BBO Discussion Forums: 3S - X - 4S - ? All vul - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3S - X - 4S - ? All vul

Poll: You hold: Jx - AJx - 8xx - QJ8xx (20 member(s) have cast votes)

All vul, bidding goes: 3S - X - 4S - ? Your call is

1. 5C (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. 5H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. X (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Pass (9 votes [45.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

5. Other (what?) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-30, 14:55

All star team match on BBO. IMPs, all vul:

What would you bid?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-30, 14:59

5. Partner asked me to bid. I have some stuff. Not enough to go crazy, but some stuff. So I bid.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-30, 15:31

I pass

I have nothing special on the auction. I have zero reason to expect to make 11 tricks opposite the usual minimum to middling takeout double, when the opps' defence rates to be sitting behind partner.

My pass, especially when made in tempo, hardly constitutes a bar of partner. If he has the sort of hand on which we can make 5 then most of the time he will reopen.

As for being in-tempo, it is a good idea to make close calls quickly in these situations, since tanking and then acting is on average, in my experience, as costly or more costly than making an in-tempo 'mistake', when the decision is close. Partner gets barred when we pass and when we bid, the opps can take a chunk out of us when they know that we weren't thinking of bidding more, but of passing.

As it happens, I think (with all respect to Art) that this is a wtp? pass.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-30, 15:44

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-30, 15:31, said:

As it happens, I think (with all respect to Art) that this is a wtp? pass.

You may be right. I have been getting a lot of these wrong lately.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 15:48

Needless to say I got it wrong at the table :P But I have to figure out what went wrong with my judgement, so any replies and explanations appreciated, will help me finetune my reasoning in such situations.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:08

I'm so reluctant to pass. We've got a pretty reasonable hand and isn't it quite likely if we pass that it goes AP?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:24

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-30, 15:48, said:

Needless to say I got it wrong at the table :P But I have to figure out what went wrong with my judgement, so any replies and explanations appreciated, will help me finetune my reasoning in such situations.

Imagine, quickly, good hands for partner, in terms of being able to make game. Don't over-reach: don't for example assume that he has a spade void. Assume a decent 4441 without enough to double a second time.

To me, x KQxx Axxx AKxx/ x KQxx AKxx Axxx, which are absolutely perfect fitters with 6 controls, are a second double, especially if I didn't break tempo.

So don't give him that.

Make the hand any worse and 5 has little play.

x Kxxx Axxx AKxx, for example, needs hearts 3-3 with the hook working. No thanks.

He'd pass 4 with that and we'd go quietly plus

x Kxxx AQxx Axxx: again, he'd pass with that, and again we'd avoid a near hopeless (on the auction) contract.

x KQxx AKQx xxxx

I think this is a wtp precisely because most good hands I construct fall into one of two camps. On the ones where we make, partner is bidding again. On the ones we fail, partner is passing. Now, I only construct a few hands and I am sure that with some work I could come up with a justification for bidding: the point is to be alive to the human tendency to construct hands that match what we want to do. Thus ignore hands on which he has a spade void...yes, they exist, but a stiff is far more probable and, again, with a void he may bid again anyway.

There are hands on which the decision is closer: give me xx AJx xx QJxxxx, now this hand rates to be worth a full winner more, and the question is whether it is a loser less :P

Now, x KQxx Axxx Axxx, with which he probably should pass 4 is enough, imo, to make 5 a good call. They may even make 4! Meanwhile, even with optimum defence, we have a play for 5 on some plausible layouts.

x KQxx AQxx Kxxx otoh leaves us very unlikely to make: we need the diamond K onside, which it rates not to be. Of course, LHO may lead a low spade and endplay rho, but that is improbable as well.

So with the 2=3=26 hand, I would imagine good and bad hands and try to be as objective as I can. I like to think I would bid with the example I gave, but it would be close and imo definitely not a wtp.

edit: all of the foregoing is going to look really silly if bidding was the winning action :D At least I can't be called for resulting on this!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:26

View Posteagles123, on 2014-December-30, 16:08, said:

I'm so reluctant to pass. We've got a pretty reasonable hand and isn't it quite likely if we pass that it goes AP?

As I said in my last long post: construct 'good' hands where partner should pass: now see how many of them make game.

