Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMPS

#1 User is offline   LilianaW 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-25, 08:07

Sometimes a pair makes a score, lets say a game in hearts. If the hand was played bu S lets say it gets less IMPs that if was played by N. can some one explain?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-25, 09:34

LilianaW, on 2020-October-25, 08:07, said:

Sometimes a pair makes a score, lets say a game in hearts. If the hand was played bu S lets say it gets less IMPs that if was played by N. can some one explain?

On this hand, North can make more tricks than South. It is due to the opening lead.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-25, 09:44

It doesn't happen: on any specific board the IMP score for a contract will be the same whether it is played by North or South.

At a casual table, every result is compared with 15 other tables that played the same board. If you are the first table to play the board, then the IMP score will change every time someone else plays the hand, until 15 comparison are available.

If you are looking at different boards, then you cannot compare the scores. For example, it is highly likely that 4 will score differently on board 3 and board 5, it has nothing to with North or South playing the contract.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-October-26, 12:23

Further to paulg's post, This happens at matchpoints too. If you compare with a friend in an instant tournament you might find that their +420 scores slightly differently to yours because you are comparing against 14 different tables.

You might try playing the weekly free instant tournament then watching Pete Hollands' video. Sometimes Pete will play a board for +420 = 55% and you will find that you made the same score but got 57% (or whatever). Paulg's post explains why

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-26, 13:07

Douglas43, on 2020-October-26, 12:23, said:

You might try playing the weekly free instant tournament then watching Pete Hollands' video. Sometimes Pete will play a board for +420 = 55% and you will find that you made the same score but got 57% (or whatever). Paulg's post explains why

The weekly free you're always compared against the same players.. so that shouldn't be possible.

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-October-27, 13:27

Sorry, I stand corrected

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users