• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

transfer lebensohl

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 06:04

Playing Precision and matchpoints :

Wife and I use transfer lebensohl in several situations. Most commonly :...If Oppponents open a weak 2 and I do an immediate double....Or if I open 1NT and opponents interfere at the 2 level...Or if I overcall 1NT, as in (1H) -1NT - (2H).....

For some time, we have also been using 'regular ' lebensohl when opponents overcall our 1 of a suit opening and partner's next bid has to be made at the two level.....eg 1H - (2C) -...?....We have been contemplating changing this over to a transfer lebensohl scheme...I'm wondering what you think of this ?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 07:27

Transfers are becoming increasingly popular in all competitive situations. One example you might find useful is Ben's Equality method. The specific example of 1 - 2 is copy-pasted below:-

1H-(2C)
----> DBL “diamonds or balance mis-fit”
----> 2D = 4+ spades, 1RF
----> 2H “any kind or raise”
----> 2S = 5+ spades, (since !D shown by dbl) not forcing
----> 2NT = Useful raise
----> 3♣ Mixed raise
----> 3♦/3♠, Fit jumps
----> 4C splinter

I think calling such schemes Lebensohl is stretching the term somewhat. It might perhaps be helpful for you to post an example of what you play now and what you are considering along with the logical rules behind it so that it can be extrapolated to the other auctions.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 08:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-29, 07:27, said:

Transfers are becoming increasingly popular in all competitive situations. One example you might find useful is Ben's Equality method. The specific example of 1 - 2 is copy-pasted below:-

1H-(2C)
----> DBL “diamonds or balance mis-fit”
----> 2D = 4+ spades, 1RF
----> 2H “any kind or raise”
----> 2S = 5+ spades, (since !D shown by dbl) not forcing
----> 2NT = Useful raise
----> 3♣ Mixed raise
----> 3♦/3♠, Fit jumps
----> 4C splinter

I think calling such schemes Lebensohl is stretching the term somewhat. It might perhaps be helpful for you to post an example of what you play now and what you are considering along with the logical rules behind it so that it can be extrapolated to the other auctions.

Thanks.

We currently play :
Opening 1H and opponents overcall 1NT through 2S.......if partner bids 2NT, its a relay to 3C and I wait and see her next action.....if she bids my hearts after the relay, it's invitational....On the other hand, if she is able to stay at the two level, her bid is non-forcing and meant to play.....direct raises of Hearts..2,3, or 4 are meant to play....Direct bids at the 3 level are game forcing; we don't do weak jump shifts.......We do fast and slow 3NT to show whether or not we have opponents suit stopped......A cue-bid of opponents suit (at the 3 level) is asking about Honor holding in Hearts with slam interest.

Opening 1S, treatment is very similar

So I think this is very similar to lebensohl....

Opening 1D is a little different because 1D 'may be short'; we employ weak jump shifts, so let's not worry about the 1D opening for this discussion

We were driving home the other night and really just were talking and thinking out loud about " Since are using transfer lebensohl in the situations I described earlier when we open 1NT (weak), would it make sense to do similar treatment when we open 1 of a Major..." I guess the answer may lie in in what is the advantage of transfer lebensohl over regular lebensohl when opening 1NT, and does that advantage extend to the situation when we open 1 of a Major.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users