Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Corrective Treatment? Lightner Double

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-09, 03:27

Do you pull to 7NT? Would it make any difference if the Double was alerted? Would it make any difference if you were the Secretary Bird, and you knew Blue Book 4B4(c) by heart: [alertable doubles] (c) Doubles or redoubles that are lead-directing but ask for the lead of a suit other than the suit doubled (or redoubled)?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-09, 03:59

(1) Yes, I pull to 7NT
(2) No it wouldn't make any difference if the double was alerted. I would certainly ask about the meaning of a double out of the blue like this if I felt it might be important for my decision, whether or not it was alerted (and even though I know the implications of the relevant part of the EBU regulations). I don't necessarily expect all my opponents to be completely clear on the alerting regulations here, and I can ask without causing other difficulties for my side in the auction.
(3) It follows from my answer to (2) that I think it is the SB's attitude to winning the game of law rather than the game of bridge that is relevant here, rather than precise knowledge of the Blue Book.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-09, 04:31

View PostWellSpyder, on 2018-May-09, 03:59, said:

(1) Yes, I pull to 7NT
(2) No it wouldn't make any difference if the double was alerted. I would certainly ask about the meaning of a double out of the blue like this if I felt it might be important for my decision, whether or not it was alerted (and even though I know the implications of the relevant part of the EBU regulations). I don't necessarily expect all my opponents to be completely clear on the alerting regulations here, and I can ask without causing other difficulties for my side in the auction.
(3) It follows from my answer to (2) that I think it is the SB's attitude to winning the game of law rather than the game of bridge that is relevant here, rather than precise knowledge of the Blue Book.

Annoyingly, SB passed, intending to get the pigs in if there were a heart ruff. Most unfairly, the Lightner Double was psychic, with QTxxx and SB did not need his second chance of winning in the AC when the heart was not ruffed. 7NT cannot make.

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-09, 04:45

View Postlamford, on 2018-May-09, 04:31, said:

Annoyingly, SB passed, intending to get the pigs in if there was a heart ruff. Most unfairly, the Lightner Double was psychic, with QTxxx and SB did not need his second chance of winning in the AC when the heart was not ruffed.

That does sound annoying! I suppose 7NT doesn't make? I guess East needs to train his partner to alert next time he (east) makes a psychic call! :)

#5 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-09, 04:55

Why did I jump to 7 in the first place? Did it promise all Kings?

AKJxxx and out would surely not have opened 1. A 7th or any Q will make 7NT cold.
I suppose partner could have AKJxxx,x,Jx,Jxxx, some would open 2 some would open 1.

I would've bid 5NT and pulled the 6 reply to 7. I hope P realizes that I always intended to bid to 7 regardless of any Kings in his hand.
That should (at least could) alert him to the fact that I am looking for a 13th trick for 7NT, without causing any harm (he will not bid anything that gives the possibility for a lead-directing X)

To the actual problem:
I would pull to 7NT, if E really has a -void, 7NT is cold anyway. Also P is quite likely to have a minor-suit Q or a 7th Spade. If E has J109x of I might make 7NT and not 7. AKxxxx,Qx,Qxx,xx has 13 toptricks.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-09, 05:54

View PostJanisW, on 2018-May-09, 04:55, said:

To the actual problem:
I would pull to 7NT, if E really has a -void, 7NT is cold anyway. Also P is quite likely to have a minor-suit Q or a 7th Spade. If E has J109x of I might make 7NT and not 7. AKxxxx,Qx,Qxx,xx has 13 toptricks.

Annoyingly, partner has AKJTxx x x T9xxx and thought this was a One Spade opener. The club guards are split, and the heart finesse is wrong, so 7NT fails!

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-10, 04:10

View PostWellSpyder, on 2018-May-09, 03:59, said:

I can ask without causing other difficulties for my side in the auction.

Except you may cause the opponents to realise it is an obvious lightner double, which the brain-dead oppo might not have twigged. I don't think you have any obligation to ask at all. "You are quite entitled to assume the call is not in an alertable category."

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-10, 05:45

View Postlamford, on 2018-May-10, 04:10, said:

Except you may cause the opponents to realise it is an obvious lightner double, which the brain-dead oppo might not have twigged. I don't think you have any obligation to ask at all. "You are quite entitled to assume the call is not in an alertable category."

It shouldn't in theory matter, but do my opps usually play under EBU rules ? If not I might be more inclined to cut them some slack.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-May-10, 06:50

Yes I would pull to 7 NT and no it would not make any difference to me whether they alerted the x or not.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-10, 10:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-10, 05:45, said:

It shouldn't in theory matter, but do my opps usually play under EBU rules ? If not I might be more inclined to cut them some slack.

It was the Spring Fours, but the pair would probably not have been aware that a lightner double was alertable in England. I think I would pull to 7NT as well, but I quite "liked" SB's idea of having two bites at the cherry. If they find a heart ruff, and 7NT would make, immediately cry foul!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users