BBO Discussion Forums: My fault I guess but advice requested - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My fault I guess but advice requested

#21 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-April-14, 12:57

I put most of the blame with your partner for jumping to 6 over your 5 bid.

Your 5 bid has an inference that your partner missed even if you're playing 1 can show as few as 2 . It would be natural for you to bid your control over 4 if you had one. So your failure to do so essentially denies the K. That means there is a real possibility of a loser in the suit even possibly 2 losers if you hold 3 or more. Tied in with the potential for a loser, bidding 6 is a big gamble. It essentially puts cards in your hand that partner has no way of knowing whether they are there or not. If you don't have the K, then you almost have to have the Q and the K for the slam to have a good chance to make. That's just not good bidding.

#22 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-16, 10:09

View Postbilalz, on 2018-April-13, 05:41, said:

In my partner's defense, this was at our local club where we have a good chance to score an extra trick or two (which he duly did) and he is a very good player.

That's not a defence for overbidding - quite the contrary. If you can make an extra trick you will score a top when playing in game anyway.

(I think with a few simplifying assumptions a match point analysis shows that you should bid a slam when the room has a 50% chance of making 12 tricks, regardless of your own chances of making 12 tricks.)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users