BBO Discussion Forums: An unexpected problem with selecting 10am/5pm/7:30pm ACBL club benefitting games - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An unexpected problem with selecting 10am/5pm/7:30pm ACBL club benefitting games

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-March-25, 05:11

The Common Game separates games into three time categories:

1. Morning
2. Afternoon
3. Night

The three times for the club benefiting ACBL/BBO/Common Game games:

1. 10:00 a.m. EDT
2. 5:00 p.m. EDT
3. 7:30 p.m. EDT

A problem is that the Common Game is treating the 5:00 p.m. as a NIGHT game (instead of an AFTERNOON game), so they have TWO night games and only one "slot" for one game in that night slot, thereby potentially screwing up the posting of results and hand records on the Common Game website.

I think this might be the reason the Sunday 5:00 p.m. EDT game I played in never had emails sent out nor can you access hand records or board results on the Common Game website for this game - which (no coincidence!) happened AFTER the 7:30 p.m. EDT game was born. I also played on Friday the 20th at 5:00 p.m. and everything was good - but the 7:30 p.m. game had not yet been started by that date.

This problem would be solved by either:

1. Move the 5:00 p.m. game to 4:00 p.m. and call it an AFTERNOON game. This makes so much sense and should have been at that time (if not slightly earlier) since why would you hold a 5:00 p.m. game which interferes with dinner for the entire east coast when 4:00 p.m. EDT is much less problematic and also allows a nice 1:00 p.m. PDT time for the west coasters?

2. If it really is impossible to move the 5:00 p.m. game to 4:00 p.m., then just call that game an AFTERNOON game, even if normally breaks some Common Game rule to call a game that starts that late to be an afternoon game. Remember it finishes at 7:00 p.m., being only two hours long.

For those that think there is not a posting problem, try getting hand record (PDF/PBN/LIN/HTML) for very recent games on the Common Game website, especially for one of the night games.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-March-25, 09:00

The Support Your Club games have been extremely popular. But the time period from 2-4pm is our busiest time, because it's also early evening in Europe. We scheduled SYC to try to minimize the overlap, both to avoid overloading our servers and because we don't have enough TDs for both of them.

I forwarded this thread to Jay Whipple, maybe he can fix the categorization of the 5pm game at his end.

#3 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-26, 03:13

Run it at 4:59:59 ??

#4 User is offline   passedout7 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-26, 09:49

View PostBudH, on 2020-March-25, 05:11, said:

The Common Game separates games into three time categories:

1. Morning
2. Afternoon
3. Night

The three times for the club benefiting ACBL/BBO/Common Game games:

1. 10:00 a.m. EDT
2. 5:00 p.m. EDT
3. 7:30 p.m. EDT

A problem is that the Common Game is treating the 5:00 p.m. as a NIGHT game (instead of an AFTERNOON game), so they have TWO night games and only one "slot" for one game in that night slot, thereby potentially screwing up the posting of results and hand records on the Common Game website.

I think this might be the reason the Sunday 5:00 p.m. EDT game I played in never had emails sent out nor can you access hand records or board results on the Common Game website for this game - which (no coincidence!) happened AFTER the 7:30 p.m. EDT game was born. I also played on Friday the 20th at 5:00 p.m. and everything was good - but the 7:30 p.m. game had not yet been started by that date.

This problem would be solved by either:

1. Move the 5:00 p.m. game to 4:00 p.m. and call it an AFTERNOON game. This makes so much sense and should have been at that time (if not slightly earlier) since why would you hold a 5:00 p.m. game which interferes with dinner for the entire east coast when 4:00 p.m. EDT is much less problematic and also allows a nice 1:00 p.m. PDT time for the west coasters?

2. If it really is impossible to move the 5:00 p.m. game to 4:00 p.m., then just call that game an AFTERNOON game, even if normally breaks some Common Game rule to call a game that starts that late to be an afternoon game. Remember it finishes at 7:00 p.m., being only two hours long.

For those that think there is not a posting problem, try getting hand record (PDF/PBN/LIN/HTML) for very recent games on the Common Game website, especially for one of the night games.

I agree!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users