#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-02, 08:50

2014 Fall Nationals are being help in Provincetown RI and one of my old partner's and I are thinking about dusting off our boots and re-entering the fray.
I am tinkering with a system that I am terming "GNAT"

(GNAT = GCC? Not Any Trouble...)

3D = Disciplined preempt
3C = Disciplined preempt
2N = Weak with both minors
2S = Constructive weak 2 (6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1S opening)
2H = Constructive weak 2 ((6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1H opening)
2D = Constructive weak 2 ((6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1D opening)
2C = 6+ clubs (might have an unbiddable 4 card major)
1N = 11+ - 14 HCP (could be 5332 with a 5 card major)
1S = 4+ Spades, unbalanced could have a longer minor
1H = 4+ Hearts, unbalanced, could have a longer minor
1D = 4+ Diamonds, unbalanced, could have longer clubs (Might have an unbiddable 4 card major)
1C = Strongish

1M openings are unbalanced, so the 1N response is forcing
The 1D opening is also unbalanced, so the 1N response will also be forcing

Following a 1S opening

1N is forcing
2C is natural, forcing to 2N
2D is natural, forcing to 2N
2H is natural, constructive and non foricng

Responder can relay after some of opener's rebids

Following a 1D opening

3D = value raise
3C = pass or correct
2N is a limit raise+ in support of diamonds
2S = weak jump shift
2H = anti flannery (5 Spades, 4 Hearts, non forcing)
2D = value raise
2C = forcing to 2NT
1N = forcing
1S = natural and forcing
1H = natural and foricng

I think that it should be fun and playable. Not as good as MOSCITO, but whatcha gonna do...

I'm concerned about the low frequency of the 1D opening (and toyed with using this to show 13-15 balanced and spreading the unbalanced Diamond hands across 2C, 2D, and 3D). Ultimately, I think I prefer being able to have a real diamond opening.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-02, 09:32

Looks kind of similar to a Schenken Light system I played over the weekend that a friend back home has been refining, only we used 1 3+ and 14-16 NT. It was reasonably effective and a lot of fun.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 09:50

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-October-02, 08:50, said:

I'm concerned about the low frequency of the 1D opening

You could extend the upper range and use the change to improve some of the 1 sequences. You lose little within an unbalanced diamond set-up by extending to 17 and it may be worth taking it all the way to just below a GF if you get something good out of 1 for it. Probably the simplest answer is to open hands with a 4 card major and 4+ diamonds with 1 though. That means the canape on the 1M openings does not need to include diamonds and you can certainly use this space profitably. If you want to keep the canape then allow major suit canape in the 1 opening too, so you open a weak 45M hand 1. That again would give you more space to play with after a 1M opening.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-02, 10:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-October-02, 09:50, said:

Probably the simplest answer is to open hands with a 4 card major and 4+ diamonds with 1 though. That means the canape on the 1M openings does not need to include diamonds and you can certainly use this space profitably. If you want to keep the canape then allow major suit canape in the 1 opening too, so you open a weak 45M hand 1. That again would give you more space to play with after a 1M opening.

I consider opening 4 card majors as a plus...
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2013-October-02, 10:39

Interested in how will you show 5M4m hands...
Also, 1 opening seems to be too infrequent.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-02, 10:50

View Postyunling, on 2013-October-02, 10:39, said:

Interested in how will you show 5M4m hands...
Also, 1 opening seems to be too infrequent.

I agree that the 1D opening is less frequent that I would like.

Both 5M/4m and 5m/4M hands get opened 1M

Responder will raise to 2M with (almost) any hand with appropriate range and 3 card support for the major.

Therefore, and auction like

1M - 1N
2m - 2M

pretty much promises a doubleton in the major and, by inference, 3 pieces in the minor.
If opener holds a 4M/5m hand, he can correct to 3m and find an 8 card fit
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 11:08

I like the general idea of this....it fits with my personal preferences...hit me up if you want to do some practice bidding to see how it works out.

