BBO Discussion Forums: competing over short club or diamond - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

competing over short club or diamond please critique

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-12, 05:35

I would appreciate any comments, criticisms, or suggestions for enhancements on what Partner and I are starting to do over non-precision short Club or a short Diamond opening bids by LHO. So far it is working out.

Double is take-out
1NT overcall is 13-17 with all systems on..5332 hands with a 5 card Major fit in here

Thus, all other bids are capped at around 11 or 12 HCP

over 1C, 1D is yet to be defined (and open to ideas)

over 1C or over 1D:

1H shows 5+ Hearts; 4+ Spades.....most of the time, precisely 5-4, but could be very weak 5-5 depending upon colors
1S shows 5+ Spades; 4+ Hearts.....most of the time, precisely 5-4, but could be very weak 5-5 depending upon colors
1NT...13-17...no singleton or void
2C is a relay to 2D showing 5+ Diamonds or 5-5 in a Major and a Minor
2D tends to shows unbalanced hand, 5+ Hearts and is transfer
2H shows 5-5 in both Majors
2S tends to shows unbalanced hand, 5+ Spades
2NT is a relay to Clubs, showing 6+
3C shows 5-5 in the Minors....pass or correct
higher bids are pre-emptive

In the rare situation where LHO opens a short Club or short Diamond and it goes Pass-Pass -? the above is still 'on' for 4th bid

(All the 2-level bids are basically 'Hello' bids)

Thanks for anyone willing to look over.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-May-12, 06:05

Why does

View PostShugart23, on 2018-May-12, 05:35, said:

all other bids are capped at around 11 or 12 HCP

follow from

View PostShugart23, on 2018-May-12, 05:35, said:

Double is take-out
1NT overcall is 13-17 with all systems on..5332 hands with a 5 card Major fit in here

? Is it because the double is not classic takeout but also covers most 13+ hands with a singleton/void?

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 06:30

View Postnullve, on 2018-May-12, 06:05, said:

Why does

follow from

? Is it because the double is not classic takeout but also covers most 13+ hands with a singleton/void?

This is a work in progress, but yes...since the short Club or Diamond may have zero cards in the suit, our Double doesn't necessarily show shortness in Opener's suit as well.....Our Double also would pick up on hands having 18+ points as well.....

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 07:38

View PostShugart23, on 2018-May-12, 06:30, said:

This is a work in progress, but yes...since the short Club or Diamond may have zero cards in the suit, our Double doesn't necessarily show shortness in Opener's suit as well.....Our Double also would pick up on hands having 18+ points as well.....

Maybe you could play

(1)-X = 12-16 unBAL or 15-17 BAL (a Magic Diamond 1 opening)

and either

(1)-1 = 17+ unBAL OR 18+ BAL (a Magic Diamond 1 opening)

or

(1)-P = 0-7, any OR 17+ unBAL OR 18+ BAL (the Pass opening in Kungsgeten's Pass 2000, for example)

?

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-12, 08:59

There is a big difference between a short club or short diamond that promises 2+ and one that promises 0+.
If 2+ you don't really need to change your system. Sure over 1D can use 2D natural 2H NF mich and 3D strong Mich
and something similar if you want 2C cuebid to be natural.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 09:01

So with a 14 count and a 6 card major you have to double ? - vomits

#7 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-May-12, 09:23

I would try 1NT overcall for takeout promising short in the minor opened.

Double for takeout with 3,4-cards in the opened minor and better than minimum hand.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#8 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 10:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-12, 09:01, said:

So with a 14 count and a 6 card major you have to double ? - vomits

Yeah...this is definitely a problem....I may have misspoke when I said capped at 11 or 12...without that limitation.........I think with 6-4 in the Majors, I could overcall 1 of a Major and partner could cue-bid Opener to find out how good or bad the over-call was.....lacking a 4 card Major, perhaps 2D transfer to Hearts or bid natural 3H or 4H preempt if it feels right.....I need to see some of the other suggestions, because what I just said isn't really satisfying.

We really like the Hello system where we can show single suited or two suited hands, so I am trying to take advantage of that over short minor suit openings and use all the 1-level overcall bids to add to Hello capabilities...

#9 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 10:28

View PostPrecisionL, on 2018-May-12, 09:23, said:

I would try 1NT overcall for takeout promising short in the minor opened.

Double for takeout with 3,4-cards in the opened minor and better than minimum hand.

so would the Double also include all the 4-3-3-3 hands, say 13 + ?

