it should mean. That said, I would say two other things: SAYC would not be my first (or second, or third) choice for a system definition, and many people (most, where I am in upstate New York, USA) play the cue bid as a limit raise or better, forcing one round, and yes, the immediate jump to 3 of partner's suit would be preemptive.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-February-03, 05:58

View Postmitsguy, on 2013-February-02, 14:33, said:

Or am I wrong?

Not really, the only thing I would add is that nowadays people overcall with some pretty low-HCP hands so it is not all that rare that you can go to game just based on points. Nevertheless, your conclusion that the cuebid as a limit raise or better is superior to the cuebid as a random game-force is correct. As for "standard", well, sometimes there is no universal standard and it just depends on the bridge background of your partner what you should expect if you have not agreed anything explicitly. Most regular partnerships will have discussed this early on.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 04:10

Both are correct. In SAYC, it is game forcing; in most other systems it is not. When not playing SAYC, there are 2 reasonable ways to play the cue bid for N/B players. One is as a general force, with values and no other bid. The other way, which is the one I would personally recommend, is that it shows a limit raise or better. As with any conventional bid, this is something to discuss with your regular partner. Many N/B players prefer the direct raise to 3 to show a limit raise. Playing it as weak may be better but it is far more important that you and your partner agree than to play the optimal system.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-07, 06:29

I don't know sayc, I am surprised that it doesn't follow everyone else's stream.

Cuebid shows limit OR MORE values and support for partner's opening suit. Since majors over minors rule is normally in place, this means that 1-(1)-2 also denies 4 (otherwise double)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users