• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Successful Claim?

#1 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-05, 14:53

The contract is Hearts. North is the dealer and there are 3 cards left in all hands. North has 9xx hearts and dummy has 1 small spade and 2 small clubs. West has 8H, 1 spade and 1 club and East has nothing worth mentioning. The lead is in dummy and North claims but does not give any line of play - just shows his cards. I guess the normal line of play is for North to lead either a small spade or club from dummy and then trump it small in hand, followed by the 9H (West's 8 would drop) but should the "inferior or careless" in the Law Book allow for North to trump high when the spade/club is played from dummy - or alternatively allow for North to follow up the small trump of the club/spade with another small trump lead? The standard of players was basic.
Australia

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:11

It seems that declarer was unaware that there was a trump out. If he was not, he might realise that ruffing high was futile.

Anyway, in practice I think that he will not ruff high, and will follow with the top trump. The Law mentins "careless or inferior" but is mute on "counterintuitive", but many such rulinmgs are based on the latter.

It is a pity, because declarer should not get this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 16:19

The defense should get one trick. In my opinion, careless and inferior definitely includes leading a low trump from hand. Declarer gave no indication that he is aware of the outstanding trump, and therefore this is a doubtful point which should be resolved against him.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 16:54

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-05, 16:19, said:

The defense should get one trick. In my opinion, careless and inferior definitely includes leading a low trump from hand.

Do people really do this, though? I am not sure I have ever seen it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 16:54

Sigh...

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 18:25

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-05, 16:19, said:

The defense should get one trick. In my opinion, careless and inferior definitely includes leading a low trump from hand.

Director!!! Lead out of turn!!! B-)

Edit: Oh, I see. You're talking about the lead to trick 12. Sorry, my bad. :lol:

The question is, having led a card from dummy which West, holding the trump 8, cannot ruff, will declarer ruff low, or ruff high? If he knows West's cards, he'll ruff low. If he hasn't a clue, he might do anything. Would it be irrational to ruff high if he thinks all his trumps are equivalent? No. So it seems to me one trick should go to the defense.

It seems unlikely that a player, having trumped low on the lead from dummy, would play his low remaining trump next, but "unlikely" isn't the criterion". The same reasoning as above applies - it would be careless, but not irrational, to lead the remaining low trump, so again the defense gets one of the remaining three tricks.

I've had players argue with me that "of course I would ruff low and then lead my high trump!" Sorry, but if that's what you were going to do, you should have said so when you claimed.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-05, 19:18

IMO Blackshoe and Billw55 correctly interpret the law, as written; but I doubt that a national director would rule that way, nowadays.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-05, 22:07

Are you talking about a Scottish national director, an English national director, an Australian director, or an American director? Or all four? And why would any of them rule incorrectly?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 01:31

I think declarer gets all the tricks. It is clearer if East has already shown out of trumps because then declarer is claiming, in essence, on the marked "finesse" for the one remaining trump. Unless declarer is a super novice player (I.e., one that might well play the Q for AQ intentionally under opponents already played K, and not for any sneaky endplay or ruff sluff or entry reasons) I'd give them all the tricks anyways.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-06, 01:49

There is no evidence that declarer has any idea there's a trump out, much less where it is. Aside from that, there is the provision of Law 70A that "any doubtful point as to a claim shall be resolved against the claimer".
--------------------

#11 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 04:01

Law 70E2 said:

The Regulating Authority may specify an order (e.g. “from the top down”) in which the Director shall deem a suit played if this was not clarified in the statement of claim (but always subject to any other requirement of this Law).

Has the RA in question done so? If not I think we have to rule that declarer, believing both his trumps to be winners at trick 12, might play them in either order.

Incidentally, the correct safety play when the lead to trick 11 is in dummy and you have the only three remaining trumps in hand is to ruff with the middle one. Provided you haven't miscounted by more than one, this makes the maximum number of tricks in all cases.

#12 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 05:10

View Postcampboy, on 2014-February-06, 04:01, said:

Incidentally, the correct safety play when the lead to trick 11 is in dummy and you have the only three remaining trumps in hand is to ruff with the middle one. Provided you haven't miscounted by more than one, this makes the maximum number of tricks in all cases.