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-12, 11:08

1N 13-17 seems to much of a disruption.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-May-12, 21:34

Shugart23 said:

so would the Double also include all the 4-3-3-3 hands, say 13 + ?

No, that hand is too weak with such flat distribution. I would prefer a good 15+ count.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#12 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-12, 22:38

dbl-usually 3 or 4 cards in each major, could be short either minor OR strong meanings of 17+
overcalls-natural, including the opponent's minor.
1N-good 14 to bad 18
2H-majors
Jump overcalls (including the opponent's minor)-preemptive
2N-majors, stronger

the dbl would usually be something like a weak NT

#13 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 05:05

I don't really understand the goals of this method. The approach seems to be to bid directly with weak distributional hands, but take it slower with "strong" hands? The double seems to show 13+ unbalanced (any shape) or 18+ NT? It has some similarities to "The Overcall Structure".

I think a normal 15-17 NT overcall is risky enough: third hand knows that her partner has opened, and can make a penalty double with values. By lowering to 13-17 you overcall with more hands, and are thus increasing this risk. Having a wide range on the NT overcall can make decisions harder if advancer should try for game or not.

If I understand correctly, your two level major overcalls (one being a transfer) is either 5M and 4+m, or 6+M? You have three bids to show both majors (1H, 1S, and 2H), which seems like a lot (but perhaps is a good idea). I personally think it is valuable being able to overcall with 1M on a lot of hands. Overcalling at the two-level is more preemptive, but it is also harder for you to find the right spot. A hand type which is unclear how you handle is 4M and 5+m, perhaps that could be the use of your 1D overcall?

You seem aware of the fact that 1m is seldom passed, but you do not include any kind of opening strength hand in your second hand pass. It can be risky to do so, but it is an option.

Some changes which I think would improve you structure:

Pass = Could be clubs which doesn't want to bid 2NT. Could be a weak NT, which can double for take-out (if it seems right) later.
Dbl = "Power double", 15+ hcp.
1D = 4M and 5+ minor.
1M = 5+ major.
1NT = Take-out of the suit they opened, about 10-14 hcp.
2D = 5+H and 4(+)S.
2M = Weakish.

Here's what I personally play (based on Woolsey's Grunt defense, with some modifications):

Pass = Could be a normal 1NT overcall.
Dbl = Take-out, at least 4-3 in the majors and at least 2 cards in the minor they didn't open. Could also be a hand too strong for a normal overcall.
1D = Natural. May be 5+D and 4M, even though we have the 1NT overcall, if the diamonds are strong and the major is weak.
1M = Natural.
1NT = 4M and 5+m.
2C = Natural.
2D = Weak with hearts, or constructive with 5-5 majors.
2H = Weak with both majors. At least 5-4 either way.
2S = Weak.
2NT = Constructive with 5-5 hearts + minor.
3m = Constructive, but limited, with 5-5 spades + the minor.

When they open 1D we do not have a bid to show diamonds, so we have to pass with that hand.

A tweak which I think could be nice is to make both 2m bids natural, since that sequence is pretty awkard for third seat. Then 1D could show both majors and 2H would be weak. I think that's less suited vs 1D openings though.

#14 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 06:46

View PostKungsgeten, on 2018-May-13, 05:05, said:

I think a normal 15-17 NT overcall is risky enough: third hand knows that her partner has opened, and can make a penalty double with values.

I've played (1)-1N as 14-16 BAL for a while and I still think the range is sound.

Having a wide range on the NT overcall can make decisions harder if advancer should try for game or not.

I don't understand why people use a 15-18 range instead of a 15-17 range, either.

#15 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 08:17

I don't really understand the goals of this method. The approach seems to be to bid directly with weak distributional hands, but take it slower with "strong" hands? The double seems to show 13+ unbalanced (any shape) or 18+ NT? It has some similarities to "The Overcall Structure".

I think a normal 15-17 NT overcall is risky enough: third hand knows that her partner has opened, and can make a penalty double with values. By lowering to 13-17 you overcall with more hands, and are thus increasing this risk. Having a wide range on the NT overcall can make decisions harder if advancer should try for game or not.

If I understand correctly, your two level major overcalls (one being a transfer) is either 5M and 4+m, or 6+M? You have three bids to show both majors (1H, 1S, and 2H), which seems like a lot (but perhaps is a good idea). I personally think it is valuable being able to overcall with 1M on a lot of hands. Overcalling at the two-level is more preemptive, but it is also harder for you to find the right spot. A hand type which is unclear how you handle is 4M and 5+m, perhaps that could be the use of your 1D overcall?

