BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2801 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-15, 08:37

Kaitlyn S, on 2016-November-14, 19:55, said:

If you're in an HR office, your legal team is telling you that if you are going to hire a black, you'd better make damn sure they aren't likely to sue you if things go bad. How do you do that? I don't think you can.

Over the last 10 years, I've been directly or indirectly involved in hiring about 40 people (for permanent or temporary positions). This was at two different very large employers, with a large HR office, which gave us quite a bit of guidance (or training materials we had to go through), and set a number of procedures to follow.

Not once have I been told by HR to be extra careful when "hiring a black".
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2802 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-November-15, 08:58

cherdano, on 2016-November-15, 08:37, said:

Over the last 10 years, I've been directly or indirectly involved in hiring about 40 people (for permanent or temporary positions). This was at two different very large employers, with a large HR office, which gave us quite a bit of guidance (or training materials we had to go through), and set a number of procedures to follow.

Not once have I been told by HR to be extra careful when "hiring a black".

It's been many years (1980s) since I did any hiring for a large corporation, but my experience then was similar.

One time, though, a very qualified young woman interviewing for a programming position said at the end of the interview:

"I don't know if I should tell you this, but I recently found out that I'm pregnant."

I told her that she should not tell me that, and that it could not be considered.

A few months later, after it was clear that she had been pregnant when hired, my boss asked me if I had known about it, and I told him what had transpired. He was livid: "YOU HIRED HER EVEN THOUGH YOU KNEW SHE WAS PREGNANT?"

I wasn't as laid back then as I am now, and that triggered one of our many loud arguments...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2803 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:02

I think the reason that the Conservative posters on this and other threads sound so deranged is that they are forced to try to defend extremist positions. Donald Trump and the Republican Party in the United States, with its balls in the vise-like grip of the religious right, have ceded the centre, as well as some of their logical and /or traditional positions. Examples of "true" Conservative positions would be: abortion? The government has no place coming between doctors and their patients. Supreme Court justices? We want strict constructivists, preferably with no strong views about the political issues of today. Gay marriage? Well, I am a bit iffy on this one, but the Conservative position has always been very pro-marriage. So it is not unreasonable to think that they would want more marriage, rather than less. Free trade? Hell yeah. Immigration? It's what made our country great. Russia? Let's get real.

I am sure others can think of more.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2804 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:14

PassedOut, on 2016-November-15, 08:58, said:

A few months later, after it was clear that she had been pregnant when hired, my boss asked me if I had known about it, and I told him what had transpired. He was livid: "YOU HIRED HER EVEN THOUGH YOU KNEW SHE WAS PREGNANT?"

Worse, I have seen a young female applicant being turned down because she was in the age where she might become pregnant.

I have also seen once an applicant being turned down because he was muslim (well, had a surname that suggested he was). The manager who made the decision could have been sarcastic when he used that as his motivation, I just don't think he was.

Obviously I have often been on receiving end of such discrimination myself as I desperately needed a job during "transitioning". But from the interview panels I have been on myself, I don't have the impression that we generally discriminate in one way or the other, the two exceptions mentions notwithstanding.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2805 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:47

helene_t, on 2016-November-15, 09:14, said:

Worse, I have seen a young female applicant being turned down because she was in the age where she might become pregnant.

I have also seen once an applicant being turned down because he was muslim (well, had a surname that suggested he was). The manager who made the decision could have been sarcastic when he used that as his motivation, I just don't think he was.

Obviously I have often been on receiving end of such discrimination myself as I desperately needed a job during "transitioning". But from the interview panels I have been on myself, I don't have the impression that we generally discriminate in one way or the other, the two exceptions mentions notwithstanding.

That must have been a stressful situation for you, and for anyone who faces the possibility of missing an opportunity for irrational reasons. Losing valuable talent isn't good for companies either, which is why there are procedures to reduce the chances of that, as well as to avoid legal problems.

I never got any negative reaction to hiring Muslims (it wasn't so much of an issue in the 1980s), but I did hear from one applicant about discrimination he had faced in another job. Ordinarily you don't want to hear an applicant talking about negative experiences at another company, but this was an exceptional case and I looked into it, believed him, and he was one of the Muslim hires.

