• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Team Match - switch halfway?

#1 User is offline   freds1729 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-27, 14:59

Hi there,

When running a team match, is it possible to switch round halfway through, so that one pair plays both pairs from the other team?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-28, 01:22

No.

You have to run two matches, swapping the pairs manually for the second match. You will have to manually/mentally total the scores from the two matches.

BBO has never implemented such a switch and I guess for a number of reasons;
  • never been asked; although common in many regions it is less common in the USA and so was not on the original feature list.
  • the attention span of the traditional BBO player is less than 8 boards and longer tournaments and matches were never popular. The attention span of those joining over the last couple of months seems to be a lot longer.
  • the two pairs at the quicker table would be trapped in the team match until the other table finished. This would not be ideal; the alternative is to let the players 'go' and then you need them to come back for the second half. What do you do about those who abandon the match at half-time because they are losing heavily?
From BBO's perspective, this is a challenge to customer satisfaction and support provision which they might consider better to avoid. So it's not quite as simple as most would think. And you must remember that the increasing number of people asking for this feature are very different to BBO players to the past.

As the changes to BBO gets prioritised, I suspect this one will be low on the list.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-April-28, 09:28

Question (which I don't expect you'll be able to answer, Paul): Is there a way to start a team match with a handicap, the way we can do VuGraph segments?

If so, setting up the back-half team match is annoying, but trivial - stick in the result of the first half, and it plays like our two-segment KOs here in WestPondia. If not, of course, you have to do this "in your head" or by the owner reporting the match carefully if it's going to someone else.

I can think of several uses for this, actually, right down to "giving a team a handicap" when C team is practising for CNTC flight C against friends-and-coaches A team.

As the changes to BBO gets prioritised, I suspect this one will be low on the list.
True, but where did I hear that? (and rightly so!)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-28, 10:09

View Postmycroft, on 2020-April-28, 09:28, said:

Question (which I don't expect you'll be able to answer, Paul): Is there a way to start a team match with a handicap, the way we can do VuGraph segments?

Easy to answer: no. Posted Image

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users