BBO Discussion Forums: Carbon offsets - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carbon offsets Do you offset your carbon emissions? Do offsets work?

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-02, 14:06

Global carbon emissions hit a record high in 2019.

According to a UN report from 2011, getting the planet to climate equilibrium would require that all of us limit our carbon emissions to 3 metric tons per year by 2050 which would be quite an achievement for U.S. consumers who emitted 16.1 metric tons per capita in 2018. In addition to rethinking the way we produce and consume energy, some argue that we need to invest in carbon sequestering strategies and population control.

I've been buying carbon offsets from atmosfair.de to offset air travel which my wife and I use a few times a year. We also contribute to a couple organizations that provide access to education and high-quality family planning to those who want it.

If you have constructive suggestions for offsetting carbon emissions, please emit them.

I see that emissions per capita are 4.8 metric tons in Switzerland. Maybe the U.S. should pay people to live there.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-02, 15:58

I don't know whether you have access to the BBC where you live, but our most respected and renowned natural historian David Attenborough made a special documentary about climate change. It certainly had an impact on me.

https://en.wikipedia...e_–_The_Facts

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-02, 16:12

View Posty66, on 2020-January-02, 14:06, said:

I see that emissions per capita are 4.8 metric tons in Switzerland. Maybe the U.S. should pay people to live there.

Switzerland is fortunate in that we have a massive amount of hydroelectric power available (rivers flowing from the Alps) which provides about 60% of our electricity. We also have a lot of nuclear power (which we're slowly phasing out) and an amazing public transit system. It's not clear that this is replicable in other countries (nor could we support a massive influx of immigrants).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-January-02, 16:29

Ezra Klein did a series of podcasts regarding climate change recently.

From my perspective, the most interesting was titled "How to solve climate change and make life more awesome"
Well worth a listen (not sure if I buy into everything that was suggested, but at the very least there were some provocative ideas)
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-08, 06:20

Hi,

#1 Do we Offset? No.
I could say, we produce electricity with solar Panels on our Roof top, do not own a car, and so on,
but we dont Offset.

#2 Does it work? My guess is yes, …, if Offset means planting more trees.
1 Billion add. Trees may be enough, if I recall a study, a huge number, … lets start planting trees.
Or if it means, investing in Energy saving measures.

It will work, if enough peoble do it.

With Kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users