• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confederate statues My view

#121 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-25, 09:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-24, 18:22, said:

I find it repugnant that it bothers you more when some posters call out a racist for being racist, rather than the racist post itself. Are you even reading the stuff you're defending or you just switch to personal attack mode as soon as you see hrothgar posting?

Wondering, are you even reading the stuff your are defending?
These childish insults/taunts qualify as a "call out" nowadays?

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-19, 06:40, said:

No, you worthless neo Confederate piece of *****

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-24, 16:09, said:

And I feel that years of having everyone ridicule your ridiculous proposals about a world wide standard system have turned you into a bitter little troll...

(Well, either that or incipient dementia)

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-24, 16:27, said:

Nigel spent year arguing that every in the world should adopt a uniform bidding system.
He was mocked through out.

Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#122 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-25, 10:22

context matters, andrei.
OK
bed

#123 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-August-25, 13:12

View Postmike777, on 2017-August-24, 22:03, said:

Winston to answer your first question...no it is secession....you don't seem to know that

In response to your main point....I remain....if you and your local community wish to remove them...fine.....Winston you argue only against yourself.....when it comes to your local statues.

I note in my local area...the south.....btw I am from the north.

1) today I learn we have a local street called stonewall.....it is a short street near uptown....I only know it because a great local theatre company is located there. I had no idea where the name came from or ever cared.....Today it is front page news in our local mayor race....who knew....change the name out of outrage....btw the Nazi or KKK never marched there. fwiw when I think stonewall and theatre....I think NYC gay riots but that is just me....

2) I find out our local state univ has a statue, a long time statue.... called silent sam...who knew......it is now the center of tear it down protesters, legal debates.....massive police protection.......silly........

kkk no....Nazis.......no.......white racists crackers...no.........I remain to see the so called evidence.....in these two examples....but in any case if locals want to tear it down....I don't really care....I grew up in the Land of Lincoln......revered Lincoln....

As usual when I find myself uncertain of my knowledge I investigate the facts:(emphasis added)

Theresa May says that “now is not the time” for a Scottish independence referendum. Who gets to decide when the right time for a vote is?

A legal referendum

The UK government thinks that the UK parliament has to pass a law before a referendum can legally be held. That’s because the Scottish parliament’s powers to pass laws are limited when it comes to, among other things, “the Union of the Kingdoms of Scotland and England”.

This has been disputed by some legal academics, who argue that the Scottish parliament might have the power to call a referendum. The Scottish government also argued as much in 2012.

Only the courts can ultimately decide who’s right, as the House of Lords Constitution Committee noted in 2012 (although it agreed with the UK government).

The courts didn’t need to get involved last time around, because the UK and Scottish governments agreed to put the legal situation beyond doubt. This was achieved by a ‘section 30 order’ (referring to section 30 of the Scotland Act 1998) that temporarily lifted any restriction on the Scottish parliament’s power to arrange a referendum.

That order was approved by both the UK and Scottish parliaments.

So, yes, the referendum vote to leave the U.K. was legal and approved by both sides - hardly a fitting comparison to the seceding of states that led to the U.S. Civil War. A more fitting comparison would be that after the failed referendum vote, Scotland announced they were seceding anyway and defend themselves militarily.

Btw, the latter would be the same thinking that seems to be leading Donald Trump to consider a pardon for Joe Arpaio - that it is O.K. to overturn the rule of law when you don't like the results.

If I am incorrect about the Scottish referendum I would certainly like to hear the details so I won't remain confused.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#124 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-25, 14:16

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-24, 18:22, said:

I find it repugnant that it bothers you more when some posters call out a racist for being racist, rather than the racist post itself. Are you even reading the stuff you're defending or you just switch to personal attack mode as soon as you see hrothgar posting?

I defend the right to hold an unpopular opinion, not the opinion itself.
Views, with which we disagree, are basic to discussion groups: we try to refute them.

IMO, a personal attack (such as labelling your opponent as decrepit, demented, a racist, a troll, a piece of *****, or whatever) is a different matter.
I doesn't invalidate your opponent's view.

