#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-February-23, 06:11

Teams, R v W

A Q53 K542 AQ843

(P) 1NT (2S) ?

Sadly we missed slam when I forgot we play that the dbl is stolen bid and asking me to bid 3C for partner to pass or correct and I took at as T/O. I converted to penalty double as I reckoned we must have the balance of points for +500 and -5IMPS as the other side made 3NT+3. Partner reckons he would have then made a 4NT RKCB bid looking for 6C or 6NT.

In hindsight I think my pass was dreadful as I could easily have given them a game bonus if partner had a weak hand.

KQ42 A6 A97 K752

We play quant although not practiced and as I had 16HCP I would probably have bid 6NT so instead of -5IMPS we would have been +6IMPS by my reckoning.

How do other's see this unfolding.

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-23, 11:50

Whenever you forget the system agreements you are liable to get a disaster, and you were let off lightly. It could have easily been a negative score and huge swing. I don't think it matters so much what the agreements are, as much as you both remember them, and mistakes like this aid the memory.

If you play quantitative 4NT, I suggest it should not apply when partner has shown a suit. Treat it as ace asking in that suit, so over 4NT show 3 aces. 6 is then a reasonable "punt" from partner.

There are other methods with partner's hand, but I would not suggest anything else for a beginner. You have slam values if there is a club fit. Transfers over NT interference (not just the stolen X, but all higher calls, too) is a good start, if you normally play transfers over 1NT.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 12:07

Of course, there is not much point in 4NT RKCB when looking for a small slam in clubs, as the wrong response will commit you to 6 anyway. Unfortunately, beginners don't have enough tools available. The methods taught are not sufficient.

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 12:07

I think that your pass of 2SX is very good. In fact, I'd say that doing anything else is very bad.

Did anybody tell you recently that you should stop being afraid?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-February-23, 13:25

View Posthan, on 2013-February-23, 12:07, said:

Did anybody tell you recently that you should stop being afraid?

:lol:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users