• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tollemache UI LAs ?

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-27, 02:42

View PostMickyB, on 2013-November-27, 01:46, said:

1-P-3 denies a four-card major but a vulnerable weak two can be 5-4 in the majors? :blink:

Strangely yes, NV a weak 2 can be a 4-4 0 count.

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 04:34

Had you alerted the 1 response as showing specifically 5 bad spades you would have been better placed ...

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-27, 05:50

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-November-27, 04:34, said:

Had you alerted the 1 response as showing specifically 5 bad spades you would have been better placed ...

Does it need alerting ? I hadn't considered that. Basically it's going to be a hand like AKJx, xxxx, xxx, xx unsuitable for our "other 2 suits" negative double or 5 non good spades (the break probably comes somewhere between AJxxx and AJ109x) all the time.

#24 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 06:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-25, 07:48, said:

The other thing you need to know is that NS play somewhat unconventional weak 2s, so S as dealer at game all would have opened any 6 card spade suit, and any good 5 card spade suit unsuitable for a rule of 19 1 opener (and not containing 2 aces).

I guess, like many others, that although I believe you may open any 6 card spade suit, that is not the same as opening every hand with a 6-card spade suit. And perhaps a hand with a couple of points and seven spades to the 10 might decide to pass when vulnerable and then bid like this.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-27, 06:54

View Postpaulg, on 2013-November-27, 06:44, said:

I guess, like many others, that although I believe you may open any 6 card spade suit, that is not the same as opening every hand with a 6-card spade suit. And perhaps a hand with a couple of points and seven spades to the 10 might decide to pass when vulnerable and then bid like this.

We have many many examples of hands like 7 spades to the 10 being opened 3 NV and 2 V, this is just routine for us, I certainly never pass them, partner has occasionally, usually for bad results when I've assumed he can't have that hand, so I think he's now over that and also opens all of them. There are hands that we might conceivably pass, 10xxxxx, x, x, AQJxx, or as quoted above Axxxxx, xx, xx, Axx, but we won't ever be pulling a natural 3N to 4 on those.

#26 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 09:48

Pass is automatic. 5 is illegal.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-November-27, 10:04

View Postpaulg, on 2013-November-27, 06:44, said:

I guess, like many others, that although I believe you may open any 6 card spade suit, that is not the same as opening every hand with a 6-card spade suit.

From the way he wrote it, it seems like 5-card suits are subject to a suit quality test, but practically all 6-card suits are opened. He said "would have", not "might have".

So his 4 bid means he either violated the agreement about opening all 6-card suits as a weak 2, or he misunderstood 3NT. The UI tells us that it's definitely the latter, so the question is whether you have enough experience with this partner to rule out the former. If so, then there's only one LA, and the UI doesn't constrain you. But if the system violation is a possibility, then pass is an LA, and the UI forces you to choose it.

#28 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-November-28, 16:57

I gave this as a bidding problem to my bridge partner last night, including all the constraints.
He said
- 4S isn't making
then he thought for a bit and said
- 5D isn't making either
I asked him what he was going to do and he said he didn't know, maybe he would bid 5D maybe he would pass

I asked him what he would do if 3NT had been explained as 4441 and he said 'pass, of course'

I'm not quite sure why it is "impossible" that partner has a natural 4S bid, given that in an adjacent thread you had a 1444 and made a bid showing 5 diamonds and no 4-card major. Sometimes partners warp the system and hope we field it.
I once passed with 8 hearts in first seat by accident, when I jumped to 4H later I got a long, long pause from partner who (with no UI) eventually shrugged and said 'she forgot to open' and passed.

#29 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-28, 17:26

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-November-28, 16:57, said:

I once passed with 8 hearts in first seat by accident, when I jumped to 4H later I got a long, long pause from partner who (with no UI) eventually shrugged and said 'she forgot to open' and passed.

I haven't done that, but have opened 1N with a 4234 only to find both black suits were clubs at the point partner transferred to spades.

#30 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-28, 18:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-28, 17:26, said:

I haven't done that, but have opened 1N with a 4234 only to find both black suits were clubs at the point partner transferred to spades.

There's a recent thread on BridgeWinners about Kit Woolsey doing this in a tournament.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-26, 18:17, said:

Both constructive but NF for us, not passed often, 9-12 ish 6 spades (or occasionally less with more spades prepared to bid 3), it's not the standard drop dead for us.

