• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Muiderberg Hoax

#41 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-11, 02:52

You seem to have missed the point. What you need to discover is the % of time when we open a Muiderberg 2M that we play in a 7 card fit at the 3 level, which was the scenario you were lecturing us about. Not only does your last post answer a completely different question, it also gives contradictory numbers (combined 3.28% when the post before gives % of Muiderberg hands as 2.80%). Now I am sure the numbers are all correct and everything but unless you can explain them clearly they are meaningless. This is why I suggest you switch to conditional probabilities for Muiderberg openings. Because I have no idea how often you think we are playing 2M and how often 3m based on your statistics. Nor the percentages for 7, 8 and 9+ card fits. Nor the expected number of tricks. In fact, I cannot find any meaningful information anywhere despite the forceful conclusions you are deriving from the numbers.
(-: Zel :-)

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 04:41

View Post32519, on 2013-July-09, 07:37, said:

.................no one has yet convinced me that I'm wrong!

I thought...

In order to try to convince you that you are wrong, one has to convince himself that you are convincable....Na.. i don't think anyone who has seen your ignorance and who has seen that you are wrong in so many things, in this topic as well as in the past, will ever gonna waste his/her time for this.

But looking at the replies, obviously i was wrong.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-11, 18:54

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-July-10, 16:46, said:

The fact that the WBF allows an abbreviation for Stayman as an explanation on its CCs indicates that they consider 'Stayman' to be an appropriate description (at least for CC purposes). Seen in that light it isn't that strange that an NBO allows players to explain some of the most popular conventions by their name, even if it is a big no-no in the ACBL.

Allowing a shorthand on the CC does not necessarily mean that just naming the convention is adequate disclosure. The ACBL convention card is full of checkboxes for common conventions and treatments, but ACBL Alert Procedures says that when someone asks for an explanation you must describe the meaning, NOT just name a convention. The point is that a CC and an explanation are different -- there isn't room on a piece of paper for detailed explanations, the CC is just a summary.

#44 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-July-12, 05:52

Since I play Muiderberg with 1 regular partner, I thought I would do a quick and admittedly rough check on the perils of finding that you have to play in a 4-3 minor fit at the 3 level. In Playbridge I specified 1 hand to be A10965; 8; J86; Q1098. This was meant to show a typical absolute weakest hand that he might open 2 vulnerable. This (just) breaks the criteria (7 points in the long suits vul)that we agreed but I know what my partner is like. The opposite hand I gave 6-11 points any distribution. 32 deals.
When this hand is dealt a singleton spade, I judged that you would respond 3 pass or correct.

Results:
4-4 came up twice and 4-3 twice.
Of the 4-3's
1. Opps had 3NT game on and unlikely to go for a penalty even at green.
2. Opps had part score and 4-3 fit goes 2 off.

Otherwise I dont see any obvious (possible) bad results. I don't have time to analyse the possible good results.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#45 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-13, 03:37

View Post32519, on 2013-July-10, 22:56, said:

4. Exactly 5M7m 5-10 HCP = ?
5. Exactly 5M8m 5-10 HCP = ?

The last two are so remote that BBOs deal generator fails to spit out a probability percentage.

This is another reason not to use simulations when you don't have to. The probability of a random hand having exactly 5 spades and 7 clubs and 5-10 HCP is 1 in 22340. For 8 clubs it is 1 in 757204.

#46 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-July-13, 05:48

View Postcampboy, on 2013-July-13, 03:37, said:

This is another reason not to use simulations when you don't have to. The probability of a random hand having exactly 5 spades and 7 clubs and 5-10 HCP is 1 in 22340. For 8 clubs it is 1 in 757204.

When brute force doesn't work, this is usually a sign that you need to apply more brute force...
Alderaan delenda est

#47 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-July-24, 10:36

Now here's a thought.
The trend is towards a Weak Only Multi, 5-9 HCP. The 2 and 2 bids being used for a sound weak 2 in the suit, 10-13 HCP. Stated differently, the trend is away from Muiderberg.

#48 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-July-24, 11:03

View Post32519, on 2013-July-24, 10:36, said:

Now here's a thought.
The trend is towards a Weak Only Multi, 5-9 HCP. The 2 and 2 bids being used for a sound weak 2 in the suit, 10-13 HCP. Stated differently, the trend is away from Muiderberg.

The expression "thought" suggests that "thinking" took place, so this hardly seems like an appropriate description...
Rather, this is an example of an anecdote from another thread being confounded with the posters own biases and used to claim a trend.

If you want to contribute something of actual value, why not go to ECATs and record the what the 2D and 2M opening bids showed over time.
(I collated this information for a few years, you can probably find this information)

Once you've collected an adequate time series - and compensated for geographic effects - you might be able to make a few founded claim that there is/ is not a "trend"
Alderaan delenda est

#49 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-24, 11:22

thought.

The "trend" is purely a function of how many English posters who happen to use constructive weak twos post on BBO.

Visit a Dutch bridge club and you would doubtless draw an entirely different false conclusion.

#50 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-24, 12:41

The trend is towards a Weak Only Multi, 5-9 HCP.

LOL
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#51 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:28

Exactly how many wannabees do you think copy whatever Fantoni/Nunes do? Here is a link to their Convention Card. Amuse yourself and have a look at how they describe their 2 and 2 bids. Sure it's not Muiderberg, but it does say 10-13 HCP unbalanced, 5+ in the suit. So if it's exactly 5 and unbalanced, presumeably there are 4 cards in a minor suit.

#52 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:47

View Post32519, on 2013-July-25, 02:28, said:

Exactly how many wannabees do you think copy whatever Fantoni/Nunes do? Here is a link to their Convention Card. Amuse yourself and have a look at how they describe their 2 and 2 bids. Sure it's not Muiderberg, but it does say 10-13 HCP unbalanced, 5+ in the suit. So if it's exactly 5 and unbalanced, presumeably there are 4 cards in a minor suit.