I am tempted to say go even farther with the 1 bid and have it deny a 4M 100%. Then responders 1M rebids can show 5+ cards, and you'll have a much easier time getting to responders 5-3 when weak (e.g. less than NMF values). Then change 1N to NF and you have great (for MP) non-informative 1N auctions where the opps have no idea WTF to lead.

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 11:19

What about throwing 18-19 balanced into 1? You have enough strength to survive partner's presumption that you have diamonds, you are weak enough to not be missing game if partner passes with garbage, it shouldn't be hard to untangle, and taking it out of 1 might make your sequences there easier.

#9 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 12:42

I don't see how we find our fit after say 1S-1NT-2D-2S. Say opener has 4x5x; responder could easily be 2425? Or do you pass that with below INV?

Anyway it is ACBL so clearly you should play 2D Flannery and put some diamond preempts back into 1D.

Or maybe 4D/5+S is more of an issue; would be strangely annoying to defend 2D showing that.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 12:51

When I played a Canape system we always assumed the 2nd suit was at least equal - it's not always, but that was our operating assumption, so we needed a reason to take preference back to the 1st suit. Not always right, but tended to avoid disaster - in part because you don't spend lots of bids floundering for a fit so it's a lot harder for the opponents to balance effectively.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-02, 12:51

When I played a Canape system we always assumed the 2nd suit was at least equal - it's not always, but that was our operating assumption, so we needed a reason to take preference back to the 1st suit. Not always right, but tended to avoid disaster - in part because you don't spend lots of bids floundering for a fit so it's a lot harder for the opponents to balance effectively.

#12 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 10:05

The major openings looks a lot like Magic Diamond or Moscito (but without transfers). These kind of openings work pretty well with transfer responses, but I guess that isn't legal in GCC? You could probably look at versions of Moscito where they don't use transfers for some inspiration.

Some people I know play this structure, which is similar to your major openings:

1C = 15+
1D = Any unbalanced hand without a 4 card major (so either 5-4 minors or a 6+ minor)
1M = 4+ major, unbalanced, may have longer minor
1N = 11+ - 14
2X = Preempts

They also play Magic Diamond style transfers over 1M however.

I had an idea about a canapé system, but I haven't played it. It used 2M openings to show 5(+) major and 4 clubs, which i didn't quite like, but otherwise I think the structure would be very playable:

1C = Strongish
1D = 4+ diamonds unbalanced. a) 4 diamonds and longer major b) 5 diamonds and 4+ clubs c) 6+ diamonds
1M = 4 card major and longer side suit, or 6+ major
1N = 11+ - 14
2C = 6+ clubs or 5 clubs and 4 diamonds
2D = Whatever (I would use multi, even though I'm not very fond of it, but it isn't GCC legal)
2M = 5 card major and 4+ clubs, constructive
2N = Whatever

We also have a successful pair in Sweden which play this structure (but may have updated it since this page was written): http://home.swipnet....alrotsruter.htm
They use 1D to show 5+ major. Pretty crazy :)

#13 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-03, 10:57

View Postawm, on 2013-October-02, 12:42, said:

I don't see how we find our fit after say 1S-1NT-2D-2S. Say opener has 4x5x; responder could easily be 2425? Or do you pass that with below INV?

Anyway it is ACBL so clearly you should play 2D Flannery and put some diamond preempts back into 1D.

Or maybe 4D/5+S is more of an issue; would be strangely annoying to defend 2D showing that.

Damn you Adam...

Playing MOSCITO, I was able to pigeonhole that shape into a natural non-forcing 2C response...

(On a more serious note, thanks for pointing this out)
Alderaan delenda est

#14 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 11:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-October-03, 10:57, said:

Playing MOSCITO, I was able to pigeonhole that shape into a natural non-forcing 2C response...

(On a more serious note, thanks for pointing this out)

Zelandakh's suggestion to remove the canapé hands from 1M might be useful here. Since 1M - blah - 2D sequence would show a 5+ card major, the 1 - 1 - 1N sequence can presumably handle the 4-5 hands.

