BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#13681 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-September-17, 21:44

View Posty66, on 2019-September-17, 20:26, said:

$10 says you can't resist replying to the troll in question for 30 days.

How about a cold drink? I hate to take all your cash. :)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#13682 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-18, 03:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-September-17, 17:34, said:

I agree except what is really needed is a Democratic senate - a more difficult assignmnet.

It's not just about Kavanaugh. There are a number of justices that will retire or possibly die in the next 9+ years.

Thomas is 71
Ginsburg is 86
Breyer is 81
Alito is 69
Sotamayor is 65
Roberts is 64

All have reached an age where many ordinary people have been been retired for years. They'll be 8-9 years older in the next 2 presidential terms.

Kagan is 59
Gorsuch is 52
Kavanaugh is 54

are relatively young and would be expected to serve several more presidential terms than their older colleagues.

True, you may expect Moscow Mitch to obstruct the confirmation of a Democratically nominated Supreme in the last year of a presidential term. But 2 years? If he did that, there would be absolute warfare when the Democrats take back the Senate.

#13683 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-18, 07:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-September-17, 21:44, said:

How about a cold drink? I hate to take all your cash. :)

Okay. A beverage of choice the next time I'm in Oklahoma or you're in DC.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#13684 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-18, 12:55

View Posty66, on 2019-September-18, 07:24, said:

Good plan. For example, at the Trump Hotel in D.C you can get a Smoke and Moss for $45. Plus tax and tip, I assume.

S and M: glenmorangie lasanta, glenmorangie nectar d’or, cocchi americanocarpano antica formula, ardbeg 10 mist
I have no idea what it means. Not another name for a gin and tonic, I assume.
Ken

#13685 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-September-18, 13:06

View Postkenberg, on 2019-September-18, 12:55, said:

Good plan. For example, at the Trump Hotel in D.C you can get a Smoke and Moss for $45. Plus tax and tip, I assume.

S and M: glenmorangie lasanta, glenmorangie nectar d’or, cocchi americanocarpano antica formula, ardbeg 10 mist
I have no idea what it means. Not another name for a gin and tonic, I assume.

Although my brother and my sister-in-law live just outside DC in Maryland, I don't plan on visiting DC until the current regime is gone - I don't want to catch anything.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#13686 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-September-18, 13:10

View Posty66, on 2019-September-18, 07:24, said:

September is great time to visit Tulsa - take today, it is only going to be 94 degrees but because no one here believes climate change is real the heat index is only going to make it feel like 102.

#13687 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-September-18, 13:18

This is simply a comment from the emptywheel.net website but it struck me as compelling so I'm sharing some of it:

Robert Britton Jrsays:
September 18, 2019 at 12:44 pm

I worked as a Director of IT in Healthcare. Once for a Nursing home management firm. Once for a Home Care firm. And once for a non-profit / state wide Women’s health organization. I worked to implement all aspects of things: From Medical Billing, to EMR, to business processes, A/R Management, et al. I’m not an industry expert. But I’ve been inside the systems of these types of medical providers.

What was eye-opening was the consistent goal of PROFIT MAXIMIZATION and COST MINIMIZATION. Patient Care was at the bottom of the rung.

This is the root issue with health care costs: GREED, plain and simple.

I participated in numerous board/director level conversations where the goal was to get staff to increase the services rendered so as to maximize revenue and income. If a P/T patient who just had a knee surgery only needed a couple P/T visits…heck with that. BILL THE MAX! Change the forms to reflect that there’s a deeper, longer term need. Same with O/T. Run the tests! BILL BILL BILL!

One firm had a “personal pay” rate that seemed to more fairly charge appropriate fees when individuals had to pay out of pocket. But with any insurance provider, whether private, or Medicaid/Medicare, the goal was to UPSIZE THE CHARGE: Maximum billing.

GREED is the problem of so much in not just healthcare, but in private and public providers (payers/insurers) so many other aspects of healthcare.

Minimizing the profiteers by moving towards MEDICARE FOR ALL is a HUGE step in the right direction, IMHO.