Instead, It sidetracks discussion, rendering rational debate difficult.
That, too, is just my opinion.

#125 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 15:29

Sorry Nigel, you defend the right to make a racist post but not the right to point out that it is racist? That is just wrong. You are however right that personal attacks are often made to shut down debate. Presumably you think this is what I was doing in #88 and #92 - I would have thought you knew me better by now.

So please do me a favour - go back and read the relevant post (#83) and post whether you think it is racist or not. Your honest opinion.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#126 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2017-August-25, 16:24

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-August-25, 15:29, said:

Sorry Nigel, you defend the right to make a racist post but not the right to point out that it is racist? That is just wrong. You are however right that personal attacks are often made to shut down debate. Presumably you think this is what I was doing in #88 and #92 - I would have thought you knew me better by now. So please do me a favour - go back and read the relevant post (#83) and post whether you think it is racist or not. Your honest opinion.

View PostChas_P, on 2017-August-23, 18:45, said:

I understand all that. But my original question remains: How will the lives of black Americans be improved by tearing down Confederate monuments...or any other monument for that matter? I've read that The Reverend Al Sharpton considers the Jefferson Memorial "an insult to my family". If we take them all down will blacks instantaneously be free to stop murdering each other in Chicago? Will they be free to stop making babies they can't support? Will they be free to have households that include both a mother and a father? Will they be free to graduate from high school or trade school and find a decent job? Or will they just be free to start another hysterical "movement" and raise hell about that? And please note.......I am not condemning just blacks here. There are plenty of whites with the same shortcomings. I don't have much use for them either.

I understand why Zelandakh judges Chas_P's argument to be racist.
And I defend his right to say so.
Diana-Eva (and others) labelled Chas_P a racist (among other things) despite his denials.
I disapprove of labelling posters that way.
Although several previous posters have been so-labelled. :(
Chas_P criticises murderers, the unqualified, and single-parents.
Unfairly, IMO, but regardless of race.
And I've repeatedly written that I disagree with such views.

#127 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-25, 16:36

View Postnige1, on 2017-August-25, 16:24, said:

Diana-Eva and others labelled Chas_P a racist, despite his denials.
I can understand why Zelandakh considers Chas_P's views to be racist.
He criticises murderers, the unqualifed, and single-parents.
Unfairly, IMO, but regardless of race.
And I've repeatedly said that I disagree with such views.
Several previous posters have been labelled as racists :(

It's exactly this sort of argument that I can't understand from you, Nigel. You're so blinded by your robin-hood mission or whatever you think you are doing that you go out of your way to find excuses and explanations where there are none.

You do have a point about the personal attacks, but when you frame your indignation as if some poor helpless neo-nazi or racist is being harassed just because he has a non-mainstream view it makes me really mad.

Report both chas_p's post and the subsequent attacks and I would have absolutely no problem to discuss it with other admins and take a decision. But you can't defend the racist post and complain about the attacks on it, it's absurd.

#128 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2017-August-25, 17:01

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-25, 16:36, said:

It's exactly this sort of argument that I can't understand from you, Nigel. You're so blinded by your robin-hood mission or whatever you think you are doing that you go out of your way to find excuses and explanations where there are none.
You do have a point about the personal attacks, but when you frame your indignation as if some poor helpless neo-nazi or racist is being harassed just because he has a non-mainstream view it makes me really mad.
Report both chas_p's post and the subsequent attacks and I would have absolutely no problem to discuss it with other admins and take a decision. But you can't defend the racist post and complain about the attacks on it, it's absurd.

Not just a racist?
But also a neo_Nazi!
No wonder we fail to understand each other :(
BTW, Chas_P is not the only poster insulted.
I don't report posts :)

#129 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 17:32

diana, speaking of admins, i can't help but notice chas is listed in the "yellows" group. maybe i don't know the role of yellows, but it doesnt make much sense to me.

nigel, stop derailing our discussion. if you have nothing to contribute except some obnoxious finger wagging, you are the problem rather than the social justice warrior your perceive yourself to be. thanks.
OK
bed

#130 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2017-August-25, 17:37

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-August-25, 17:32, said:

nigel, stop derailing our discussion. if you have nothing to contribute except some obnoxious finger wagging, you are the problem rather than the social justice warrior your perceive yourself to be. thanks.