I doubt they dare do it without 5-5. ;)

#53 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:48

[...] Fantoni/Nunes do [...] So if it's exactly 5 [....]

yes, and if pigs could fly ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#54 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-25, 03:50

Pigs fly in the same way everyone else does - on an airplane. I know this is true, I saw it in a TV ad. :lol: :lol: ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#55 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 04:12

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-July-25, 02:47, said:

I doubt they dare do it without 5-5. ;)

Hmmm, some more wisdom from the forum. We are talking here about the players ranked number 1 and 2 in the world. These guys have upped the HCP value to 10-13 versus the wisdom of the forum who still insists on 5-10 HCP with a hand which could be 5M4m. I rest my case. :rolleyes:

When it's a 6-card card major, it's still 10-13 HCP. These guys don't waste time with stuff like Garbage Multi.

#56 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-July-25, 04:26

View Post32519, on 2013-July-25, 04:12, said:

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#57 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2013-July-25, 05:25

I don't see the relevance of Fantunes here (it's a completely different opening) nor do I see what you're getting at. You might as well compare a Muiderberg to a Lorenzo two (0-7HCP 4+X Majors first) and say that IF you have 6-7 HCP AND a 5 card M AND a 4 card m, then ... what's your point exactly? :unsure:

Oh, and how about if they open 2 on a 5=5=2=1? Even when they add up ALL their minor suit cards they don't get to 4...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#58 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2013-July-25, 05:41

View Post32519, on 2013-July-25, 04:12, said:

Hmmm, some more wisdom from the forum. We are talking here about the players ranked number 1 and 2 in the world. These guys have upped the HCP value to 10-13 versus the wisdom of the forum who still insists on 5-10 HCP with a hand which could be 5M4m. I rest my case. :rolleyes:

When it's a 6-card card major, it's still 10-13 HCP. These guys don't waste time with stuff like Garbage Multi.

This is the most stupid posts I've ever read on this forum, because it's wrong on so many levels. You only prove one thing: stupidity has no boundaries. Have you ever seen them play these 2M openings with a weaker range? Get your facts straight dude, they haven't upped anything!

The facts are that they've designed an entire system where they don't need an artificial strong opening, and instead can open any strong hand natural and at the 1-level to optimize information transfer for slam bidding. Every 1-level opening shows 14+HCP to make it playable (12+ would be too wide range), and everything else is designed to fill gaps in their system. They can't just pass with every 0-13HCP hand, so they've decided to play a weak NT and constructive 2-level openings to cover hands with around 10-13HCP and comply to system regulations (otherwise they might be playing a HUM).

#59 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-July-27, 04:45

View PostFree, on 2013-July-25, 05:41, said:

This is the most stupid posts I've ever read on this forum, because it's wrong on so many levels. You only prove one thing: stupidity has no boundaries. Have you ever seen them play these 2M openings with a weaker range? Get your facts straight dude, they haven't upped anything!

The facts are that they've designed an entire system where they don't need an artificial strong opening, and instead can open any strong hand natural and at the 1-level to optimize information transfer for slam bidding. Every 1-level opening shows 14+HCP to make it playable (12+ would be too wide range), and everything else is designed to fill gaps in their system. They can't just pass with every 0-13HCP hand, so they've decided to play a weak NT and constructive 2-level openings to cover hands with around 10-13HCP and comply to system regulations (otherwise they might be playing a HUM).

Clearly such logic is beyond the comprehension of the numeric one, Frederick.
If you want to argue even more, numeric one, ask yourself how many world class players play Fantunes. I know of only one other pair who have represented their country who play Looney Tunes as they call it and they are Australian. Then ask yourself "why"?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#60 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-27, 07:04

View PostFree, on 2013-July-25, 05:41, said:

Seems like you never read the CC properly. So I’ll help you with some extracts –
1C = 14+ (good 12/13)
1D = 14+ (good 12/13)
1H = 14+ (good 12/13) 5+ H OR 11-13 with 5+ H and 4S
1S = 14+ (good 12/13) 5+ S OR 11-13 with 5+ S and 4H

Exactly how many wannabees do you think copy whatever Fantoni/Nunes do? Here is a link to their Convention Card. Amuse yourself and have a look at how they describe their 2 and 2 bids. Sure it's not Muiderberg, but it does say 10-13 HCP unbalanced, 5+ in the suit. So if it's exactly 5 and unbalanced, presumably there are 4 cards in a minor suit.

View PostFree, on 2013-July-25, 05:25, said:

I don't see the relevance of Fantunes here (it's a completely different opening) nor do I see what you're getting at.

What am I getting at?
With 5+ H and 4S, 11-13 HCP, they open 1H
With 5+S and 4H, 11-13 HCP, they open 1S
With a 5-card major and a 4-card minor, 10-13 HCP, they open 2 of the major

View PostFree, on 2013-July-25, 05:25, said:

Oh, and how about if they open 2 on a 5=5=2=1? Even when they add up ALL their minor suit cards they don't get to 4...

See above. Clearly you never read the CC before posting this. It will never be 5521 as you suggested.
What am I getting at?
The number 1 and 2 ranked players in the world play sound 2H and 2S openings with unbalanced hands, whether that is a 6-card suit or 5M4m. They allow lesser mortals to make silly pre-empts (Garbage Multi/Muiderberg) and then extract favourable penalty doubles from them or make thin games because the hand layout and HCP distribution has been gifted to them.

Why all the venom that is continuously being spat out? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that an intermediate is challenging the logic behind your favourite convention(s)? There has been a lot of interest in many of these types of threads. So until I start the next one……cheers!

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users