BBO Discussion Forums: Kicking myself over this missed doube - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kicking myself over this missed doube

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-07, 15:58

However I was too sleepy to notice my JTxx of trumps and naturally assumed that when EW bid to 6C they had all the keycards and my Jack was the losing trick. Not sure what the North bot was thinking either. I'm not sure who is most responsible for not doubling

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 16:07

North should double.

You might decide to double but I think it's ok not to double:
- It is possible that a double can inspire declarer to find the right play in the club suit.
- Double may be seen as Lightner (i.e. showing a void somewhere, hoping partner can guess which suit)
- Partner is still there, so you don't need to double based on his cards.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 16:27

Thx Helene.

Looking back at the hand and my strange play I think I had even switched off and forgotten that clubs were trumps and almost accidentally made my Jack and Ten

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 19:32

Solid bidding by GIBs. After East shows 26-28 points by raising to 4, how can West stay out of 6. Slam should make with 33 points. It was very unlucky that 6 didn't make and I can't really see what the problem was. I guess it was just good defense by N/S. Double by N/S sounds very suspicious to me with such strong bidding by E/W.

#5 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-07, 19:49

View Postjohnu, on 2020-October-07, 19:32, said:

Solid bidding by GIBs. After East shows 26-28 points by raising to 4, how can West stay out of 6. Slam should make with 33 points. It was very unlucky that 6 didn't make and I can't really see what the problem was. I guess it was just good defense by N/S. Double by N/S sounds very suspicious to me with such strong bidding by E/W.

Let's be fair to West. East did show something closer to a 26 count with 5 clubs than a hand that maybe would have been best described by a 1NT overcall.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-08, 02:28

View Postsfi, on 2020-October-07, 19:49, said:

Let's be fair to West. East did show something closer to a 26 count with 5 clubs than a hand that maybe would have been best described by a 1NT overcall.

It was just unlucky that the 3 missing aces and 6 trumps to the J10 were in the wrong hands. On a different deal, slam could have been cold.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users