• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

#1381 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-30, 20:10

Of all the remarkable things I've heard over the past year or so, this quote is possibly the most surprising:

So what does it portend for the future that science has been so corrupted that it is dictated by political demands rather than observable facts?

Who said it?
Spoiler

#1382 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-June-01, 09:42

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-May-30, 20:10, said:

Of all the remarkable things I've heard over the past year or so, this quote is possibly the most surprising:

Yes, out of context it seems very surprising. But then you watch the interview, and his (and the interviewee's) feeling that science has been perverted is precisely due to his political bias.

They just don't understand how science works.

#1383 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-June-01, 10:19

View Postbarmar, on 2021-June-01, 09:42, said:

Yes, out of context it seems very surprising. But then you watch the interview, and his (and the interviewee's) feeling that science has been perverted is precisely due to his political bias.

They know. but they also know that to be effective the lies of propaganda must be continually repeated.

Their agenda is power, and there is no sacrifice-truth or democracy itself-that is too great to deflect their pursuit of that end .
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1384 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-01, 10:38

Well, if I knew this question could get settled, I'd certainly be happy to make a bet with Tyler Cowen that SARS-Cov-2 is a normal zoonotic virus.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#1385 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-03, 16:45

A few days ago I listened to the economist Carlo Cottarelli, former director of IMF. Talking about Covid impact and response by nation, he said that death rates per nation varied very significantly (I could probably remember the numbers for NZ and Belgium if pushed) and that GNP and health spending had near zero correlation with these rates: the key factors for a high death rate were early incidence of epidemic, PM2 pollution and lack of a traditional culture of distancing. That certainly rings true here in northern Italy.

#1386 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-03, 17:43

Just in from the Australian Broadcasting Commission:
"Regional Victorians no longer need a reason to leave home."
I'm sure they'll be delighted.

#1387 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2021-June-03, 17:46

Well, maybe the former director of IMF should stick to economics. I mean, wtf. I mean seriously, as former director of IMF maybe he could have heard of the country "China"?
One of the most idiotic statements I have heard.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#1388 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-04, 08:11

View Postcherdano, on 2021-June-03, 17:46, said:

Well, maybe the former director of IMF should stick to economics. I mean, wtf. I mean seriously, as former director of IMF maybe he could have heard of the country "China"?
One of the most idiotic statements I have heard.

China is a huge and varied country and of course includes Wuhan: I imagine it is not easy to compare as a whole with NZ, Belgium, Israel etc.
Which part of his statement do you find idiotic with relation to China or some part of China?

#1389 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2021-June-04, 11:36

China had early incidence of the pandemic, has high pollution, and I would say a "lack of a traditional culture of distancing". So basically he is only 100% wrong.

#1390 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-04, 16:02

View Postcherdano, on 2021-June-04, 11:36, said:

China had early incidence of the pandemic, has high pollution, and I would say a "lack of a traditional culture of distancing". So basically he is only 100% wrong.

No, he's right and you are wrong.

Some parts of China - which is a huge country by landmass - have 'high pollution' - most of it does not.
Your understanding of Chinese culture seems to be close to zero.

#1391 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-04, 16:11

View Postbarmar, on 2021-June-01, 09:42, said:

I disagree. The right fringe knows how science works, they just don't like what the results say. Interesting that the guy interviewed is from the right fringe Hoover Institution, founded by world renowned economics guru Herbert Hoover. If you want to have a catastrophic world depression, Hoover is the guy with all the answers.

That clown masquerading as an academic Hanson attempted to equate scientists, Democrats, and Liberals to the people who put Galileo in jail for saying the earth revolved around the sun. What an a**hole. It was the catholic church that disagreed and was the force behind Galileo being arrested and convicted. These days it is the evangelical churches that don't believe in any science that contradicts their charlatan voodoo and the Republicans that owe much of their political power to sucking (up to) fake christian TV personalities masquerading as evangelical leaders.

#1392 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2021-June-05, 17:15

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-June-04, 16:02, said:

Some parts of China - which is a huge country by landmass - have 'high pollution' - most of it does not.

Doesn't matter whether most of the landmass has high pollution - it matters whether most people are exposed to high pollution. (Though I admit this may already have changed a lot since I last visited.)

I certainly have little understanding of Chinese culture; but maybe more importantly I guess I don't understand what "lack of a traditional culture of distancing" if it doesn't apply to China.

In any case, this view all sounds like someone who has not thought about this topic since last summer. Early incidence mattered for the size of the first wave. But most deaths in Europe occurred in later waves.