Are you sure it is reasonable to assume that someone who can't count can nevertheless get to within one of the right answer? :)

#13 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 05:38

Not sure about authorities other that the EBU, Campboy, but 'generally' the EBU has specified top down in the white book:

"8.70.5 Top down?
A declarer who states that they are cashing a suit is normally assumed to cash them from the
top, especially if there is some solidity. However, each individual case should be considered.
Example Suppose declarer claims three tricks with AK5 opposite 42, forgetting the jack has
not gone. It would be normal to give them three tricks since it might be
considered not ‘normal’ to play the 5 first. However, with 754 opposite void it
may be considered ‘careless’ to lose a trick to a singleton six.
8.70.6 Different suits
If a declarer appears unaware of an outstanding winner, and a trick could be lost by playing or
discarding one suit rather than another then the TD should award that trick to the nonclaimers.
Example Declarer has three winners in dummy and must make three discards. They appear
to have forgotten their J is not a winner. It is ‘careless’ that they should discard
some other winner to retain the J"

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 07:26

Actually declarer has two opportunities to lose a trick: ruffing high, or ruffing low then leading low. Are we going to give him a free pass of both of these, after making no claim statement?

In general I just really favor harsher laws about improper claims.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-06, 09:41

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-06, 07:26, said:

Actually declarer has two opportunities to lose a trick: ruffing high, or ruffing low then leading low. Are we going to give him a free pass of both of these, after making no claim statement?

I think that at least the rulings should be harsh, but I just don't think that, in practice, declarer will lose a trick in either of these ways -- no matter how badly I want to give a trick to the defenders!

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-06, 11:04

The only reason to ruff high is if you're worried about an overruff, which implies that you think there may be a trump outstanding. But if you know that, you also presumably know that ruffing high could promote it (unless you have two high trumps, so you can afford to ruff with one of them).

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-February-06, 11:18

I thought this frequent problem with a claim (a trump out) had been hashed over enough by now that the ruling be a given... "These are all good." means they are all good. If one of the cards in a defender's hand is higher than one of the cards which are "all good", they aren't all good. If declarer thinks they are all good, he could play any one of them at any point, so the Defenders get the outstanding trump.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 11:55

The ACBL provides quite extensive guidelines for those under its jurisdiction. After a number of examples, the directions quoted in the ACBLscore tech file conclude with this passage:

Whenever there is an attempt to establish guidelines, there is a risk that some will use them in lieu of common sense or even of law. Guidelines are not laws, but are intended to form a basis for consistency. With this in mind, the following are given as guidelines concerning claims:

A. The order of play of non-trump suits should be the worst possible
for claimer (although play within the suit is normally from the
top down).

B. Declarer may never attempt to draw any trumps of which he was
likely unaware, if doing so would be to his advantage.

C. It is considered a normal play for declarer to take a safety check
with a "high" trump.

D. Declarer should not be forced to play the remainder of his trumps
to his disadvantage if both opponents have shown out of the suit.
(Directions - July/October, 1992)

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-06, 12:03

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-06, 11:18, said:

I thought this frequent problem with a claim (a trump out) had been hashed over enough by now that the ruling be a given... "These are all good." means they are all good. If one of the cards in a defender's hand is higher than one of the cards which are "all good", they aren't all good. If declarer thinks they are all good, he could play any one of them at any point, so the Defenders get the outstanding trump.

It did not seem that declarer said "these are all good" though... apparently he said nothing at all. I think he will get three tricks in the EBU (see post #13 above). The post immediately preceding this one seems to indicate that he will be awarded all the tricks in the ACBL too, though B and C contradict each other somewhat.

#20 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 12:05

I want exactly the opposite. The game is much more pleasant when people claim when they have the rest. Taking away tricks on claims that were very unlikely to be lost makes people much less likely to claim.

The current case is a position where normal play takes all the tricks. People don't generally unnecessarily ruff high, and they don't play out their long suits from the bottom. I'd much rather have the time savings from claims in general then send another person to "I never claim"-land by taking a trick here.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users