My arguments addressed the statue issue. Ad hominem attacks by others derailed the discussion.

#131 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 18:36

The world will little note nor long remember what we say here. I have read these forums for many years and the only truly sane posts I have read have come from Ken Berg...a retired mathematics professor at the University of Maryland whom I've never met (but would like to). With that said, let me elaborate a little on my original thoughts in this thread. The point I was trying to make is that no matter how many marches are organized, no matter how much hell is raised, no matter how many memorials are demanded to be taken down, the "plight" of many African-Americans will not be alleviated until someone (BLM, Antifa, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, whomever) makes an effort to address the underlying problem...lack of education, unwanted pregnancy, unemployment, etc. My comments about "bad" white folks was intended for the KKK, Nazis, Skinheads, whatever they wish to call themselves. They are no better than (and probably worse than) BLM, Antifa, etc....nothing more than rabble rousers. I hope this clarifies my position which...like yours...is nothing more than musings on an internet forum. With all that said I bid you all a fond farewell. I won't be back here.

#132 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-25, 19:17

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-August-25, 13:12, said:

As usual when I find myself uncertain of my knowledge I investigate the facts:(emphasis added)

So, yes, the referendum vote to leave the U.K. was legal and approved by both sides - hardly a fitting comparison to the seceding of states that led to the U.S. Civil War. A more fitting comparison would be that after the failed referendum vote, Scotland announced they were seceding anyway and defend themselves militarily.

Btw, the latter would be the same thinking that seems to be leading Donald Trump to consider a pardon for Joe Arpaio - that it is O.K. to overturn the rule of law when you don't like the results.

If I am incorrect about the Scottish referendum I would certainly like to hear the details so I won't remain confused.

An interesting discussion regarding Scotland.

I note that the southern states also voted to leave, the northern states said no. In any case both are seceding. You just don't call the scots traitors.....you call Lee a traitor ...fair enough..you don't seem to realize you are making up the rulesregarding traitors as you go along....fair enough...

It may help to recall history....even history in our lifetimes how countries borders change, large changes.

Which raises the interesting point, if a state, lets say calif....then Oregon and Wash vote to leave the union because they cannot stand trump....should we allow them to go....or force them to choose violence....to leave.....which I for one would think is unfortunate, very unfortunate...I would rather say goodby and thanks for all the fish.
d

#133 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 19:22

View Postmike777, on 2017-August-25, 19:17, said:

I note that the southern states also voted to leave, the northern states said no. In any case both are seceding. You just don't call the scots traitors.....you call Lee a traitor ...fair enough..

Which raises the interesting point, if a state, lets say calif....then Oregon and Wash vote to leave the union because they cannot stand trump....should we allow them to go....or force them to choose violence....to leave.....which I for one would think is unfortunate, very unfortunate...I would rather say goodby and thanks for all the fish.

I suspect the only winners in such a scenario would be the lawyers.
OK
bed

#134 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-August-25, 20:21

View Postmike777, on 2017-August-25, 19:17, said:

I note that the southern states also voted to leave, the northern states said no. In any case both are seceding. You just don't call the scots traitors.....you call Lee a traitor ...fair enough..you don't seem to realize you are making up the rulesregarding traitors as you go along....fair enough...

It may help to recall history....even history in our lifetimes how countries borders change, large changes.

d

Mike, I'm not making up the rules. The courts and the U.S. constitution did that. Scotland and GB worked out a mutual legal agreement. The U.S. Constitution made warring by a U.S. person against the U.S. the crime of treason.

How am I making up the rules? It seems to me you want to declare secession legal - thereby making up your own rules.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#135 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-25, 20:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-August-25, 20:21, said:

Mike, I'm not making up the rules. The courts and the U.S. constitution did that. Scotland and GB worked out a mutual legal agreement. The U.S. Constitution made warring by a U.S. person against the U.S. the crime of treason.

btw I agree that is my logic...