The pregnancy thing stood out to me because it was so unusual.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2806 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:00

helene_t, on 2016-November-15, 09:14, said:

From what I've heard, statistics say otherwise. Even just being more attractive or taller gives you an edge up on the competition.

http://www.theatlant...ng-tall/393518/

For the most part, I think the biases are subconscious, but they exist and are statistically significant.

#2807 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:03

barmar, on 2016-November-15, 10:00, said:

From what I've heard, statistics say otherwise. Even just being more attractive or taller gives you an edge up on the competition.

http://www.theatlant...ng-tall/393518/

For the most part, I think the biases are subconscious, but they exist and are statistically significant.

Oh yes, I don't dispute that. I was only talking about cases where the explicit motivation for the choice was discriminatory.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2808 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:03

Kaitlyn S, on 2016-November-14, 14:52, said:

There are many that think there can be no other possible reason to vote for Trump than being a stupid uninformed bigoted racist misogynist and trying to convince them otherwise is a waste of breath (or typing.)

I can understand believing in conservative principles, and pursuing them politically. What baffles me is wanting Trump in particular. There was Kasich, Rubio, perhaps others. Why, from among reasonable candidates, specifically choose the one who is openly racist and misogynistic? Who routinely bankrupts businesses? Who insults and attacks family of veterans killed in the line of duty? That is where you lost me. Why this guy specifically? You say it is not for being racist or misogynist yourselves. So what was it?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#2809 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:10

helene_t, on 2016-November-15, 10:03, said:

Oh yes, I don't dispute that. I was only talking about cases where the explicit motivation for the choice was discriminatory.

I'd like to believe that such blatant discrimination is a thing of the past -- it's both illegal and directly addressed in corporate policies. But human nature being what it is, I'm not surprised to hear that it still goes on, just hopefully to a far lesser extent than in the past.

#2810 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:14

billw55, on 2016-November-15, 10:03, said:

I can understand believing in conservative principles, and pursuing them politically. What baffles me is wanting Trump in particular. There was Kasich, Rubio, perhaps others. Why, from among reasonable candidates, specifically choose the one who is openly racist and misogynistic? Who routinely bankrupts businesses? Who insults and attacks family of veterans killed in the line of duty? That is where you lost me. Why this guy specifically? You say it is not for being racist or misogynist yourselves. So what was it?

I think this explains it.

When analyzing why Trump beat Hillary Clinton, Chomsky said the left failed to properly engage with rural, white, working-class voters in regions of the country long seen as Democratic strongholds. The MIT linguistics professor also said that blame for the ongoing degradation of the working class lies with neoliberal Democrats like the Clintons.

“[F]or working people, there is a great difference between a steady job in manufacturing with union wages and benefits, as in earlier years, and a temporary job with little security in some service profession,” Chomsky said. “Apart from wages, benefits and security, there is a loss of dignity, of hope for the future, of a sense that this is a world in which I belong and play a worthwhile role.”

Chomsky also faulted the Clinton campaign for running on a continuation of the status quo, saying that Trump represented a change that, while scary for many, was preferable to the ongoing political and economic climate of today’s America.

“That is a crucial difference between today’s despair and the generally hopeful attitudes of many working people under much greater economic duress during the Great Depression of the 1930s,” Chomsky said.

However, the author and political thinker also said Trump’s election signifies the rise of white supremacist ideology in the United States, saying white Americans lashing out at a changing demographic landscape made a Trump presidency a reality.

“In a decade or two, whites are projected to be a minority of the work force, and not too much later, a minority of the population,” Chomsky told TruthOut. “The traditional conservative culture is also perceived as under attack by the successes of identity politics, regarded as the province of elites who have only contempt for the ”hard-working, patriotic, church-going [white] Americans with real family values” who see their familiar country as disappearing before their eyes.”

When you add these two groups together - those who were abandoned by the Democratic Party (workers and union members) and white authoritarians fearful of a changing demographic landscape - you get a Trump victory.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2811 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:23

Winstonm, on 2016-November-15, 10:14, said:

those who were abandoned by the Democratic Party (workers and union members)

In what sense did the Deomocratic Party abandon them?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2812 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:28

cherdano, on 2016-November-15, 10:23, said:

By not doing anything to actually improve their prospects.

