BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2241 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-10, 03:35

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-10, 03:00, said:

Did I miss something? Is Raul Castro running in this election?

Please, take Corbyn and his supporters

#2242 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 06:44

View Postkenberg, on 2016-October-08, 16:54, said:

I sure as hell hope so!
Way, way past time.

I think when things like this turn, the turn is steep and final. I hope so.

I started following elections, in my 13 year old way, in 1952. I saw Joe McCarthy on tv talking about how Stevenson had belonged to organizations on the Attorney General's subversive list. Perhaps that was worse [no, cancel that, McCarthy was not going to be the pres. Ike should have disavowed this, but at least McC did not become pres], but this has been more repulsive.

Later, it was impossible to find someone who would acknowledge that he was once pro-McCarthy. I wish the same fate for Trump.

It isn't so easy now. Public records of who supported who are much more ubiquitous. It is kind of sad in a way, all these other Rs who came out to support him out of fear, just waiting for the right reason to withdraw it. Even Ted Cruz caved, not long before this "new" information came out. I could respect Rs who opposed Trump the entire time, but who are they?

Also sadly, this is not the end. The Trumpish part of the population is bigger and stronger than I ever thought, and now they are emboldened as well. We can look forward to candidates across the country embracing this segment more openly. How they fare in the 2018 midterms will have a strong influence on the 2020 presidential candidate. If they do well, we will have another like Trump. Perhaps even one of his children.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#2243 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 08:07

Most pathetic excuse for a "debate" that I have ever seen. Schoolyard bully versus snake-in-the-grass. Palpable disgust for each other was evident but kudos to Trump for the last word on Hillary not being a quitter. All she could come up with was that she liked his kids....ridiculous.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2244 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 08:08

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-October-10, 08:07, said:

Palpable disgust for each other was evident but kudos to Trump for the last word on Hillary not being a quitter. All she could come up with was that she liked his kids....ridiculous.

What do you think she should have said?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2245 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-October-10, 08:34

You could see that she was deathly afraid of saying anything positive about DT for fear that it be used against her later. How about that he is extremely effective at promoting (a brand, especially himself) and that since the US desperately needs an image makeover that he would make a great Secretary of State in her cabinet....ROFLMAO

#2246 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-October-10, 08:55

Or how about since he was such a good lie-detector that he would have a place in the DoJ? Now Trump might then have retorted that since she was such a good liar that she could work for him as CIA head... :lol:

#2247 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-October-10, 09:00

I thought the question was very good.
I also thought her reply was excellent.
A friend once said to me that our kids are better than what we deserve. I agreed wholeheartedly.
I would find it very difficult to say something about Trump himself that I admired. Lightning might strike me.
Ken

#2248 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-10, 09:16

View Postbillw55, on 2016-October-10, 06:44, said:

It isn't so easy now. Public records of who supported who are much more ubiquitous. It is kind of sad in a way, all these other Rs who came out to support him out of fear, just waiting for the right reason to withdraw it. Even Ted Cruz caved, not long before this "new" information came out. I could respect Rs who opposed Trump the entire time, but who are they?

Also sadly, this is not the end. The Trumpish part of the population is bigger and stronger than I ever thought, and now they are emboldened as well. We can look forward to candidates across the country embracing this segment more openly. How they fare in the 2018 midterms will have a strong influence on the 2020 presidential candidate. If they do well, we will have another like Trump. Perhaps even one of his children.

Trump is right about one thing: there is most definitely a conspiracy - a conspiracy of sane, rational people attempting to prevent the crazies from taking over.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2249 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-October-10, 11:52

View Postcherdano, on 2016-October-10, 08:08, said:

"As far as I know, he hasn't actually *****ed his daughter"
Alderaan delenda est

#2250 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-10, 11:57

Carl Becker's question was quite good and I think it probably threw off HRC. Its like being in a job interview and you've prepared for all of the canned question and things are humming along and then suddenly you get asked a question and you have to think on your feet.

I like the 'he's a great promoter' answer suggested above. It would been somewhat of a backhanded compliment since a President needs to have substance and not just coming up with ideas off the top of his head.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2251 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-10, 12:04

View Postcherdano, on 2016-October-10, 08:08, said:

You're no P.T. Barnum.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2252 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-October-10, 12:28

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-10, 11:57, said:

Carl Becker's question was quite good and I think it probably threw off HRC. Its like being in a job interview and you've prepared for all of the canned question and things are humming along and then suddenly you get asked a question and you have to think on your feet.

I like the 'he's a great promoter' answer suggested above. It would been somewhat of a backhanded compliment since a President needs to have substance and not just coming up with ideas off the top of his head.

"He's a good promoter" would not have been a backhanded compliment, it would have been a backhanded slap. It would have been an insult to the viewer who posed the question, taking his request to try to find something good to say and using it to be insulting. The answer that she actually gave might well have been the straightest answer from either candidate the entire night. And Trump's answer that she had tenacity (I am not sure of the exact wording) had merit as well. It is not possible for the two of them to speak of each other as they did for ninety minutes and then say something nice about the other's character. Trump says that she belongs in jail. Clinton says that the recorded remarks about the groping of women is exactly who he is. After that, some nice words about the other's children and a comment about tenacity is absolutely the most that can be expected.

I suppose, in the spirit of "good promoter", Trump might have said "She and Bill have been admirably agile in avoiding the legal consequences of their actions".