How am I making up the rules? It seems to me you want to declare secession legal - thereby making up your own rules.

agree that violence against the usa is treasonous......the north gave the south no choice.....the north could have said ty for all the fish and goodbye....

Indeed you do make up the rule that Scotland wanting to leave means that what the Scottish people do is not treason...what the south did is treason.....anyway

Inany case you really do sound like a lawyer when it comes to secession, which of course misses the point...at that point we are all beyond lawyers....we are discussing a fundamental failure of the law,,a massive failure of the institutions of government.....

trea·son
[ˈtrēzən]

NOUN
the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government:
"they were convicted of treason"
synonyms: treachery · disloyalty · betrayal · faithlessness · sedition · subversion · mutiny · rebellion · high treason · lèse-majesté · apostasy · perfidy
the action of betraying someone or something:
"doubt is the ultimate treason against faith"
synonyms: treachery · disloyalty · betrayal · faithlessness · sedition · subversion · mutiny · rebellion · high treason · lèse-majesté · apostasy · perfidy
historical
the crime of murdering someone to whom the murderer owed allegiance, such as a master or husband.

https://www.bing.com...S&setlang=en-US

#136 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-August-25, 21:55

View Postmike777, on 2017-August-25, 20:39, said:

agree that violence against the usa is treasonous......the north gave the south no choice.....the north could have said ty for all the fish and goodbye....

Indeed you do make up the rule that Scotland wanting to leave means that what the Scottish people do is not treason...what the south did is treason.....anyway

Inany case you really do sound like a lawyer when it comes to secession, which of course misses the point...at that point we are all beyond lawyers....we are discussing a fundamental failure of the law,,a massive failure of the institutions of government.....

trea·son
[ˈtrēzən]

NOUN
the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government:
"they were convicted of treason"
the action of betraying someone or something:
"doubt is the ultimate treason against faith"
historical
the crime of murdering someone to whom the murderer owed allegiance, such as a master or husband.

https://www.bing.com...S&setlang=en-US

Mike,

I only presume we operate under the rule of law. If not....then....jungle rules.

#137 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 06:28

View PostChas_P, on 2017-August-25, 18:36, said:

The world will little note nor long remember what we say here. I have read these forums for many years and the only truly sane posts I have read have come from Ken Berg...a retired mathematics professor at the University of Maryland whom I've never met (but would like to). With that said, let me elaborate a little on my original thoughts in this thread. The point I was trying to make is that no matter how many marches are organized, no matter how much hell is raised, no matter how many memorials are demanded to be taken down, the "plight" of many African-Americans will not be alleviated until someone (BLM, Antifa, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, whomever) makes an effort to address the underlying problem...lack of education, unwanted pregnancy, unemployment, etc. My comments about "bad" white folks was intended for the KKK, Nazis, Skinheads, whatever they wish to call themselves. They are no better than (and probably worse than) BLM, Antifa, etc....nothing more than rabble rousers. I hope this clarifies my position which...like yours...is nothing more than musings on an internet forum. With all that said I bid you all a fond farewell. I won't be back here.

Chas,

I never said the "r" word to you; however, at every point in this dialogue I challenged your proposition that these statues and flags don't matter or are irrelevant.

The Georgia flag has been sowing seeds of division since 1956 and Georgia refuses to let go of its Confederate ties because the African-American (and other people of color) were an "element" and/or "problem" of the South. So Old Dixie created a social order that treated the "Negro" as an element that needed paternalistic guidance and treatment. There is a reason most African-American men were called "Boy!" in the South; it was a reminder of their subservient status as they were not men--even if the Supreme Court declared they were no longer chattel property. The euphemism "boy" to a colored man was not a term of endearment but a reminder of the caste system and his subservient place in the established customs and mores of the South.

Also, I agree that African-Americans need to make sure they avail themselves of any and all educational and vocational opportunities for upward mobility and financial security. However, in return, I request that the State of Georgia stop basing the funding of public education on property values since "the Negro" has missed out on about 170+ years of wealth building opportunities and has never seen any type of legitimate recompense for the seemingly inexhaustible supply of labor his ancestors supplied to fuel this nation's prosperity. Several public school systems in Black communities of Georgia are shamelessly underfunded since a lot of African-Americans don't have much property to support their school system's funding and overhead needs.