#2813 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:31

barmar, on 2016-November-15, 10:28, said:

By not doing anything to actually improve their prospects.

This is not, you know, factually correct.

#2814 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:35

cherdano, on 2016-November-15, 10:31, said:

This is not, you know, factually correct.

Facts are not what matters, feelings are.

But what have Democrats done to keep the manufacturing jobs in the US?

#2815 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:36

y66, on 2016-November-15, 08:17, said:

For future reference, who can I pray to to get someone who can represent the conservative position here in the water cooler at a standard equal to what awm, kenberg, helene_t, cherdano, mikeh and others bring to the discussion? Right now it just feels like Lyoto Machida vs 4 five-year olds.

Let's see whether we can find a clue to this imbalance

Global warming, aka climate change. Hmm. Well over 90% of those with expertise in the area, qualified to express an expert opinion, think that global warming is real and that human activity (especially use of fossil fuels and large herds of livestock) are playing a major role. Most liberals accept the science. Most conservatives do not. Who will have the better reality-based argument?

Racial prejudice: afaik, and I admit to being no more than an interested layperson, with an eclectic but broad taste in reading, there are numerous studies demonstrating the pervasive effect of racial bias. Most of these studies are US based, but not all, and I think it fair to say that racism is not simply white v black. It occurs in other cultures and between other racial groups. I know of no study that suggests that racial bias is absent from any large, heterogeneous group. Liberals usually accept this and support efforts to reduce its existence and ameliorate its effects. Conservatives tend to deny its existence, and/or tend to argue that it is justified (see Kaitlyn's references to the inner cities, which is a code for 'blacks create their own problems', and almost uniformly claim that efforts to combat racism are themselves racist.

Same-sex marriage: conservatives generally oppose this, on the basis that their God has dictated that homosexuality is a sin and/or that God intended marriage to be heterosexual and/or that the purpose of marriage is to ensure procreation. Of course, many marriages are childless, so this latter point seems difficult to defend unless one wanted to assert that no marriage is valid unless the woman produces offspring. Ironically, it is liberals who tend to argue that the state has no business intruding into the private lives of citizens and that if two people of the same sex want to get married, more power to them. Given that there is no evidence that any god exists, and even less that any of the multitude of gods worshipped over the millennia exist, and no logical reason for thinking that an all-powerful, all-knowing creator would give a rat's ass about gay sex (especially since gay sex is part of its creation, and not only in humans), it seems to me that the anti-gay people have a tough time coming up with a defensible position, other than 'we don't like it'.

Abortion: here, I think it is possible to come up with some arguments, but the ones that most anti-abortionists advance are ludicrous. The Pope, for example, babbles about ensoulment, the utterly fictional notion that somehow a soul implants itself, or is implanted, in an egg the moment it is fertilized by a sperm. Why this happens with human eggs but not, say, the egg of a chimpanzee (which shares more than 97% of the human genome, and which few of us could distinguish from a human egg cell even under a powerful microscope) is left unexplained.....it's a miracle I say, a miracle! Life begins at conception? Well, the egg was 'alive' before conception and so was the sperm. The actual biochemistry is well understood. The process by which two cells combine and then divide and divide again and again, with increasing complexity, is pretty well understood, altho more and more details are being found with ongoing research. There is neither room nor need for a 'soul' to explain any of this. There is neither need nor biological justification for stating that a fertilized cell is a human being.

One could argue on moral grounds that we ought not lightly or at all deprive that cell of the opportunity to develop into a human, but that is an argument that is relatively easy to oppose. After all, a cell, or indeed fairly advanced fetuses, have no awareness, and no consciousness, so we are not creating pain or suffering. In addition, women spontaneously abort many fetuses so early in the pregnancy that they are unaware of being pregnant (at least, I have read that from biologists who seem to know what they are writing about), so it seems difficult to justify outrage at a woman who chooses to do deliberately what is so frequently happening naturally. In any event, once one starts arguing morality, one has to deal with issues such as rape, serious birtn defect, effect of the pregnancy on the woman's physical and mental health, the ability of the woman to provide a decent life for the child, and so on. On a more abstract level, we ought to be concerned about the seemingly inexorable rate of growth of the human population and the devastating effect of that on the environment, and the likely habitability of the world over the next several generations.

