• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad problem Not very helpful, I guess

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-06, 09:25

Playing IMPs against bots, this came up:

As usual, Robot North finds a weird opening lead of 8. Dummy plays Q, you win with the K as declarer plays 2.

Clearly, it is time to switch. Which suit and which card?

Caution: The problem may not be very instructive. I thought I made the right play only to find that my choice was not winning.

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-06, 10:38

shyams 'Playing IMPs against bots, this came up: As usual, Robot North finds a weird opening lead of 8. Dummy plays Q, you win with the K as declarer plays 2. Clearly, it is time to switch. Which suit and which card? Caution: The problem may not be very instructive. I thought I made the right play only to find that my choice was not winning'.
++++++++++++++++++++
My guess: AT, hoping GIB that has KJ9xx and isn't bogged down in its new Double-dummy Misère mode.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-October-06, 11:07

View Postnige1, on 2020-October-06, 10:38, said:

shyams 'Playing IMPs against bots, this came up: As usual, Robot North finds a weird opening lead of 8. Dummy plays Q, you win with the K as declarer plays 2. Clearly, it is time to switch. Which suit and which card? Caution: The problem may not be very instructive. I thought I made the right play only to find that my choice was not winning'.
++++++++++++++++++++
My guess: AT, hoping GIB that has KJ9xx and isn't bogged down in its new Double-dummy Misère mode.

I'd go for that as well, though if that was the layout, why did North not lead a diamond?

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 05:08

Well, I switched to the 9 of hearts. I spent some considerable time before I played this card.

Interestingly, the switch suggested by nige1 and seconded by AL78 works wonders. Partner did have KJxxx.

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-October-07, 08:16

View Postshyams, on 2020-October-07, 05:08, said:

Well, I switched to the 9 of hearts. I spent some considerable time before I played this card.

Interestingly, the switch suggested by nige1 and seconded by AL78 works wonders. Partner did have KJxxx.

Amazing. Playing with one of my regular partners this problem would not arise, because they would have led their fourth highest diamond (as would everyone else defending the same contract and same declarer).

#6 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 08:58

View PostAL78, on 2020-October-07, 08:16, said:

Amazing. Playing with one of my regular partners this problem would not arise, because they would have led their fourth highest diamond (as would everyone else defending the same contract and same declarer).

Agreed. This is what caused me to caveat with a title and additional description in the OP. The bots do tend to make weird opening leads.

The way I saw it, declarer was likely to be 3=3=5=2 OR 3=3=4=3 (bots rarely/never bypass a 4-card major to bid 1NT). In reality West GIB held 3=3=3=4 and partner had divined to lead top of doubleton!

I thought my switch to 9 was sound. I still am unsure if I made the right switch (in principle).

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 13:12

View PostAL78, on 2020-October-06, 11:07, said:

I'd go for that as well, though if that was the layout, why did North not lead a diamond?

As OP noted

Playing IMPs against bots, this came up:

Those leads are what GIB does all the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users