This is a vicious cycle and plays out in the quality of education that African-American children receive in Georgia. Programs and critical staff get cut and the children are left out in the cold to make ends meet in some creative way. Also, most of the communities outside of the metropolitan Atlanta area are rural and primarily white of several classes; therefore, there is very little political will to "right" this situation of funding for schools for African-Americans at the state level. See the 2016 red/blue Presidential election map below.

So, the solution is not as easy as you suggest. To stop the seemingly endless cycle of poverty plaguing African-Americans, we have to set the foundation for education funding correctly. The State of Georgia must stop playing racial political games with the funding of public schools that put African-American communities at a comparative disadvantage in terms of amenities, programs, staff, facilities, and resources.

Posted Image

Posted Image ==> 2016 Presidential Election Results by County

#138 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 12:27

EEE! Education is the Enemy of the Elite...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#139 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 13:06

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-August-26, 12:27, said:

EEE! Education is the Enemy of the Elite...

Yup.

In the matter of the State of Georgia, it is hot and messy:

Education Funding in Georgia: Years of Cuts Cast Long Shadow

Georgia is spending $11.6 billion on education in the 2017 fiscal year or about 51 percent of the state’s general fund budget. Spending on elementary and secondary education is $8.9 billion. The budget for the university system is $2.1 billion and is $350 million for technical colleges. The state’s 2017 budget allots the Georgia Student Finance Commission $91 million in non-lottery funds and $55.6 million to the Department of Early Care and Learning.

This constitutes a $640 million increase from 2016 and partially reverses years of deep cuts. This increase follows two years of modest bumps and reduces some of the financial pressure education leaders face but does not eliminate them.

Georgia ranks 38th in per-student funding for K-12 education, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and is home to the fifth most students in poverty as measured by participation in the federal free and reduced lunch program. Georgia spends $1,800 less per student than the national average despite the fact increased funding is connected to higher achievement, particularly for low-income students. Gov. Nathan Deal convened a commission to examine K-12 funding in 2015 proposed a formula intended to more effectively distribute state dollars to school districts. Equally important is whether the money allocated is sufficient to meet students’ needs and the state’s workforce development goals. These figures suggest it is not.

The state’s investment in higher education diminished over time leading to tuition hikes that price postsecondary programs beyond the reach of many students and complete them. Enrollment in technical colleges is down and student loan debt is climbing. These challenges will continue given the growing percentage of low-income students in K-12, the feeder system for postsecondary schools.

Elementary and Secondary Education: K-12 Funding Formula Short $166 Million

Georgia’s public school students are getting $166 million less in the 2017 fiscal year than called for in the state’s funding formula. This is a smaller shortfall than in previous years, but districts continue to face fiscal constraints as they work to bring class sizes back down, restore discontinued programs, eliminate teacher furlough days and raise teachers’ salaries. The General Assembly underfunded schools every year since 2003, cutting more than $9 billion from its Quality Basic Education formula over 15 years.

Yes y'all, cutting out a needed $9 BILLION dollars from education over 14 years. I guess we expect ALL students to achieve more while the state continues to cut corners on the public education and public feeding of its poorest students.

Source: https://gbpi.org/201...scal-year-2017/
Posted Image
Posted Image

#140 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-26, 20:02

View Postnige1, on 2017-August-25, 14:16, said:

MO, a personal attack (such as labelling your opponent as decrepit, demented, a racist, a troll, a piece of *****, or whatever) is a different matter.
I doesn't invalidate your opponent's view.

There's a big difference between calling someone a POS and calling them a racist. The former is simply a slur and attack based on personal opinions. The latter can be a valid conclusion based on objective analysis of the views they've expressed.

Of course, they're not necessarily unrelated. You may decide that someone is decrepit because they're a racist. But not always. Archie Bunker was a perfectly nice guy who happened to be a racist; we're more likely to pity someone like him for his archaic views than hate him.

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users