• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play this 5H

#1 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 21:35

MatchPoints.

Q led. You pitch a , pull three trumps. RHO follows with stiff T and then discards two low . You play a low , low, low, 9. Now RHO plays back the T.

Commercial break: Still looking for LM pd. http://www.bridgebas...irs-in-atlanta/
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#2 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-26, 00:31

I ruff and play two trumps.

If he pitches two diamonds including the A, play for 1354 - a club to the ace, ruff a diamond, CJ unblocking the 8 and hope to pin Tx/9x or he stupidly splits from QT9x.

If he pitches two diamonds not including the A, do the same except pitch if RHO plays the K and claim.

If he pitches a diamond and a club, I would play for 1345 and do the same strip except play a low club out of hand.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 06:27

Roger's plan looks good, but I'd be surprised if LHO turned out to be 1354. That would give RHO something like KJ8xxxx 10 A10x xx, which doesn't look much like a second-seat 4 opening. 1345-7141 seems more likely to me.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-26, 10:08

I will pitch a low club on the diamond, which forces LHO to return a diamond, after which I will play for a show-up squeeze by running trump.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#5 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 11:48

View PostWinstonm, on 2013-July-26, 10:08, said:

I will pitch a low club on the diamond, which forces LHO to return a diamond, after which I will play for a show-up squeeze by running trump.

You've already lost one trick to the Nine. If you pitch now, LHO wins with honor and returns a for his partner to cover with the remaining honor, thus wiping out the entire suit.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 15:11

trick 1 spade A pitching a dia
trick 2 heart to A T falling from rho
trick 3 heart to dummy
trick 4 spade T perfectly safe makes sure rho started
with 7 spades (you never know) also prevents rho from
returning a top spade later in play (I wonder why they didn't
on this hand) if they win a dia. ruff high
trick 5 pull trump
trick 6 lead dia toward dummy (takes a lot of guts to duck the dia
K if you are lho not so much with ace). rho wins.
trick 7 rho returns a dia because they "know" that's the only play
that can cause you problems and they could not return a spade
(remember trick 4 :) ?). RUFF
trick 8 trump reducing everyone to 5 cards dummy has
T void Q A83 you have void 4 void KJ74
from the play we know rho started with 7s 1h 3d (could lho not
only avoid a dia lead holding AK but also duck when u led to
the Q only a mad genius would try this) so rho can have a max
of 2 clubs. This information alone gives us a huge idea on how
to play the club suit.

trick 9 play the club K and if nothing special happens
trick 10 lead the club J

This lop wins whenever rho has
Q T 9 Tx(3 cases) 9x(3 cases) and loses to Qx(3 cases) or xx(3 cases)

9 cases making 6 cases losing 60%

This is similar to rogerclee LOP but his goes down if lho reduces to 3c and 2d
(pitching the dia A) while mine does not.

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 15:32

I would basically play righty to be 7141, which in my opinion is completely marked by the bidding and play. West is basically caught in what is technically referred to in some books as a "striptease".

On the penultimate trump West is squeezed down to the necessary grid following the main Clee line, but I have a more inflexible view of the distribution. Never say never, but pretty much nothing is deflecting me from this line.

#8 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 19:31

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-July-26, 15:32, said:

I would basically play righty to be 7141, which in my opinion is completely marked by the bidding and play. West is basically caught in what is technically referred to in some books as a "striptease".

On the penultimate trump West is squeezed down to the necessary grid following the main Clee line, but I have a more inflexible view of the distribution. Never say never, but pretty much nothing is deflecting me from this line.

It's free anyway, if you ruff a diamond and are wrong about his shape you still make.

#9 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 20:08

This was in a Robot tournament. At the table, I played it slightly differently. Pitched a on A, pulled two rounds of trumps ending in dummy (LHO echoing in trumps to show three) and played a low toward my hand to see if RHO would fly with the Ace for some reason. It didn't, but after winning the Nine it tried to cash the Ace. Now I simply ran trumps reducing LHO in the four-card ending to K and three . to Ace, Q and claim. I never had to worry about the position at all.

But afterward it occurred to me that I couldn't make the same play if RHO came back a low . And that shouldn't be hard, because if declarer is void now, better for you to guard and let partner take care of . When I re-played the hand, GIB told me that the hand was still makeable, which is when I started digging more.

Here's the full hand:

I thought there were a couple points of interest. In the five-card ending if you suspect LHO has come down to a TH (Top Honor) and four , and you ruff out his , you have ambiguity about whether he has QT9x or Q{T/9}xx. I think a strong RHO would return a if he had xx, as that's what's needed to break up any end-play against partner. The play can wait as after all if he does have a loser it's not going anywhere. Likewise if you suspect LHO had 1-3-4-5, the reason why RHO he didn't return his stiff was because it was the 9 or T.

The other point is that trying to pin a 9 or T will lose to Qx on-side ! Don't think there's any way to combine any of the other chances to cater for that possibility.

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-27, 03:45

Knowing it is a robot tournament is necessary information. For instance, nobody opens 4 with that, and the carding inferences are entirely different.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-27, 18:38

sathyab writes "MatchPoints. Q led. You pitch a , pull three trumps. RHO follows with stiff T and then discards two low . You play a low , low, low, 9. Now RHO plays back the T."

IMO you shouldn't start from there. Instead, you could try a line like gszes':
A, A, 8, ruff a , s, and lead a in the seven card ending on the left.
RHO would probably win cheaply and exit unhelpfully in , leaving you in the dark about the minors.
Luckily, if you are RogerCLee, you can still correctly guess the end-position :)

#12 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-28, 00:40

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-July-27, 03:45, said:

Knowing it is a robot tournament is necessary information. For instance, nobody opens 4 with that, and the carding inferences are entirely different.

Fair enough, that 4 is somewhat unusual. But the truth of the matter is that most people would open it 3 regardless of whether they had 3-2 in the minors or 4-1. It being MP. you're still under the gun to make 11 tricks when you can. So all the deliberations about RHO's fragment distribution is still valid. Apart from the excessive pre-empting, I don't think the opponents' carding is all that different from what you'd find in a mixed field.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users