• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

alerted but not in range is this OK?

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-03, 08:51

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-02, 14:34, said:

But I would say 'always' for #6 and 'in most cases' (coherent with #5) for #7.

Doesn't EBU use its color-coding system for misbids similarly to psyches? I think the justification is that if you make the same misbid too often, your partner may come to expect it, much like a repeated psychic bid, so it becomes an implicit agreement.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-03, 14:38

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-03, 08:51, said:

Doesn't EBU use its color-coding system for misbids similarly to psyches? I think the justification is that if you make the same misbid too often, your partner may come to expect it, much like a repeated psychic bid, so it becomes an implicit agreement.

No idea, maybe Gordon or someone else from EBU can answer here.
I am in FIGB where there are no systems for recording any behaviour except severe disciplinary violations.
But it would be normal for any decent TD to note a pattern of making the same misbid, which equates to an agreement and arguably merits some stigma too.

#23 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-04, 04:35

It's a trivial but fun point, Psyche was a Greek Goddess - wife of Eros (Cupid). Would you want to meet her in a field?
As for a 'decent TD' wikiHow has some useful info on the best way to become a decent person.
Here is a link.

Treat others with respect. Be dependable. Avoid Judgement. Be supportive. Listen. Don’t keep score. Be honest. Don’t be Negative, Be humorous. Be forgiving, Be Calm, Be Encouraging, Foster empathy, Don’t be critical.

Possibly you meant a reasonable TD as in the TD on the Clapham omnibus. Now that would be a different kettle of fish.

The man on the Clapham omnibus.

English legal scholar Percy Henry Winfield summarized much of the literature by observing that:

[H]e has not the courage of Achilles, the wisdom of Ulysses or the strength of Hercules, nor has he the prophetic vision of a clairvoyant. He will not anticipate folly in all its forms but he never puts out of consideration the teachings of experience and so will guard against negligence of others when experience shows such negligence to be common. He is a reasonable man but not a perfect citizen, nor a "paragon of circumspection. ..."[21].

Of course, in America, it's different.

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-04, 09:10

No, but IIRC, they used to. Here's the 2019 White Book:

1.4.2.6 Misbids

A partnership’s actions following a misbid may provide evidence of a partnership understanding which should have been properly disclosed. Unlike psyches, misbids are not classified as red, amber or green, but can be recorded.

Because of the difference between the player’s understanding of their call and any alerts and answers to questions by their partner it is quite common for unauthorised information problems to be present.

Not EBU, just reading their books.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2020-August-22, 02:29

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-02, 14:34, said:

I agree 98% and upvoted the post.
But I would say 'always' for #6 and 'in most cases' (coherent with #5) for #7.
Let the stigma be for deliberate deviations where partner might remember.

It's definitely not 'always' for #6. If the RA forbids a certain bid with less than a defined point count this applies to misbids, too.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users