I'm fine with the answers that they gave.
Ken

#2253 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-October-10, 14:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-October-10, 09:16, said:

Trump is right about one thing: there is most definitely a conspiracy - a conspiracy of sane, rational people attempting to prevent the crazies from taking over.

Seems to me that it was Hillary that claimed there was a "right-wing" conspiracy to crucify her hubby Slick Willie. What say, crazy CTer HRC?

#2254 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-October-10, 14:55

Well, let's see; in private it was Good ol' boy Harry S. that said "after making Adam, something about the left-over dust being niggers and Chinamen.

Or along the same sexist lines, LBJ refers to his strategy as working up their (the Russians IIRC) leg one inch at a time until he gets to the snatch...

Face it, your presidents are real people with real foibles which helps to explain the messes that they get you into.

#2255 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-October-10, 15:04

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-October-10, 14:51, said:

Seems to me that it was Hillary that claimed there was a "right-wing" conspiracy to crucify her hubby Slick Willie. What say, crazy CTer HRC?

I Googled CTer:

Council for Tribal Employment Rights
Council for Technical Education Research
Center for Therapeutic Effectiveness Research

This is harder than the Sunday Crossword, I am ready for a hint.

Oops, got it. See old Mel Gibson movies.

Last week the theme was O changed to U, perhaps just phonetically.
So: Actor Grant, when Hollywood bound, was Westward Hugh.
I'm getting the hang of this.
Ken

#2256 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-October-10, 15:13

View Postkenberg, on 2016-October-10, 12:28, said:

"He's a good promoter" would not have been a backhanded compliment, it would have been a backhanded slap. It would have been an insult to the viewer who posed the question, taking his request to try to find something good to say and using it to be insulting.

After mulling this over for awhile, I still don't see that "He's a good promoter" has a negative connotation. Trump is in fact a good promoter and promoting is a useful skill. I must be missing something here, but am not sure what.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2257 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-October-10, 15:47

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-October-10, 15:13, said:

After mulling this over for awhile, I still don't see that "He's a good promoter" has a negative connotation. Trump is in fact a good promoter and promoting is a useful skill. I must be missing something here, but am not sure what.

Think of it as being like calling someone, oh, let's see, Miss Housekeeping.

Promoter, like Housekeeper, can be an honorable profession. The skills are useful.

I was replying to Phil's observation:
"I like the 'he's a great promoter' answer suggested above. It would been somewhat of a backhanded compliment since a President needs to have substance and not just coming up with ideas off the top of his head."
He and i agree on the "backhanded". Really there is not that much difference between "backhanded compliment" and "backhanded slap"

Bottom line: I believe "He is a good promoter" would have been taken as an insult and I believe it would have been intended as an insult.

But once burned twice shy so I am wary about debates over what is insulting and why.

As it happened, Trump was put off his stride a bit by the compliment to his children. He was looking for a trap "I'm not sure it was intended as a compliment". As I see it, Clinton was challenged to say something nice about Trump. This was the best she could come up with on the spot, and better than I could have come up with. If I were then in Trump's shoes, I like to think that I could have responded "Thank you, I am proud of them, I appreciate the kind words". After a little stumbling,I think he did get to something like that. He probably still has people looking for the trap in it.
Ken

#2258 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-October-10, 16:09

Sometimes the same idea hits many people at the same time. The other day I was visiting with twin grandkids, boys, now 12. This was about my age when I took an interest in politics. A child's interest, but an interest. I did not chat with the twins about this, but I was wondering later what if anything they made of it. And, I thought, how about teachers? When I went to school part of the time was given over to current events. It seems tricky.

That visit was just before this heavy fleeing from Trump by Rs. As I read about these defections, I was struck by how many of them mentioned their kids or their grandkids. Not so much their wives or their sisters, or their mothers, but their kids. One woman, an ordinary voter, had just given up on Trump. She said something like "I wouldn't be able to look my kids in the face". I watched the debate on PBS. One of the commentators, Amy Walter, mentioned her fourth grader.

For many reasons, Trump is done. But we do polls on everything it seems, and I would like to know how Trump scores with parents of teens or pre-teens. I am thinking the answer might be very bad for Trump.
Ken

#2259 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2016-October-10, 17:53

This just in:

Putin Cancels Campaign Event with Trump BY ANDY BOROWITZ

“As the father of two daughters, I cannot condone or defend Mr. Trump’s behavior,” the Russian leader said in a curt official statement.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2260 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-October-10, 19:49

View Postkenberg, on 2016-October-10, 15:47, said:

Think of it as being like calling someone, oh, let's see, Miss Housekeeping.

Promoter, like Housekeeper, can be an honorable profession. The skills are useful.

I was replying to Phil's observation:

"I like the 'he's a great promoter' answer suggested above. It would been somewhat of a backhanded compliment since a President needs to have substance and not just coming up with ideas off the top of his head."

He and I agree on the "backhanded". Really there is not that much difference between "backhanded compliment" and "backhanded slap"

Bottom line: I believe "He is a good promoter" would have been taken as an insult and I believe it would have been intended as an insult.

Well the actual question asked was:

“Would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another?”

After Hillary said that Trump was not fit to be president and Trump said that Hillary belonged in jail, I'm pretty sure that the asker knew neither considered the other qualified to be president. He just wanted to hear one positive thing. Had Hillary complimented Trump's skill as a promoter, I surely would have taken that at face value, not as an insult.

But at least I now know what you meant. Thanks!
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

68 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 67 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. kenberg