Note: PT=physical therapy. OT=occupational therapy

#13688 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-18, 16:31

Nothing more than a very amusing news headline

'THE FIRST FAMILY IS VERY ACTIVE IN WATER SPORTS'

If you aren't familiar with the details of the Steele dossier, you won't get the headline.

#13689 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-September-19, 17:33

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-September-17, 11:10, said:

Your ignorance, biases, and lack of critical thinking skills I find too trying with which to bother. I will help you overcome your ignorance this one last time.

First, Kavanaugh under oath at his confirmation hearing categorically denied engaging in any sexually inappropriate behavior. He also denied that he drank excessively. Either of these would be enough to impeach if shown he knowingly lied about any sexually inappropriate behavior or any excessive drinking, including the new claim by the witness, Max Stier.

Second, the issue from the NYT is not the girl but that a reliable witness, Max Stier, claimed he witnessed Kavanaugh engaged in lewd behavior. That the girl says she doesn't remember has no bearing whatsoever on what Max Stier says he witnessed.

Again, no one knows for sure what happened. The FBI were not allowed to investigate thoroughly. That you exonerate Kavanaugh without question says way more about you than it does about the NYT, the girl in question, or Max Stier.

At the least, a critical thinker should be curious as to what the reality is about Kavanaugh.

Best of luck with your cancer - from a retired hospice nurse. Now back to your regularly scheduled brainwashing programming.

First of all, if the alleged victim can't even remember the incident and didn't want to come forth. That's a major problem for any "I saw" claims by a "reliable" witness. The alleged incident would surely make an impression of the victim. Third party claims need lots of confirmation if they are to be believed.

So, there are a lot of questions that the so-called witness needs to answer before one should accept his allegations:

When and where did this occur?

At this drunken frat party, what was the state of sobriety of the witness? It's been my personal observation that virtually no one at such parties was ever completely sober. So, if the witness wasn't completely sober then it's hard to put a lot of credence into any claims.

And, it's perfectly reasonable, to question how valid someone's memories of events from 35+ years ago are. The only way it wouldn't would be if the individual was one of those people with complete recall who are capable of recalling every thing they've done in their life.

That's looking at the situation critically.

But, hey, you're willing to accept any allegation about Kavanaugh as true because of politics. That makes you a locked mind progessive zealot. Certainly the constant stream of like minded extremely critical BS (opinion pieces, etc.) of President Trump you post doesn't reflect a discerning mind. And you look pretty small to me with the way you demean people you disagree with childish nicknames. I don't despise or hate you just recognize the whole schtick you have to put forward to salve your ego.

#13690 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-19, 18:02

View Postjohnu, on 2019-September-18, 16:31, said:

blah blah blah ... Last progressive post ... blah blah blah

Found it very strange there are no new progressive posts in this thread for over a day now.

Might this be because the self anointed progressive king (look North) is in trouble?

No interesting NYT/WaPo/Vox/Slate/HuffPost articles about JT?
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#13691 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 18:04

View Postrmnka447, on 2019-September-19, 17:33, said:

First of all, if the alleged victim can't even remember the incident and didn't want to come forth. That's a major problem for any "I saw" claims by a "reliable" witness. The alleged incident would surely make an impression of the victim. Third party claims need lots of confirmation if they are to be believed.

So, there are a lot of questions that the so-called witness needs to answer before one should accept his allegations:

When and where did this occur?

At this drunken frat party, what was the state of sobriety of the witness? It's been my personal observation that virtually no one at such parties was ever completely sober. So, if the witness wasn't completely sober then it's hard to put a lot of credence into any claims.

And, it's perfectly reasonable, to question how valid someone's memories of events from 35+ years ago are. The only way it wouldn't would be if the individual was one of those people with complete recall who are capable of recalling every thing they've done in their life.

That's looking at the situation critically.

But, hey, you're willing to accept any allegation about Kavanaugh as true because of politics. That makes you a locked mind progessive zealot. Certainly the constant stream of like minded extremely critical BS (opinion pieces, etc.) of President Trump you post doesn't reflect a discerning mind. And you look pretty small to me with the way you demean people you disagree with childish nicknames. I don't despise or hate you just recognize the whole schtick you have to put forward to salve your ego.

