BBO Discussion Forums: A tale of four 3[clubs] preemepts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

A tale of four 3[clubs] preemepts What does the forum think of their quality?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-February-15, 10:30

I tend to be conservative when it comes to preempts, unlike my partner who I believe is too quick on the draw. Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot to be said for preempt but they do require a lot of discipline.

Anyway, last night he had 4 x 3 preempts out of 24 MP boards and I thought it might be quite instructive to get the opinion of more advanced players to find out whether or not I am too harsh on partner and to help beginners get a better understanding of the art of preempting:

1. W v R, partner deals:

874 J2 Q KT96543

I really didn't like this one because the suit has too many holes, the queens is wasted and the J isn't much use, although the vulnerability is good. . Expecting a better suit and with A2 I went one down in for 16/18 MPs so I suppose job done. Ops best score was 4 making.

I might have preempted this board for the same reason I went to 3NT, because we had very weak ops, however I know partner never considers that when pushing the bidding.

2. R v W

J9743 A6 void KT9653

P (P) 3C (3NT)

I thought this was barmy at these colours with that hand and we were lucky to get away with 4/18 when LHO went only -1 in 3NT instead of doubling us. Six other tables were -2, presumably because they weren't tipped off where the club king was weren't playing against one of the strongest declarers in the club.

Needless to say I wouldn't have bid it.

3. W v R

T3 KQT T KQJT653

P (1H) 3C (3D)

Although not strictly a preempt and I suppose opposite a passed hand its not an unreasonable bid. However he then committed the cardinal sin as the bidding went

P (4d) 5C (5D)

All pass for 1/18 MPs as they were one of only four pairs to find the game and it was against the same declarer so 12 tricks were made.

(I would have probably opened with 4C on that hand then shut up)

4. W v W

T985 void A96 JT8532

3C (3D) 3H (4D)
P (P) 4H AP

I was quite annoyed at this one and getting 14/18 didn't make it any better as I thought it was a terrible bid in first chair and all it did was put me under pressure (as did the first example).

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Simon

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-15, 14:20

1 is fine. you're at green.

3 is conservative - with a passed partner and this many tricks i'd be happy to bid 4.

2 and 4 are mad. far farfar too playable in the other suit. you could go down in partscore with slam gin.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users