• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2013 Vanderbilt

#41 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-26, 11:01

View PostArtK78, on 2013-March-26, 10:34, said:

Wow. There are a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands.

The NYT article is an interesting piece, but no one is suggesting that the idea should be taken seriously. Richard made a very interesting extension of the idea to professionalism in bridge. I don't think that he was suggesting that the idea be adopted.

Having said that, I am sure that we can require all of the paperwork (player contracts, travel vouchers, hotel vouchers, etc.) submitted to the ACBL Committee on Seeding and Professional Oversight prior to the commencement of the event. The committee can take it from there.

As for non-monetary compensation, that brings to mind a story from Jerry Machlin's book on his life as a tournament director. One time (many years ago) he and another director seeded the field in a pair event based on, for lack of a better term, the hotness of the female players. After it became apparent how the seeding was done, some of the women thanked him for their seed. Others complained that they should have been seeded higher or that another woman should have been seeded lower.

I see that you, too, have the time on your hands to have fun with this also.

Now consider that the hotel benefits only start when the event starts, and/or the pro gets to more liberally apply extra charges of all types to the room at that point.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#42 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-26, 11:03

I posted the concept more out of amusement value than any expectation that this would be of practical use.

With this said and done, I wonder what would happen if we simply auctioned off seeds.
(Leads to some interesting issues since a #64 seed is almost as valuable as a number 1)
Alderaan delenda est

#43 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 11:25

ACBL needs more fund raising ideas. The contestants could even jockey for different brackets along the way, bidding a little less/more to stay away from certain teams until the final four.

I am sure, however, that a certain team is content with its #20.

Wait, how about two auctions? The first to select the seeding committee; then, the committee holds its own auction.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2013-March-26, 11:30

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#44 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 11:26

Out of curiosity, how many times has a woman won the Vanderbilt (or Spingold)?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#45 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 15:04

This is the 2nd one I can remember (other one being Christal Henner Welland). I think it happened in like the 40s-60s a few times though.

#46 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-26, 15:17

Helen Sobel won each one at some point. A few others did in earlier days, as Justin said. Most recent in the Spingold was Rose Meltzer in 2000.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#47 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 21:04

As for non-monetary compensation, that brings to mind a story from Jerry Machlin's book on his life as a tournament director. One time (many years ago) he and another director seeded the field in a pair event based on, for lack of a better term, the hotness of the female players. After it became apparent how the seeding was done, some of the women thanked him for their seed. Others complained that they should have been seeded higher or that another woman should have been seeded lower.

Sabine may be seeded number one over the years on the basis of hotness.

Now all of us will overcall 1d with 2c :)

The few times I talked with her she was always very polite and willing to talk bridge.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users