The 1 - 1N - 2 sequence will still be ambiguous in terms of relative length and the 1N response might contain problematic non-invitational hands like 2(54)2.

Perhaps, you can extend Adam's suggestion and play the 2D opening as 5+ and 4 minor (assuming it's GCC legal)...
foobar on BBO

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-03, 13:07

View Postakhare, on 2013-October-03, 11:41, said:

Zelandakh's suggestion to remove the canapé hands from 1M might be useful here. Since 1M - blah - 2D sequence would show a 5+ card major, the 1 - 1 - 1N sequence can presumably handle the 4-5 hands.

The 1 - 1N - 2 sequence will still be ambiguous in terms of relative length and the 1N response might contain problematic non-invitational hands like 2(54)2.

Perhaps, you can extend Adam's suggestion and play the 2D opening as 5+ and 4 minor (assuming it's GCC legal)...

Thanks for the suggestion.
Makes sense...

Increases the frequency of the 1D opening and removes some troublesome hands from the rebid...
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-03, 13:10

Looks a lot based on MOSCITO, but without any of the plusses (transfer openings, relays, the preemptive value of 1 openings,...) and with most of the minuses (no way to distinguish between 5M-4m and 4M-5m, very light 1 opening,...).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#17 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 13:21

@Free - Keep in mind that one of the important points for this system is that it should be GCC-legal. MOSCITO most definitely is NOT GCC-legal. In particular, relay systems which begin before a game force is established are not GCC-legal (though various one round (semi)-relays, such as Lebensohl, are GCC-legal).

@Kungsgeten - Multi is not GCC-legal.

#18 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 13:42

MOSCITO isn't even Super chart legal, not that Super chart events exist anyway, and isn't close to mid-chart legal.

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-04, 12:28

I know, but it's like modifying a Ferrari down to an icecream truck and hoping that it still delivers like a Ferrari.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-October-04, 12:53

2014 Fall Nationals are being help in Provincetown RI and one of my old partner's and I are thinking about dusting off our boots and re-entering the fray. I am tinkering with a system that I am terming "GNAT" (GNAT = GCC? Not Any Trouble...)
3D = Disciplined preempt
3C = Disciplined preempt
2N = Weak with both minors
2S = Constructive weak 2 (6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1S opening)
2H = Constructive weak 2 ((6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1H opening)
2D = Constructive weak 2 ((6-10 or so, eliminating some minimal 6 card suits from the 1D opening)
2C = 6+ clubs (might have an unbiddable 4 card major)
1N = 11+ - 14 HCP (could be 5332 with a 5 card major)
1S = 4+ Spades, unbalanced could have a longer minor
1H = 4+ Hearts, unbalanced, could have a longer minor
1D = 4+ Diamonds, unbalanced, could have longer clubs (Might have an unbiddable 4 card major)
1C = Strongish
1M openings are unbalanced, so the 1N response is forcing
The 1D opening is also unbalanced, so the 1N response will also be forcing
Following a 1S opening
1N is forcing
2C is natural, forcing to 2N
2D is natural, forcing to 2N
2H is natural, constructive and non forcing
What do you reply to 1 with xxx AKJxxx Ax Qx?

Responder can relay after some of opener's rebids
Following a 1D opening

3D = value raise
3C = pass or correct
2N is a limit raise+ in support of diamonds
2S = weak jump shift
2H = anti flannery (5 Spades, 4 Hearts, non forcing)
2D = value raise
2C = forcing to 2NT
1N = forcing
1S = natural and forcing
1H = natural and forcing
I think that it should be fun and playable. Not as good as MOSCITO, but whatcha gonna do...
I'm concerned about the low frequency of the 1D opening (and toyed with using this to show 13-15 balanced and spreading the unbalanced Diamond hands across 2C, 2D, and 3D). Ultimately, I think I prefer being able to have a real diamond opening.
You can play Moscito in Scotland but I think it's illegal in England (e.g. 1 with a good balanced 15 HCP). Many local regulators have chauvinist system regulations that spoil the game for foreigners and frustrate the development of the game.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users