The recent fiasco at the New York Times, which last weekend published the latest uncorroborated sexual assault accusation against Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, was a monument to hearsay and a travesty of journalistic ethics.

#13692 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2019-September-19, 18:51

View Postandrei, on 2019-September-19, 18:02, said:

Found it very strange there are no new progressive posts in this thread for over a day now.

Might this be because the self anointed progressive king (look North) is in trouble?

No interesting NYT/WaPo/Vox/Slate/HuffPost articles about JT?

NYT: New Video Surfaces Showing Trudeau in Blackface, Compounding Scandal
NYT: Brownface, Blackface and About-Face. Is Trudeau Who He Says He Is?
WaPo: ‘This thing is a wildfire’: Trudeau apologizes again as campaign reels from racist makeup revelations
WaPo: Third incident of Canadian PM Justin Trudeau in racist makeup emerges
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#13693 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 20:42

View Postandrei, on 2019-September-19, 18:02, said:

Moderator - andrei is literally begging for a participation award. Please award him one or he may start to cry.

andrei - In case you don't know, Canada is not part of the USA. A difficult concept to understand for some people I'm sure, but take it is a fact that this is true. I know that you are confused by the Fake News, but maybe in this case you could make an exception and actually do some research if you are unable to take my word for this. In case you are confused about where to find Canada on a map, it is right next to Greenland. And no, Greenland is not going to be the next US territory.

I also claim that the title of this thread is "Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped?". If you want to dispute this, look at the title "Replying to Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped?" in the red bar above the discussion, or the hierarchy of threads above that. Beyond that, I have no proof about what this topic is about :rolleyes: Now, here is where it is going to get very difficult for you.

1) Trudeau is the Prime Minister of Canada, not the USA
2) Trudeau doesn't really have anything to do with Putin's Puppet except in official government activities
3) Therefore, Trudeau doesn't have anything to do with this topic.

#13694 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 20:55

The Traitor in Chief is up to his neck in trying to cover up his traitorous behaviour.

Whistleblower Complaint Against Trump Reportedly Involves Ukraine

The Post first reported on an intelligence official’s complaint on Wednesday, writing that the official approached Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson with claims that Trump had made troubling “promises” during communication with a foreign leader.

The Times then reported Thursday that the whistleblower’s complaint involves additional incidents about Trump.

The White House (i.e The Manchurian President), reportedly is actively trying to suppress the whistleblower's complaint from being reported to the House oversight committee which is required by law. The Grifter in Chief's government paid personal attorney is subverting the DOJ in also trying to suppress the whistleblower's complaint from being reported to Congress.

I just call this Article 205 (or are we into the 300's already) in the articles of impeachment that are being written up by the House.

#13695 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-September-20, 03:58

Speaking for myself, I think that Trudeau has made a bunch of bad choices. However, the decision to wear brownface seems relatively minor compared to some of the real scandals.

The NYT has a good article documenting what's going on up North
https://www.nytimes....ace-canada.html

I am paying far more attention to escalating fight over the Whistleblower issues:

I am curious how the MAGA contingent would feel if it turns out to be true that Trump tried to make foreign aid contingent on the Ukrainian government launching a investigation into family members of his political rivals....
Alderaan delenda est

#13696 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2019-September-20, 06:34

I have never understood why an adult would want to wear blackface (I didn't do it when I was 8 either), but when someone is found to have done so I think something like "I apologize, I just wasn't thinking" should suffice. Maria Callas dressed as a gypsy for Carmen. Of course her role was as a gypsy, but it was a stereotypical gypsy role. So do we have to stop performing Carmen? Maybe so, but really I hope not. Intent matters, at least some. Carmen was considered scandalous when it was first performed but not because of its insensitivity to Roma culture. I once took a date to a Halloween party who was dressed as a rather provocative cat. No disrespect to cats was intended. I realize that cats don't mind and people do mind, but a toga party (I have never been to one) is not meant as disrespect for Romans, either historically or modern.

