BBO Discussion Forums: Do you want to play grand if partner has queen of trump? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you want to play grand if partner has queen of trump? One day, two hands!

Poll: Do you want to play grand if partner has queen of trump? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you ask partner to bid grand with the heart queen?

1. NO on both hands (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Hand One: YES -- Hand Two: NO (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Hand One: NO -- Hand Two: YES (0 votes [0.00%])

4. YES on both hands (7 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

5. Other? (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-07, 11:28

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-07, 10:34, said:

I have seen others state that the Q ask isn't even forcing to the small slam, as they can sign off below slam opposite a negative reply. I have always thought that any ask after the initial key card ask guarantees all of the key cards. But others make an exception for the Q ask, as they are willing to bid the small off one key card if the partnership has the trump Q.

Interesting: an occasional partner, who is a multiple national champion, and I had this come up in a home game.

I held Axx AKxxxx Kxx x and he opened a 20-21 2N.

I decided to texas and keycard. To my surprise he showed only 1 keycard.

We are off an Ace and there is room to be missing the trump Q as well. So I can afford to ask for it. Note that since I used texas, he will show me the Q if he holds 4 trump, so the only time I am missing a decent slam is if he holds Jxx. If the best it can be is playing AKxxxx (no 10) opposite Jxx for no losers, then I don't mind missing it.

So I asked and he bid 5 showing the heart Q and the spade K.

What to do?

I was confident I knew exactly what to do. Given that we have 34 hcp (he can't have 19+, even tho we both like to upgrade, because we'd never upgrade a hand with only 1 Ace), we can't be off an AK.

Indeed, we might easily have 35 hcp and if his hearts are Qx (or even, on a bad day, Qxx) we could be failing in 6. There might be A and a ruff or, more likely, a bad trump split. If hearts run, then both 6N and 6 are cold, and if hearts don't run we may easily have 12 winners anyway: only needing 3 heart tricks.

I accordingly bid the obvious 6N and he started to think.

He finally bid 7 and they led the diamond Ace. He thought I had promised all the keys :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-February-07, 11:44

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-07, 10:55, said:

Art, these particular queen asks are above the level of 5 of the agreed suit so this should be a try for grand and forcing to at least a small slam should certainly be the case. If the queen ask is below 5 of the agreed suit then it is typically not forcing to a small slam.

Yes, these Q asks were certainly forcing to the small slam. But suppose the asker needs more than just the trump Q? He should be able to ask for the trump Q and get a response that says yes or no and, if yes, I also have this king (or don't). The responses should not be limited to bid the grand with the Q and the small without the Q.

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 12:06

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-07, 11:44, said:

The responses should not be limited to bid the grand with the Q and the small without the Q.

In this we agree 100%. I have also postulated the idea of using bids like this as a way of investigating 6NT versus 6 of the suit, at least at MPs. It is generally possible to construct the responses so as to make this a genuine possibility.
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 13:18

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-07, 12:06, said:

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-07, 11:44, said:

The responses should not be limited to bid the grand with the Q and the small without the Q.

In this we agree 100%. I have also postulated the idea of using bids like this as a way of investigating 6NT versus 6 of the suit, at least at MPs. It is generally possible to construct the responses so as to make this a genuine possibility.

Diferences in replies to Q-ask ( are trump ) :
A)
5S! ( ask is ABOVE 5-of-trump ) - ??
................. 5NT = Q and MAY or may not have the K ( the " asking suit " ).
................. 6H = NO Q

B)
5D! ( ask is BELOW 5-of-trump ) - ??
................. 5H = NO Q
................. 5S = Q and K
................ 5NT = Q ; NO K ; but have K ( the "asking suit " )
................. 6C = Q ; K; but NO K or K
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users