#1393 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-June-05, 17:33

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-June-04, 16:02, said:

If only there were some way to look at air quality in China
Perhaps a map like the following

https://aqicn.org/map/china/

And compare this to air quality in, say, North America or Europe

https://aqicn.org/map/europe/
https://aqicn.org/map/northamerica/

This would actually allow usto make some informed comparisons without relying on Pilowsky's typical bullshit claims
Alderaan delenda est

#1394 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-05, 17:41

View Postcherdano, on 2021-June-05, 17:15, said:

Doesn't matter whether most of the landmass has high pollution - it matters whether most people are exposed to high pollution. (Though I admit this may already have changed a lot since I last visited.)

My only data points are Shanghai, Wuhan the train trip between them. I didn't see blue sky on the 900+ km trip either direction. The pictures from Wuhan during lockdown were the first indications of blue sky I saw from either city.

#1395 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-05, 18:02

Where do you think all ***** that you buy in the USA - and Australia and Europe - come from?
The USA has a trade deficit with China that is more than three times larger than any other Country.
China -78.6; Mexico -25.8; Vietnam -20.4 etc

Blaming China for causing pollution is like blaming your car for causing pollution when you drive it.
Richard talks about "Pilowsky's bullshit"
He should clean up his own backyard. That's where the biggest herd of cattle is.

You talk the left-wing talk but what comes out sounds just like Trump.

#1396 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-June-05, 18:07

View Postsfi, on 2021-June-05, 17:41, said:

My only data points are Shanghai, Wuhan the train trip between them. I didn't see blue sky on the 900+ km trip either direction. The pictures from Wuhan during lockdown were the first indications of blue sky I saw from either city.

For what its worth, in the last decade I spent

1. About four weeks traveling through Yunnan a couple years ago
2. About three weeks in Sichuan, mostly around Chengdu
3. About three weeks in / around Beijing and Hunnan

The air quality was fine up around the Tibetan peninsula, but horrific otherwise.
Alderaan delenda est

#1397 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-June-05, 18:27

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-June-05, 18:02, said:

Where do you think all ***** that you buy in the USA - and Australia and Europe - come from?
The USA has a trade deficit with China that is more than three times larger than any other Country.
China -78.6; Mexico -25.8; Vietnam -20.4 etc

Blaming China for causing pollution is like blaming your car for causing pollution when you drive it.
Richard talks about "Pilowsky's bullshit"
He should clean up his own backyard. That's where the biggest herd of cattle is.

You talk the left-wing talk but what comes out sounds just like Trump.

Oh look!

Pillowsky has once more been called out for his bullshit and now is he is desperately trying to distract away from his original claim.

I never "blamed China" for "causing pollution".
This is a strawman that you are inventing.

Moreover, the fact that you prefer to rail against imaginary claims rather than dealing with the actual arguments that people present is (part of) the reason that I talking about "Pillowsky bullshit".

I did point out that raw data suggests that air quality in China is much much worse than than in North America or Europe.

In addition, as Cherdano notes: The air quality in those areas of China that are densely populated is particularly bad.
Alderaan delenda est

#1398 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-05, 18:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2021-June-05, 18:27, said:

Oh look!

Pillowsky has once more been called out for his bullshit and now is he is desperately trying to distract away from his original claim.

I never "blamed China" for "causing pollution".
This is a strawman that you are inventing.

Moreover, the fact that you prefer to rail against imaginary claims rather than dealing with the actual arguments that people present is (part of) the reason that I talking about "Pillowsky bullshit".

I did point out that raw data suggests that air quality in China is much much worse than than in North America or Europe.

In addition, as Cherdano notes: The air quality in those areas of China that are densely populated is particularly bad.

Oh look Richard -
China is the engine room of the US economy.
When the US blames China for all its problems it conveniently forgets that it pays China to create the problems that it complains about.
A private US security firm also supplies Chinese state media with its server capacity so that it can safely pump false narratives into the atmosphere without fear of cyber attack.
Good job.

#1399 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-June-05, 19:56

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-June-05, 18:46, said:

Oh look Richard -
China is the engine room of the US economy.
When the US blames China for all its problems it conveniently forgets that it pays China to create the problems that it complains about.
A private US security firm also supplies Chinese state media with its server capacity so that it can safely pump false narratives into the atmosphere without fear of cyber attack.
Good job.

Once again *****wit, the issue here is NOT whether not the US is outsourcing pollution to China.

Rather, this is another yet another example where

1. You start by making a claim that is factually incorrect
2. You are mentally and emotionally incapable of engaging with this reality
3. You desperately try to change the subject to something else

I don't think so
Hommie don't play dat
Alderaan delenda est

#1400 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-05, 21:12

You're very trying Richard.
Not making any sense but clearly trying.

Also, try to be more imaginative when insulting people.
Your current level of ranting is becoming boring.

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users