You seem aware of the fact that 1m is seldom passed, but you do not include any kind of opening strength hand in your second hand pass. It can be risky to do so, but it is an option.

Pass = Could be clubs which doesn't want to bid 2NT. Could be a weak NT, which can double for take-out (if it seems right) later.
1D = 4M and 5+ minor.
1M = 5+ major.
2D = 5+H and 4(+)S.
2M = Weakish.

Here's what I personally play (based on Woolsey's Grunt defense, with some modifications):

Dbl = Take-out, at least 4-3 in the majors and at least 2 cards in the minor they didn't open. Could also be a hand too strong for a normal overcall.
1D = Natural. May be 5+D and 4M, even though we have the 1NT overcall, if the diamonds are strong and the major is weak.
1M = Natural.
1NT = 4M and 5+m.
2C = Natural.
2S = Weak.

When they open 1D we do not have a bid to show diamonds, so we have to pass with that hand.

A tweak which I think could be nice is to make both 2m bids natural, since that sequence is pretty awkard for third seat. Then 1D could show both majors and 2H would be weak. I think that's less suited vs 1D openings though.

#16 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 08:56

1D = 4M and 5+ minor.
1M = 5+ major.
2D = 5+H and 4(+)S.
2M = Weakish.

1M = Natural.
1NT = 4M and 5+m.
2C = Natural.
2S = Weak.

Thanks Kungsgeten.....Nice response....Just three comments before I sit down and study it more in depth...

1) Regarding the goal of this method, here it is : "can I expand the Hello system Responses to also cover short Club and short Diamond openings with the extra room those two openings give me ?". Perhaps this is a fool's errand and I will abandon the idea ultimately....I have only been playing around with it for a few weeks.

Regarding the NT overcall range; I play 99% of my games in Matchpoint ( not Imps or Team games), so I don't mind the aggressive 1NT overcall and not particular afraid of the penalty double......been using 13-17 overcall range for a couple years now and I just haven't been hurt by the opponents with any great frequency...15-18 range or 15-17 range 1NT overcalls would seem to be pretty low probability occurrences...I think I read a long time ago, the odds of opening 1NT with 15-17 was somewhere around 15% (?). and the odds of overcalling 1NT given your RHO has already opened, would seemingly be even lower.....As an aside, playing Precision, a bid I liked a lot in Matchpoint was to open 1NT with 9-15 HCP in 3rd seat after 2 passes with favorable vulnerability, when no other bid seemed better---lots of tops here but wife didn't like the bid, so we stopped.

A couple people have mentioned 2nd hand Passing as a bid that could have multi-meanings.......I will think more on it.....

Thanks to everyone else as well....

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 09:17

We play 2nd hand passing then making a bid that would normally show openers suit does except in the UCB situation.

So 1(2+)-P-1-P-1N-? 2N would be the minors, 2 would be the blacks, X would be t/o of with clubs in the picture.

Do you modify your responses to the very wide range 1N, we used to play a wide range 1N opener and overcall and had to heavily modify them to make it work.

#18 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 09:44

Do you modify your responses to the very wide range 1N, we used to play a wide range 1N opener and overcall and had to heavily modify them to make it work

We used to play Precision with our NT range being 10-12/13 in 1st and 2nd seat and 13-15 (in 3rd or 4th seat)......we have been playing a version of Blue Team Club last 3 years and 1NT range is 13-15. We started with Rexford's MCIS system and put in our own tweaks.

When we had the 'crazy' 1NT opening using 9-15 HCP range (3rd seat white and them red), we had to bid naturally after that due to ACBL rules.....Our overcall range currently is 13-17 and we don't modify anything; all systems on including lebensohl

BTW, are there any other canapé bidders out there? Sometimes it would be nice to have discussion with them on topics.

#19 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 13:39

If you like the Hello-bids, and play canapé, then perhaps you can use the 1M overcalls as your opening bids:

(1m)-1M = 4M and longer side suit. Both majors possible.

#20 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-13, 13:41

View PostShugart23, on 2018-May-13, 09:44, said:

BTW, are there any other canapé bidders out there? Sometimes it would be nice to have discussion with them on topics.

Send a message to PrecisionL, he's a big canapé fan with a lot of experience and system knowledge.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users