So respect for other cultures is good, blackface seems, and to me always has seemed, really stupid but I think an apology, an acknowledgment of error, should suffice for us to then move on. And I don't know what should be done about Carmen, but I really like the music.
Ken

#13697 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-20, 07:23

View Postkenberg, on 2019-September-20, 06:34, said:

I have never understood why an adult would want to wear blackface (I didn't do it when I was 8 either), but when someone is found to have done so I think something like "I apologize, I just wasn't thinking" should suffice. Maria Callas dressed as a gypsy for Carmen. Of course her role was as a gypsy, but it was a stereotypical gypsy role. So do we have to stop performing Carmen? Maybe so, but really I hope not. Intent matters, at least some. Carmen was considered scandalous when it was first performed but not because of its insensitivity to Roma culture. I once took a date to a Halloween party who was dressed as a rather provocative cat. No disrespect to cats was intended. I realize that cats don't mind and people do mind, but a toga party (I have never been to one) is not meant as disrespect for Romans, either historically or modern.

So respect for other cultures is good, blackface seems, and to me always has seemed, really stupid but I think an apology, an acknowledgment of error, should suffice for us to then move on. And I don't know what should be done about Carmen, but I really like the music.

I've never done blackface and never would (a full beard makes it too messy) BUT:

Is there anything wrong with going to a fancy dress party as a figure from another culture ? And if you're going to do that, are you not supposed to adjust your skin tone to fit ?

To me there's a big difference between the https://en.wikipedia...iki/Zwarte_Piet type blackface and impersonating a particular poc.

#13698 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-20, 07:40

View PostPassedOut, on 2019-September-19, 18:51, said:

That's more like it.
Now the people around here can get up-to-date with the latest news.
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#13699 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-20, 07:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-September-20, 03:58, said:

I am curious how the MAGA contingent would feel if it turns out to be true that Trump tried to make foreign aid contingent on the Ukrainian government launching a investigation into family members of his political rivals....

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-September-17, 08:05, said:

If this is accurate, it is a damning assessment of the investigation into Kavanaugh. From the WaPo editorial board:

View Postkenberg, on 2019-September-11, 14:26, said:

And if the stories about Ross are true, he needs to go. Working for Trump is a very destructive experience, Ross wasn't up for it, too bad, but he wasn't. It's my understanding that fewer and fewer people are willing to work for Trump, I cannot imagine why anyone would.

The expression of the week here.

View Postjohnu, on 2019-September-19, 20:55, said:

The Traitor in Chief is up to his neck in trying to cover up his traitorous behaviour.

Whistleblower Complaint Against Trump Reportedly Involves Ukraine

Not for John though.
He has not doubts.
He knows everything.

Tell us John: what/when/with whom was discussed?

#13700 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2019-September-20, 08:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-20, 07:23, said:

I've never done blackface and never would (a full beard makes it too messy) BUT:

Is there anything wrong with going to a fancy dress party as a figure from another culture ? And if you're going to do that, are you not supposed to adjust your skin tone to fit ?

To me there's a big difference between the https://en.wikipedia...iki/Zwarte_Piet type blackface and impersonating a particular poc.

In theory, probably nothing wrong with playing at another culture, in practice, yes, or usually so. I grew up in the 1940s and 50s and I remember some of the movies. Wikipedia quotes Butterfly McQueen:

"I didn't mind playing a maid the first time, because I thought that was how you got into the business. But after I did the same thing over and over, I resented it. I didn't mind being funny, but I didn't like being stupid

Turner Classic Movies had Stormy Weather on recently. It's an all black cast but the writers were white. It is often spoken of respectfully, again going to the Wik we see "The film is considered one of the best Hollywood musicals with an African-American cast". God help us if that is so. Great dancing and like many movies with dancing and singing the script is pathetic, but in this it is also demeaning.

The history of such portrayals is such that any person with any sense at all should have no problem steering clear of blackface portrayals. There is just too much history for it to be ignored, it is completely predictable that offense would be taken even when none is intended. But I do think "I wasn't thinking, I apologize", if said honestly, should suffice.

Ken

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

74 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 74 guests, 0 anonymous users