BBO Discussion Forums: Responses after t/o double having both majors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responses after t/o double having both majors

#1 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-05, 10:46

This time I will present different bidding sequences and want to know what they should show. Actually we had a hand where we discussed later without result.

North passing

North raising

Please correct me when I am wrong. Especially I want to know if any of these bidding sequences is promising 5/4 in majors.

Spoiler

EDIT: Now added all that I wanted to post originally.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-05, 10:58

4-4 majors, nonforcing.

I'm not sure this hand should even exist. Standard response with 4-4 majors weak is 1. So this should show 5 hearts. But then why not reopen with a double? I guess it means "4-5 majors and by the way I overlooked an ace on the last round of bidding".

Various forcing hands, generally asking for the better major.

Again this shows equal length in the majors without significant extras.

Still asking for better major.

Asking bid. Asks whether you would like to look for a new partner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-05, 11:02

You were too fast for me :D
The post went live before completed.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-05, 11:19

The hands where responder bid spades and later bid hearts could be equal length in the majors, or responder could be 5-4 in spades and hearts.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-05, 11:32

I don't enjoy a lot of different topics, so tend not to answer. That's just me and if this format works for the OP and others, I'm ok with that and am not being critical, just explaining why I don't often answer and why, when I do, I may not answer all the subtopics.

Here, I just wanted to comment on the auction in which advancer bid 1, opener rebid 2 and advancer reopened with 2.

This sequence doesn't exist absent a mistake on the part of advancer.

Advancer would always bid 1 with equal length, so presumably advancer is feeling 'stuck' with a 4=5 hand and lacking the values to respond 2 (about 8-10 hcp) or 2 (about good 10+, unlimited upwards).

So he bids 1 and infers that partner doesn't have 4 hearts.

Now, it used to be that doubler needed some extras to bid 2 over the 2, but I think the current popular style is that doubler should bid 2 in competition with any 4 card holding. Thus advancer can infer that partner lacks 4 hearts, and so may infer that partner 'must' have 4 spades.

However, that isn't necessarily so. AQx KJx xx Kxxxx is a double of 1, not a 2 overcall.

That means that bidding 2 risks forcing partner to the 3-level to correct to hearts, which makes no sense when advancer is weak.

The answer lies in realizing that on these types of hands, the almost sure 5-3 heart fit will play well enough to be the contract, rather than trying to hit the probable 4-4 spade fit. 4-4 fits often generate a trick more than a 5-3, but this isn't as true for low-level contracts with modest values as it is for hands where the declaring side has most of the strength. In addition, the ability to stay at the 2-level makes up for any other issue.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-05, 16:47

A cuebid at the 2 level is any GF hand, ot exceptionally an invitational with specifically both majors (will raise whatever partner bids to the 3 level).

A cuebid at the 3 level is Game Frcing however, since with 4-4 majors you would make a responsive double.

1-X-2-2.... 3 should not be a normal 4-4 since that hand uses responsive double. So it is a 5-4 hand, or perhaps a 4-4 with very huge quality difference for spades. over hearts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users