• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Effect of "+roundsN+" string Disparity in tournament description

#1 User is offline   stu23 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-11, 02:41

I can't find this covered anywhere

If I try to run a Howell tournament with a Format of 27 boards in 3 board rounds (for 5 tables), but omit to remove a string saying "+rounds8+", will BBO resolve this by running only 8x3, ie the string overrides the format [I am concerned this string could cause a problem were we to get 7 tables, as the overide would take us from an intended 26 (2x13) boards down to 16 (2x8)]

I am hoping a discrepancy between descriptions in the Format and this string is resolved by the system somehow

#2 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Statistics , Quantitative Research, Bridge, Reading Crime stories & thrillers

Posted 2020-October-11, 03:56

stu23, on 2020-October-11, 02:41, said:

I can't find this covered anywhere

If I try to run a Howell tournament with a Format of 27 boards in 3 board rounds (for 5 tables), but omit to remove a string saying "+rounds8+", will BBO resolve this by running only 8x3, ie the string overrides the format [I am concerned this string could cause a problem were we to get 7 tables, as the overide would take us from an intended 26 (2x13) boards down to 16 (2x8)]

I am hoping a discrepancy between descriptions in the Format and this string is resolved by the system somehow

+roundsX+ means that you do not run a full howell but one with X rounds.

Given 5 table a full howell is 9 rounds. using +rounds8+ you get only 8 rounds.

if you do not specify a special number of rounds you will get a full howell

#3 User is offline   stu23 

• Pip

Posted 2020-October-11, 04:40

Forgive me please for seeking clarification, but the Format Box says Total Boards, Time per Board, Boards per Round. In this example if I were to put in 27, t, 3 whilst leaving in the rounds8 string (in the Description Box), the system would resolve the issue by reducing it to 24 boards, ie 8 rounds of 3 boards?

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-11, 06:15

stu23, on 2020-October-11, 04:40, said:

Forgive me please for seeking clarification, but the Format Box says Total Boards, Time per Board, Boards per Round. In this example if I were to put in 27, t, 3 whilst leaving in the rounds8 string (in the Description Box), the system would resolve the issue by reducing it to 24 boards, ie 8 rounds of 3 boards?

From what I have seen happen, yes (24 is closer to 27 than 32 and it will not disregard the +rounds hack).

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-October-11, 23:31

If you don't use +rounds8+, the total boards you specify will be treated as an approximation. It will run a full Howell, and adjust the boards per round to come as close as possible to the total.

If you do use +roundsN+, it will divide the total boards by N to get the boards per round. If it doesn't divide evenly, it will round to the closest number (.5 rounds up).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users