So even here, where I can come up with some plausible arguments, it seems to me that most conservatives choose, instead, to rely on dogma and allegedly holy writings rather than deal with reality.

I could go on, to speak of health care, access to clean air and water, policing practices, use of the military, and so on. On some topics, conservatives do appear to me to have some decent arguments, but as Helene noted, reality tends to have a liberal bias. More accurately, liberal thinking tends to be more reality based than does conservative thinking. Most people who really enjoy bridge, which is a very logical activity, will, I think, tend to recognize and prefer reality over fantasy. Thus most here will write, if they write, from what will appear to the Kaitlyns of the world as a liberal perspective.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2816 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:43

mikeh, on 2016-November-15, 10:36, said:

On a more abstract level, we ought to be concerned about the seemingly inexorable rate of growth of the human population and the devastating effect of that on the environment, and the likely habitability of the world over the next several generations.

On this we agree and anyone who's serious about global warming or sustainability DOES agree. (Specifically 3rd world overpopulation, since the western world is barely at replacement growth, if that.) And there's nothing 'abstract' about it. It's by far the most important issue of our time.

My birth father wrote a book that's half-decent on the subject.

Thanks for reminding me of another reason I dislike Hillary:

"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2817 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:47

cherdano, on 2016-November-15, 10:23, said:

Neo-liberals (such as Bill and Hillary Clinton) supported the economic ideas that led to an overabundance of workers competing for limited jobs (in the U.S.) which has resulted in stagnant wages and a sense of a powerless workforce.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2818 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:52

barmar, on 2016-November-15, 10:35, said:

Facts are not what matters, feelings are.

I don't disagree. But we shouldn't say that Democrats have not done anything for them when we mean that they have done things for them, they just have been unable to communicate that, and been unable to establish an emotional connection.

But what have Democrats done to keep the manufacturing jobs in the US?

US manufacturing output is at an all-time high, it is just that US manufacturing has become more and more productive, i.e. it needs less workers to produce higher output. This is a natural result of economic progress.
[Yes, this doesn't mean it can't be harmful to communities that depended on manufacturing jobs in their neighbourhood.]

Meanwhile, under Obama the federal government has passed health care reform, expanded EITC credits, has done a number of quite effective steps to reign in excesses of Wall Street etc.

Certainly beats "replacing Medicare by Obama-care style system" as proposed by Paul Ryan.

#2819 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-November-15, 11:02

mikeh, on 2016-November-15, 10:36, said:

Let's see whether we can find a clue to this imbalance

Global warming, aka climate change. Hmm. Well over 90% of those with expertise in the area, qualified to express an expert opinion, think that global warming is real and that human activity (especially use of fossil fuels and large herds of livestock) are playing a major role. Most liberals accept the science. Most conservatives do not. Who will have the better reality-based argument?

Racial prejudice: afaik, and I admit to being no more than an interested layperson, with an eclectic but broad taste in reading, there are numerous studies demonstrating the pervasive effect of racial bias. Most of these studies are US based, but not all, and I think it fair to say that racism is not simply white v black. It occurs in other cultures and between other racial groups. I know of no study that suggests that racial bias is absent from any large, heterogeneous group. Liberals usually accept this and support efforts to reduce its existence and ameliorate its effects. Conservatives tend to deny its existence, and/or tend to argue that it is justified (see Kaitlyn's references to the inner cities, which is a code for 'blacks create their own problems', and almost uniformly claim that efforts to combat racism are themselves racist.

Same-sex marriage: conservatives generally oppose this, on the basis that their God has dictated that homosexuality is a sin and/or that God intended marriage to be heterosexual and/or that the purpose of marriage is to ensure procreation. Of course, many marriages are childless, so this latter point seems difficult to defend unless one wanted to assert that no marriage is valid unless the woman produces offspring. Ironically, it is liberals who tend to argue that the state has no business intruding into the private lives of citizens and that if two people of the same sex want to get married, more power to them. Given that there is no evidence that any god exists, and even less that any of the multitude of gods worshipped over the millennia exist, and no logical reason for thinking that an all-powerful, all-knowing creator would give a rat's ass about gay sex (especially since gay sex is part of its creation, and not only in humans), it seems to me that the anti-gay people have a tough time coming up with a defensible position, other than 'we don't like it'.