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:36

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-30, 16:26, said:

As I said in my last long post: construct 'good' hands where partner should pass: now see how many of them make game.

well maybe we should x?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 17:04

View Posteagles123, on 2014-December-30, 16:08, said:

If so, it's quite likely that they're not making and neither are we. If I double, I'm not going to feel happy if P makes any call but 5.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 17:30

I have enough to double, so I will do it, double shows a balanced hand, I don't expect him to pull often.

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-30, 18:34

I don't think 5 is going for 800, some chance to make. could be a good sacrifice even if doesn't make.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 18:41

Pass >> double >>> 5

#14 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 19:23

i'd double. it might be screwing us but that's life

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-30, 21:03

pass. this can still be a 20-20 point split (making dbl risky), and I got no shape whatsoever for any bidding.

#16 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-December-30, 21:13

Pass. My 9 losers won't make game unless partner has substantial extras. Partner needs 4-5 losers. Pass is the only way to find that out. Would consider a double IFF we need a top. Cannot find a double at IMPs.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 02:11

To be honest I do not see this as clear as Mike does. The points he made are all good points. But there is thing about good opponents when they open 3M and raise to game vulnerable....it usually either makes or goes down 1 at most. Maybe this is what my experiences taught me, perhaps coincidentally.

But look at the example hands Mike constructed, especially the ones he mentioned that we should not count because those hands will make a 2nd double and anything worse than that we will have a very little play in 5. Up to this point I agree. However, ironically if you make pd's hand any worse, our defense prospects are diminished also. Passers talk as if going plus is guaranteed, which is not even remotely guaranteed imo. Unless of course opponents do not have singleton or void in this auction, which is unlikely. They both may have shortness and this is when it gets ugly, especially when we have a huge fit as well.

Having said all of that, I would not bid 5. Whether I pass or dbl depends on what it actually means. To me dbl means "I have values but not shape to bid anything myself" All teh hands being constructed for pd are 1444 hand as far as I saw. Why pd can not have 1453 1543 (with weak hearts) or 0463? Having learnt I have some values, perhaps he can reevaluate his hand. Or is everyone playing 4 dbl = penalty? I admit we are a tad light for this and our hcps are not prime. My point is I do not think pass leads to good result as often as some of us think it will.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 03:29

OK, thanks all. So it wasn't clear what to do, at least I wasn't on another planet when I found it hard to decide without huddling for 5 minutes.

I first thought "Goodie, I've got stuff!", then I tried to picture what I need for game/slam to make. I then realized partner needs to have quite a perfect hand for us to make something 5th or 6th level, and then, instead of passing, I figured I have to tell pd I've got something, so I doubled.

I didn't expect double to be 100% penalty, and pd was a very good player, he wouldn't play me for a trump stack with opps bidding and raising spades against us. But he had the most boring 1-4-4-4 T/O double so he left it in, and opps made 4SX.

Other table bid 5C which went down 2 undoubled.

What went wrong with my judgement though was that I kinda took it for granted that we own the board, and didn't consider the possibility of them making as a strong alternative, in which case maybe I should have thought of bidding just because we don't know who makes what and we've got a good fit.

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-December-31, 05:24

Of course, the proper reason to pass has been explained by Mike - think about what would happen opposite typical hands from partner. Let me add 2 small cents to his analysis:
- It is a mistake to only think about 1444 hands with partner. While 4 might be the most frequent club length with partner, he will have 3 clubs quite often (and much more often than 5) - that obviously makes the case for defending stronger. There is even a small chance that he has 2 spades.
- While there are 16 counts where we will miss games by passing (I dont think x Kxxx KQJxx AKx should double again), partner is much more likely to have a minimum takeout double. In that case, 5C is down for sure, and 4S may or may not be down - just the situation where you want to take your chances defending undoubled.

But the short reason to pass is that our hand is not too different from what partner expects. He will play us roughly for a balanced 7 count; a balanced 9 count (with one hcp wasted) is not too a good enough reason to take action at the 5 level. If you think about it that way, you may find a pass in tempo at the table.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-31, 05:43

4441s are not boring :)

If dbl is sort of "optional", I might have pulled with pard's hand (without even seeing it).Posted Image

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users