BBO Discussion Forums: BBOalert : replacement of Full Disclosure tool - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

BBOalert : replacement of Full Disclosure tool

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-19, 07:04

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-April-19, 05:38, said:

- install BBOalert on Firefox for automatic updates. Technically, it should not be a problem to install and to use FF dedicated to BBOalert.

My feeling is that BBOalert will never have the success it deserves unless you move primary support to Chrome.

Browser Market Share
Chrome 67.72%
Firefox 8.49%
IE 6.97%
Edge 6.20%

Also many of that 67% are unwilling to give up Chrome even just for BBO, for some reason imaginary or real (I am addicted to the Bridge Solver extension, for instance).

#22 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2020-April-19, 23:08

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-April-19, 05:38, said:

I am pleased that you are satisfied with the BBOalert tool. It is for me the best reward.

I advise you to :
- install BBOalert on Firefox for automatic updates. Technically, it should not be a problem to install and to use FF dedicated to BBOalert.
- join the BBOalert users on Facebook : https://www.facebook...06384146770707/ to report issues. Concerning the issue with the 3rd seat, I need to simulate the situation. Please send me your BSS data file and the link to the deal (http://www.bridgebase.com/myhands/) where the error occurred. You can do it by mail stanmaz.git@gmail.com but I would prefer Facebook. This way other users will be informed. With the growing number of users it is the most efficient communication channel.

You do not have to shorten the explication text. In the new version 2.10 the chat message will be sent to the opponents automatically together with the alert. 2.10 will be released very soon.

Thanks for that. I dropped the .bss & exported text on the Facebook page.
Not clear how you are distinguishing seats &/or vul.
Working okay in Chrome, after ignoring the advice to disable.

#23 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-20, 09:20

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-19, 07:04, said:

My feeling is that BBOalert will never have the success it deserves unless you move primary support to Chrome.

Browser Market Share
Chrome 67.72%
Firefox 8.49%
IE 6.97%
Edge 6.20%

Also many of that 67% are unwilling to give up Chrome even just for BBO, for some reason imaginary or real (I am addicted to the Bridge Solver extension, for instance).

What you say about Chrome is correct. Chrome assures a better visibility and addresses a larger population of potential users. This gives an obvious commercial advantage. But BBOalert is not a commercial product. I created it to cover my personal needs and decided later to share it with others.

Compared to Chrome, Firefox offers an extreme short time to publish, needed to react immediately on bug reports and on urgent enhancements. New releases are available in the Firefox repository within minutes, whereas Google speaks about weeks necessary to review and to approve an extension.

After all, the user has to decide if BBOalert deserves an extra effort of installing a dedicated Firefox browser or to install it manually from the source or from a crx file on Chrome.

May I invite you to become a member of the BBOalert user group on Facebook :

https://www.facebook...06384146770707/

even if you are not directly intended to use BBOalert.

#24 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-April-21, 15:40

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-April-20, 09:20, said:

May I invite you to become a member of the BBOalert user group on Facebook :

https://www.facebook...06384146770707/

even if you are not directly intended to use BBOalert.

That is another sore spot as I have no intention of subscribing to Facebook B-)
But I recognise that is more of a minority position than addiction to Chrome.
I haven't made a decision not to use BBOalert, if my regular partner ever comes online I might do so.
Just wanted to mention that this is a factor in my decision and I think for many others too.

#25 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 03:30

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-21, 15:40, said:

That is another sore spot as I have no intention of subscribing to Facebook B-)
But I recognise that is more of a minority position than addiction to Chrome.
I haven't made a decision not to use BBOalert, if my regular partner ever comes online I might do so.
Just wanted to mention that this is a factor in my decision and I think for many others too.

BBOalert 2.10 is available In Chrome Web Store :

https://chrome.googl...ihaaljhjdaombni

#26 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-April-23, 04:02

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-April-23, 03:30, said:

BBOalert 2.10 is available In Chrome Web Store :

https://chrome.googl...ihaaljhjdaombni

Installed and ready to go (I just had to reboot to get the buttons).
Will try it this afternoon, thanks :)

#27 User is offline   SixOfWands 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-12, 18:12

Hi Stan, this is a brilliant idea. Problem is we play a Polish Club where the descriptions can be long, it's posting them automatically into the message screen for the table where my partner can also see them. Unfortunately this is breaking the rules and this is not allowed at bridge. How do I stop it doing this? The users can scroll the longer descriptions so it's not necessary to do this.

#28 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-13, 00:20

View PostSixOfWands, on 2020-July-12, 18:12, said:

Hi Stan, this is a brilliant idea. Problem is we play a Polish Club where the descriptions can be long, it's posting them automatically into the message screen for the table where my partner can also see them. Unfortunately this is breaking the rules and this is not allowed at bridge. How do I stop it doing this? The users can scroll the longer descriptions so it's not necessary to do this.

Select 'Opponents' and not 'Table' as chat destination. If you want to chat with the 'Table' from time to time, open the second chat channel : Messages Tab + Chat and select 'Table'

I would suggest you to join the BBOalert users on Facebook. It is the best place to ask any questions : https://www.facebook...06384146770707/

#29 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 19:51

It seems insane to me that alerts are not associated with a specific partner. Is there any way to at least limit bboalert to working with certain partners?

#30 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-February-23, 22:35

I twice installed it and then deleted it.

I played, I Alerted, and there was no visible change in the GUI for BBOAlert.

Is there some sort of user's manual so that I can at least understand what all the parts of the GUI actually mean and how to tell if anything is happening?

#31 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-February-24, 10:22

I don't understand it very well, but am playing with it.

Yes, you can put all your calls under an option - partner tag, and it will only be used for that partner. I think the author believes that 90% of your Alerts will be common, and you can take out the exceptions into the partner tags. As someone whose three main partnerships are:
  • K/S with two major conventions unplayed by anyone else he knows;
  • Pretty standard Flight A 2/1; and
  • Precision with variable NT (and variable NT system), asking bids, and Bergen
yeah, not so much. Separate files with include options would work better for me.

Yes, there is a manual (any of the author's posts here will have the link). Unfortunately to my reading, he thinks the UI is obvious, and 95% of it is "install", "learning mode", and "structure of the file". While all of that is necessary, the assumption is not correct.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#32 User is offline   TARIK 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-April-04, 09:11

Haven'T tried yet. But looks great. Well done indeed and thx for your efforts.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users