BBO Discussion Forums: Pre-Dealt Boards for Teams Matches - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-Dealt Boards for Teams Matches Getting BBO to use specified board nos & vulnerability

#1 User is offline   NigelatBM 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-12, 03:53

I'm planning to use BBO to host some teams-of-8 matches. I'm aware that there's no specific support for these, but teams-of-8 matches operate as two or more teams-of-4 matches anyway. What I'm trying to achieve is to have each pair of one team play six boards against each pair of the opposing team, which is no problem, and I want each of my 24 boards to be played by all pairs of both teams, again no problem in principle, but ...

I have a program which creates four Lin files from a 24-board pbn file, containing respectively boards 1-6, 7-12, etc. The Lin files include the correct board numbers, vulnerability, and dealer for each of boards 1-24. I import the Lin files into four separate folders in my Deal archive, and if I click on one of the boards, BBO displays the board with its correct number [1-24], dealer, and vulnerability.

But when I specify one of these folders as a deal source when I'm setting up a 6-board match, BBO ignores the settings in the Lin files, and applies the settings as if we were using boards 1-6.

Is there any way of overcoming this BBO split personality?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-12, 10:01

There is no easy way, as far as I am aware, and I not sure the complicated ways would work even if they were acceptable (which involve 24-board matches and appropriate substitutions, since I don't think you can substitute an existing player into a different seat during a match).

The teams of eight match that I've run used 2 x 12-boards with one change of opponents as the compromise. Of course there were two sets of 1-12 boards, rather than 1-24, but at least EBUScore could cope with it.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-12, 14:02

There is a somewhat messy but practically feasible way to achieve this. Say you have a predealt file of 24 board which you want to split as 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24.

For session 1, upload a file with the first 6 boards of your set.
For session 2, create a LIN file where the first SIX boards are replicas of an impossible hand (e.g. W AKQJ1098765432 -- -- --, N -- AKQJ1098765432 -- --; you get the point!) to each player and boards 7-12 are the real boards.
For session 3, create a LIN file where the first TWELVE boards are replicas of the impossible hand, followed by real boards 13-18.
For session 4, create a LIN file with ONLY TWO boards that are replicas of the impossible hand, followed by real boards 19-24.

The players can be instructed to pass out boards 1-6 (session 2), boards 1-12 (session 3) and boards 1-2 (session 4) before they play their real boards.

It's messy and a bit annoying to the players (especially session 3 where one has to pass out 12 boards before reaching the real set) but it should work. It is probably best if the same filler hand is repeated every time.

#4 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-October-23, 06:02

View PostNigelatBM, on 2020-October-12, 03:53, said:

I'm planning to use BBO to host some teams-of-8 matches. I'm aware that there's no specific support for these, but teams-of-8 matches operate as two or more teams-of-4 matches anyway. What I'm trying to achieve is to have each pair of one team play six boards against each pair of the opposing team, which is no problem, and I want each of my 24 boards to be played by all pairs of both teams, again no problem in principle, but ...

I have a program which creates four Lin files from a 24-board pbn file, containing respectively boards 1-6, 7-12, etc. The Lin files include the correct board numbers, vulnerability, and dealer for each of boards 1-24. I import the Lin files into four separate folders in my Deal archive, and if I click on one of the boards, BBO displays the board with its correct number [1-24], dealer, and vulnerability.

But when I specify one of these folders as a deal source when I'm setting up a 6-board match, BBO ignores the settings in the Lin files, and applies the settings as if we were using boards 1-6.

Is there any way of overcoming this BBO split personality?

I have run teams of eight matches in two sessions each of 8 boards.

It is not difficult but does need close attention to the steps involved.

1) Obtain two LIN files of eight boards each and label them carefully. 1 and 2, A and B or whatever.

2) Set up one team of 4v4 using the first pre-dealt LIN file, let the match run.

3) Once the first match is started, set up the second 4v4 using THE SAME pre-dealt board set.

Ask all players to stay online when their first 'game' is over.

4) reseat the players from ONE team in the opposite orientation and select the second LIN file. once that game is underway then

5) Do the same again with reseating the players from the same team as (4) leaving the opponents in the same seats as for the first 'game' and use the SECOND LIN file again.

Once all games are completed, it is then possible to use BBOExtractor and BBOtoXML to download and merge results for uploading the club websites and determine the result.

This delivers a match score, Cross IMps and full records for viewing on a club website.

#5 User is offline   davetarsky 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-October-30, 17:04

No.

Irrespective of how the boards are numbered when you create the LIN file,when you start a team match, the first board is always board 1, N dealer, love all.

BBO have said there is no fix

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users