BBO Discussion Forums: Further action over 4S? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Further action over 4S? EBU

Poll: Further action over 4S? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What action would you take now?

1. pass (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

2. double (29 votes [93.55%])

Percentage of vote: 93.55%

3. 5H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-07, 06:35

This occurred at a regional green-pointed Swiss Pairs event between pairs of a reasonable standard:

What action would you take here, and what else would you consider?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 06:45

I'll consider pass, and then - unsurprisingly - pass.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 06:51

Double, assuming it is penalty. I don't think there are any alternatives.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 06:53

Double, obviously.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-07, 09:13

Seems to me there are three calls to consider: pass, double, and 5. I would not bid 5, that seems way over the top. I would not pass, that seems way too wimpy. So I would double.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 09:28

Definitely double.

Also I am interested to see the north hand that motivated this bidding.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-07, 23:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-07, 09:13, said:

Seems to me there are three calls to consider: pass, double, and 5. I would not bid 5, that seems way over the top. I would not pass, that seems way too wimpy. So I would double.

We're presumably in a forcing pass situation, so Pass isn't really wimpy, it's just non-committal.

So I consider whether to make a forcing pass or double. Since half my strength is in the opponents' suit, and my ODR is really low, I go with double.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 03:41

Double is clear, IMO; this is not one of our forcing-pass scenarios. In fact, I don't think I have ever encountered any pair who play FP by a passed hand opposite a 3rd seat opening which didn't have enough to accept a game invitation. And only at the club would I see the 3H bidder bid 5H.

Righty could actually have the best hand at the table. But, I still double.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-May-08, 04:42

Is there a follow-up poll about what a slow 4 suggests?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-May-08, 05:53

View PostRMB1, on 2014-May-08, 04:42, said:

Maybe partner explained 3 as a mixed raise or something ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-08, 06:09

View PostVixTD, on 2014-May-07, 06:35, said:

This occurred at a regional green-pointed Swiss Pairs event between pairs of a reasonable standard:
What action would you take here, and what else would you consider?
IMO Double = 10, Pass = 6, and 5 = 5 are possible LAs.

View PostRMB1, on 2014-May-08, 04:42, said:

A slow 4 implies weak shape, so suggests pass and 5 over double.

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-May-08, 05:53, said:

Maybe partner explained 3 as a mixed raise or something ....
A "mixed raise" explanation suggests double and 5 rather than pass.

#12 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 07:19

The problem was that partner had alerted 3 and explained it as a weak pre-emptive raise. EW were playing Bergen raises, and West had forgotten. This was the full hand:

Result: 4X(N)-1, NS-100
At the end of play North had asked West why he had doubled, and got the answer "Because partner thinks I'm weak", which understandably got North's dander up. He called the director and said he didn't think West had a good reason to double.

When I asked West why he had doubled he sensibly came up with a story about having a flat defensive hand with probable trump tricks. I asked them about their general methods and they said they didn't have a particular penchant for opening light third in hand, nor do they have firm agreements about when a pass would be forcing.

I asked a few good players what they would do given the authorized information, and got easily enough votes for pass (even though I think, like many of you, that double is an obvious call). I think that double is suggested over pass by the explanation. After much deliberation I adjusted the score to 4(N)-1 to both sides.

North asked me later whether I had considered giving West a procedural penalty for taking advantage of unauthorized information. What do you think of that?

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 08:13

View PostVixTD, on 2014-May-08, 07:19, said:

The problem was that partner had alerted 3 and explained it as a weak pre-emptive raise. EW were playing Bergen raises, and West had forgotten. This was the full hand:

Result: 4X(N)-1, NS-100
At the end of play North had asked West why he had doubled, and got the answer "Because partner thinks I'm weak", which understandably got North's dander up. He called the director and said he didn't think West had a good reason to double.

When I asked West why he had doubled he sensibly came up with a story about having a flat defensive hand with probable trump tricks. I asked them about their general methods and they said they didn't have a particular penchant for opening light third in hand, nor do they have firm agreements about when a pass would be forcing.

I asked a few good players what they would do given the authorized information, and got easily enough votes for pass (even though I think, like many of you, that double is an obvious call). I think that double is suggested over pass by the explanation. After much deliberation I adjusted the score to 4(N)-1 to both sides.

North asked me later whether I had considered giving West a procedural penalty for taking advantage of unauthorized information. What do you think of that?

Normally I would not consider PP. After all both N and S coming from pass, and then bidding 4 after their opponents bid 4. You can take out the double and make it 4 -1 if you believe UI may have a role in double(which I think you were right) But that does not necessarily mean W used UI. However if you confirmed that W really said "Because my pd thinks I am weak" then I think you have to give PP. The guy (W) confessed it after all.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:13

Given West said what he said, I agree with a PP for EW, and with the adjustment given.

I do wonder, though... East has given NS MI. Does that affect anything? I don't have time to think about that right now. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-May-08, 03:41, said:

Double is clear, IMO; this is not one of our forcing-pass scenarios. In fact, I don't think I have ever encountered any pair who play FP by a passed hand opposite a 3rd seat opening which didn't have enough to accept a game invitation. And only at the club would I see the 3H bidder bid 5H.

Huh? Opener DID accept the game invitation.

Or do you think it's different because he was just competing against 3?

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:59

OK, so north thought west was weak, this encouraged his 3 call. Even so, it seems pushy to me.

Obvious PP for west, considering the statement in the OP that these are players "of a reasonable standard".
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-May-08, 13:02

View Postbarmar, on 2014-May-08, 09:19, said:

Huh? Opener DID accept the game invitation.

Or do you think it's different because he was just competing against 3?

No, I could have sworn opener passed 3S. I was wrong, or someone snuck in an edit. Nevertheless, a PH l.r. doesn't create a FP for us. Opener could get Responder's further involvement by bidding something other than mere acceptance..new suit with side length to let us choose whether to continue --not a slam try here, merely getting Responder into the decision making process. He didn't do that, so we just do what we do...I double.

I am quite sure everyone agrees with the 1H opening bid here. They would prefer to reserve a 4H opening for a hand where they would like to confuse partner and the opponents at the same time.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-May-09, 09:37

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-May-08, 13:02, said:

No, I could have sworn opener passed 3S. I was wrong, or someone snuck in an edit.

If there was, it was before I posted, and hence before you responded to my post.

Nevertheless, a PH l.r. doesn't create a FP for us.

Agreed -- it was the acceptance of the invitation that did.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-May-09, 09:48

View Postbarmar, on 2014-May-09, 09:37, said:

Agreed -- it was the acceptance of the invitation that did.(create a FP)

And on that, we disagree for the reasons I already stated above. Even if Opener had elicited my opinion about bidding on via a minor-suit bid, we are not in a FP.

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 12:39

View PostVixTD, on 2014-May-08, 07:19, said:

Given that this (BBF) poll pretty clearly states that pass is not an LA (and, hence, that there was no infraction) I would not give a PP.

The fact that East thought West was weak may have been a reason for West to double (which would merit a PP), but nobody said that it was his only reason. When you came at the table he gave essentially the same argument as "everybody" here: Pass is not an LA.

Your (local) poll said that pass was an LA, so you adjusted. On the other hand, I get the impression that pass was a minority choice. (And here it certainly is.) That means that the judgement whether pass was an LA wasn't easy to make. When a player could genuinely and for good reasons think that pass is not an LA, then IMO you can't give him a PP.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users