Abortion: here, I think it is possible to come up with some arguments, but the ones that most anti-abortionists advance are ludicrous. The Pope, for example, babbles about ensoulment, the utterly fictional notion that somehow a soul implants itself, or is implanted, in an egg the moment it is fertilized by a sperm. Why this happens with human eggs but not, say, the egg of a chimpanzee (which shares more than 97% of the human genome, and which few of us could distinguish from a human egg cell even under a powerful microscope) is left unexplained.....it's a miracle I say, a miracle! Life begins at conception? Well, the egg was 'alive' before conception and so was the sperm. The actual biochemistry is well understood. The process by which two cells combine and then divide and divide again and again, with increasing complexity, is pretty well understood, altho more and more details are being found with ongoing research. There is neither room nor need for a 'soul' to explain any of this. There is neither need nor biological justification for stating that a fertilized cell is a human being.

One could argue on moral grounds that we ought not lightly or at all deprive that cell of the opportunity to develop into a human, but that is an argument that is relatively easy to oppose. After all, a cell, or indeed fairly advanced fetuses, have no awareness, and no consciousness, so we are not creating pain or suffering. In addition, women spontaneously abort many fetuses so early in the pregnancy that they are unaware of being pregnant (at least, I have read that from biologists who seem to know what they are writing about), so it seems difficult to justify outrage at a woman who chooses to do deliberately what is so frequently happening naturally. In any event, once one starts arguing morality, one has to deal with issues such as rape, serious birtn defect, effect of the pregnancy on the woman's physical and mental health, the ability of the woman to provide a decent life for the child, and so on. On a more abstract level, we ought to be concerned about the seemingly inexorable rate of growth of the human population and the devastating effect of that on the environment, and the likely habitability of the world over the next several generations.

So even here, where I can come up with some plausible arguments, it seems to me that most conservatives choose, instead, to rely on dogma and allegedly holy writings rather than deal with reality.

I could go on, to speak of health care, access to clean air and water, policing practices, use of the military, and so on. On some topics, conservatives do appear to me to have some decent arguments, but as Helene noted, reality tends to have a liberal bias. More accurately, liberal thinking tends to be more reality based than does conservative thinking. Most people who really enjoy bridge, which is a very logical activity, will, I think, tend to recognize and prefer reality over fantasy. Thus most here will write, if they write, from what will appear to the Kaitlyns of the world as a liberal perspective.

I wonder what the right-to-lifers would say about a Muslim abortion?

The right-wingers tend to hold less defensible positions, which makes them O.K., I think, with Trump's lack of logic, to wit, his recent statement that he was O.K. with gay marriage as that had been decided by the Supreme Court but he was not O.K. with abortion laws (which was also decided by the Supreme Court in Roe v Wade).

#2820 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 11:17

Sorry folks, the Democrats stopped being the 'reality-based' community about the time Obama was being sworn in.

We've tried it your way for 50+ years. Before President Trump, America has been in freefall. We used to be the sole military & economic superpower. We had high social capital. We used to reward excellence & value thrift & hard work. A family, even a fairly large one, could thrive with only one blue-collar breadwinner. Our schools taught skills that were useful instead of gibberish. Our mass media was mostly honest/accurate & there were serious repercussions when they deliberately weren't. Americans overwhelmingly were happy, law-abiding & productive & didn't need a myriad of psych meds to cope with their existence. We went to the moon. We honored mothers and fathers. Each generation had it better than the last. We lived within our means. We dreamed BIG.

Then the baby boomers came along & decided degeneracy, anarchy, welfare, psych meds, narcissism & hedonism was the answer to every problem.

Well you can say it over and over again, you can sit in your echo chamber until the cows come home, but LOOK AROUND, it just ain't so.

Posted Image

"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

95 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 94 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. PeterAlan