Is that standard? It seems to me that constructive is more popular.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#32 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:01

I did that, but luckily it was the other way around. Partner actually guessed right when asked what the 4M response to Stayman was.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#33 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 14:21

View Postjallerton, on 2013-November-26, 17:00, said:

You said in the opening post that the 3NT bidder believed that 3NT was natural, not that he was unsure of its meaning. Playing with screens, he would presumably still be under this impression. For most people the reaction would be "what sort of hand must partner have for this sequence", not "Oh, I must have got the sytem wrong when partner rebids his suit"!

Tell me: in your system, what do the following uncontested sequences mean:

(i) Pass-1-1-2-2
(ii) Pass-1-1-2-2?

Both constructive but NF for us, not passed often, 9-12 ish 6 spades (or occasionally less with more spades prepared to bid 3), it's not the standard drop dead for us.

View PostVampyr, on 2013-November-29, 07:40, said:

Is that standard? It seems to me that constructive is more popular.

No, that's a not a popular treatment of the sequences I asked about because most people tend to have opened most 9-12ish hands with 6 spades either 1 or 2.

#34 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-November-29, 17:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-25, 07:48, said:

The other thing you need to know is that NS play somewhat unconventional weak 2s, so S as dealer at game all would have opened any 6 card spade suit, and any good 5 card spade suit unsuitable for a rule of 19 1 opener (and not containing 2 aces).

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-27, 02:42, said:

Strangely yes, NV a weak 2 can be a 4-4 0 count.

View Postjallerton, on 2013-November-26, 17:00, said:

Tell me: in your system, what do the following uncontested sequences mean:
(i) Pass-1-1-2-2
(ii) Pass-1-1-2-2?

IMO CyberYeti has misread JAllerton's question. Under CyberYeti's agreements a passed hand has at most 5 poor , depending on vulnerability. So JAllerton may be hinting that responding 1 and then rebidding 2 shows at most 4-5 cards (if 5 then the suit is poor).

#35 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-30, 04:10

Yes, he probably did misread my question.

But I would like Cyberyeti to tell us whether or not these sequences have ever come up when he has been playing with his regular partner. If they were to have this sequence and if Cyberyeti were the opening bidder, what hand type would Cyberyeti play his partner for?

#36 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-30, 05:08

View Postjallerton, on 2013-November-30, 04:10, said:

Yes, he probably did misread my question.

But I would like Cyberyeti to tell us whether or not these sequences have ever come up when he has been playing with his regular partner. If they were to have this sequence and if Cyberyeti were the opening bidder, what hand type would Cyberyeti play his partner for?

Five weak spades and five clubs NF? :rolleyes:

#37 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-November-30, 07:15

One interpretation of 4 in the authorised auction is a choice of pointed-suit games, unsuitable for playing 3NT. Probably six spades and four diamonds. And perhaps two aces because of the absence of a weak two opener. LAs are decided using the methods of the partnership, so it is not right to shrug and pass, knowing that Four Spades is not going to make. What is suggested by the UI is only relevant after the LAs have been chosen.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#38 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-01, 13:15

View Postmycroft, on 2013-November-29, 11:01, said:

I did that, but luckily it was the other way around. Partner actually guessed right when asked what the 4M response to Stayman was.

Gotta be common, my father did that with a 7330 in a european championship, got transfered into one of the 3 card suits, and eventually partner invited to grand slam, he gladly sayd yes :)

#39 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-December-01, 15:26

View Postjallerton, on 2013-November-29, 14:21, said:

No, that's a not a popular treatment of the sequences I asked about because most people tend to have opened most 9-12ish hands with 6 spades either 1 or 2.

Sorry, missed the passes on the front.

The first will be 5/5-7 not quite enough to open 1, unsuitable for 2 so Jxxxx, xx, void, AQxxxx maybe.

The second I can't see at all, no idea.

Neither has actually come up.

#40 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-December-01, 16:38

View Postbarmar, on 2013-November-27, 10:04, said:

But if the system violation is a possibility, then pass is an LA.

But 16B1(b) defines an LA as "<snip> using the methods of the partnership", so, even if system violation is possible, LAs are decided assuming that the methods of the partnership are being used.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users